PDA

View Full Version : how do i shave the front badge?

ESDEEZ
07-05-2007, 07:23 AM
We all know ther are 2 holes there but how do i round the back of them holes to but some backing there?

Strahan
07-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Go to the body shop, have them fill them. Alternatively, get some Bondo or something and fill them yourself then sand and paint.

2ndGenGuy
07-05-2007, 09:36 AM
That's how people know it's a Honda!

coope
07-05-2007, 06:32 PM
really man don't do it

A18A
07-05-2007, 07:46 PM
That's how people know it's a Honda!
haha

lostforawhile
07-05-2007, 08:12 PM
i put the old school honda lettering in the grill,and got rid of the hood H. if you want to fill the hole:
sand the paint to bare metal about an inch all the way around where the holes are.
take a small center punch,put it in the center of each hole,and make a small shallow dent for each hole, the hole is the center of the dent,it should be about a 1/16 of an inch deep.
now carefully fill the small dents and holes,it may take a couple of coats,and rough sanding between each coat. use 80 grit for the rough sanding.
once you get it sanded level, and roughed out,finish sanding with 180 grit paper.
spray the area with a couple of coats of self etch primer,nappa is good,as well as duplicolor self etching primer. follow the directions on the can carefully.
wet sand out the self etch primer with 600-800 grit wet or dry paper
finish paint
***the reason for the dents,is the filler needs a place to go,if you try and place it on a flat surface,it'll just fall off when you sand it. it needs something like a small dent to key to. it basically has to have somewhere to go. a lot of people try to fill those holes on a flat surface, thats why it often fails.

MessyHonda
07-05-2007, 08:46 PM
i used fiberglass. then bondo

lostforawhile
07-05-2007, 08:51 PM
when i get a chance,i will take some pictures of doing this on my old hatch cover, it's very easy and it works great

Hazwan
07-05-2007, 11:04 PM
i used fiberglass. then bondo

Yup, thats what I did.

I shaved all badges on my car. I don't need people to know its a Honda!

lostforawhile
07-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Yup, thats what I did.
I shaved all badges on my car. I don't need people to know its a Honda!why go through all the trouble with the fiberglass? all you need is a small indent where each hole is and the filler will cover it perfectly. thats the way i did mine and i haven't had any kind of problem with it. this is an old school trick,it's probably been around as long as they've been customizing cars.

MessyHonda
07-06-2007, 12:34 AM
why go through all the trouble with the fiberglass? all you need is a small indent where each hole is and the filler will cover it perfectly. thats the way i did mine and i haven't had any kind of problem with it. this is an old school trick,it's probably been around as long as they've been customizing cars.

because filler is not water proof. when my dx got rear engine it pushed it to the front car messing up the hood....they drilled holes to pull out the dent. and just bondo over it.....lots of water hits the front and the filler just expanded till it cracked the paint. so i fiberglassed it this time and it should be good as new.

A18A
07-06-2007, 12:53 AM
my car didnt come with the 2 holes for the honda badge :thumbup:

Hazwan
07-06-2007, 12:56 AM
why go through all the trouble with the fiberglass? all you need is a small indent where each hole is and the filler will cover it perfectly. thats the way i did mine and i haven't had any kind of problem with it. this is an old school trick,it's probably been around as long as they've been customizing cars.

I dunno, my dad said its better to fiberglass than just bondo over it. He didn't say why, but I guess its what Messy said..

2drSE-i
07-06-2007, 07:18 AM
because filler is not water proof. when my dx got rear engine it pushed it to the front car messing up the hood....they drilled holes to pull out the dent. and just bondo over it.....lots of water hits the front and the filler just expanded till it cracked the paint. so i fiberglassed it this time and it should be good as new.

it more than likely cracked because they did a horrible job applying it. if you think about it, paint should protect anything under it. thats why your car wont rust until the paint and clearcoat come off.

MessyHonda
07-06-2007, 07:34 AM
it more than likely cracked because they did a horrible job applying it. if you think about it, paint should protect anything under it. thats why your car wont rust until the paint and clearcoat come off.

they did a great job. lasted around 10 years. if you check under the hood it has holes so water got in that was absorbed by the bondo that made it expand and rust a lil bit. i got it all fixed now so it wont ever happen again. they dont paint under the hood so no primer or paint was there to protect it.

lostforawhile
07-06-2007, 01:05 PM
they did a great job. lasted around 10 years. if you check under the hood it has holes so water got in that was absorbed by the bondo that made it expand and rust a lil bit. i got it all fixed now so it wont ever happen again. they dont paint under the hood so no primer or paint was there to protect it.
if your filler went bad,then something was done wrong as i suggested,if body filler is used correctly and painted and primered over, then it shouldn't do this. it was probably applied to a flat surface, and came loose allowing water to get under it's edges. thats another reason to make an impression where the holes are, that filler needs to solidly adhere to the surface. the small area where the holes are isn't enough. it has to have enough surface area it can contact. also never use the bondo brand crap, it sucks. use a quality filler for proffesional body work. i use the nappa brand myself,and it actually costs less then the bondo brand.

MessyHonda
07-06-2007, 11:43 PM
yeah....i didnt do the work it was some AAA aproved body shop....i guess we all learn our lesson...if you want it done right do it your self.

baqnblaq
07-07-2007, 03:44 AM
i put the old school honda lettering in the grill,and got rid of the hood H. if you want to fill the hole:
sand the paint to bare metal about an inch all the way around where the holes are.
take a small center punch,put it in the center of each hole,and make a small shallow dent for each hole, the hole is the center of the dent,it should be about a 1/16 of an inch deep.
now carefully fill the small dents and holes,it may take a couple of coats,and rough sanding between each coat. use 80 grit for the rough sanding.
once you get it sanded level, and roughed out,finish sanding with 180 grit paper.
spray the area with a couple of coats of self etch primer,nappa is good,as well as duplicolor self etching primer. follow the directions on the can carefully.
wet sand out the self etch primer with 600-800 grit wet or dry paper
finish paint
***the reason for the dents,is the filler needs a place to go,if you try and place it on a flat surface,it'll just fall off when you sand it. it needs something like a small dent to key to. it basically has to have somewhere to go. a lot of people try to fill those holes on a flat surface, thats why it often fails.

This right here I think is your best bet. Instead of using bondo, use a product called duraglass. Its alot like bondo, but with small strands of fiberglass. It don't crack like bondo.

lostforawhile
07-07-2007, 07:28 AM
This right here I think is your best bet. Instead of using bondo, use a product called duraglass. Its alot like bondo, but with small strands of fiberglass. It don't crack like bondo.
the reason i didn't use duraglass is that it just doesn't feather that good. it would work great in an area you don't see as much,but on something like the hood,you need something that feathers really well. i used the nappa microlite.

brownj218
07-11-2007, 09:47 PM
i wanna do this too, but i dont understand wut ur saying about the center punch holes....i think a thread for this in the how-to section with pictures would be useful....

brownj218
07-16-2007, 08:39 PM
ah....nevermind. lol, i get it. alright, but how about the holes in the door for the molding clips? ive decided to remove my molding, just leave the ridge in the door, and fill the holes. those holes are much bigger than the holes for the emblem. i'm renting a mig to do my bodywork this week....does anyone think a tack weld would be a good idea?