PDA

View Full Version : DaveTheAve: Restoring a 88' Honda Accord

DaveTheAve
07-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Alrightly I got a 88' Honda Accord LXi-i recently ($200), got it in bad condition, and I'm trying to bring it back to life. I already took out four garbage _barrels_ full of trash and vacuumed the whole car (engine, truck, seats, carpet). The car came to me stalling and hard to start (ECU said ETC; fixing now) and on-top of that needed starting fluid every cold-start.

I'm currently working on removing the decals on the windows and attempting to find a new hood and passenger fender along with a new driver-side window regulator and radio (came without one).

The car needs some serious TLC and I'm not a mechanic but I'm willing to do my hardest to restore this car to operating form.

Browsing the forum recently, before membership I noticed these mods/repairs I wish to do:
- Replace ETC Sensor
- Repair the headlight motors
- Find & install new radio
- Remove (the little that's left [of]) the side molding & fill in
- Re-ground the engine
- Fix the body work (fender, hood, and re-attach the front bumper)
- Cold Air-Intake
- Find something to replace the are where the out-dated tape holder is
- New spark-plug wires (more power right??)
- New 17" rims and tires
- Install Strut Bar

If you have any ideas or know any links where I can learn how to do some of these things please share them with me via reply-post/email/IM/PM.
- and I need to make the RPM gauge stop being so wobbly!!!!

Not really an introduction but but hey, my name is David Branco, and I may be new to your forum and repairing cars, but I _WILL_ search the forum before I ask questions.

3G Jester
07-05-2007, 08:44 AM
the search button is an amazing tool.

DaveTheAve
07-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Yes it is, makes finding things so much quicker and easier.

MessyHonda
07-05-2007, 02:11 PM
get some pictures of your progress.

jschatte
07-05-2007, 02:46 PM
your gauge is wobbly becasue the end is loose on the thransmission, or it is busted and needs to be replaced

and :welcome:

ghettogeddy
07-05-2007, 02:50 PM
welcome and like messy said post some pics

BenAthar
07-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Trust me some of the info. you will find in here is by far better than any damn Chilton/Haynes manuals that you will buy. I have one and now it's used for a coaster of sorts. Make sure you download the manual that russiankid has avail. it the official Honda mechanics manual. A must read to get you Accord up an running to d/d use for now, till the mod bug kicks in!!!!! :D

DaveTheAve
07-05-2007, 06:13 PM
::crys:: I'm sorry, I don't have any pictures of the car when i first obtained it. :( However, I'll take some in the morning; I spent the day calling auto salvage yards looking for an 88 Honda Accord I can rip parts off.... Sadly I got nothing.

Oh and that manual, BenAthar, is a Haynes manual. I find it quite helpful, especially sense I know nothing about automotive repairs, but doesn't tell everything.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I'm sorry for any disturbance I may cause. I'm just a young adult trying to learn how to work on cars and get away from programming (If thats possible).

Edit: jschatte: Thanks for the information, that is quite an annoying feature of my Honda when I drive it.... I'll work on that tomorrow... I thought I needed to replace the WHOLE speedometer!!

coope
07-05-2007, 06:22 PM
i have a hood u can get for 40 plus shipped

Pico
07-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Here's the link to the download the OE Honda Manual
Click Here (http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html)
:welcome: to the forum