PDA

View Full Version : wierd wiring problem on 98 and treasures(sort of) hidden behind the dash

lostforawhile
07-05-2007, 06:03 PM
ok ran into something wierd,am putting a new head unit in my wifes 98 civic,the kenwood one that was installed in it is junk,and nothing works right on it. actually after dealing with it for six months,i'm going to take a hammer to it. piece of shit. i removed it slowly and painfully with a screwdriver,bit by bit. it suffered. bwhahahahaha!! anyway,i pull the lower panel off,to access the wiring mess, and i find the factory head unit stuffed behind the dash. it turns out,the key less entry system from the factory,is installed in the radio. what a designing moron. anyway,why they kept it i don't know,the car already has an aftermarket alarm, and it has keyless entry already in it. i guess this means i have factory keyless entry? i guess somebody lost the remote. and has anyone heard if they make a box that plugs into it,so i don't have to have that radio in there, stuffed back there?

ghettogeddy
07-05-2007, 06:08 PM
just take it out u dont have the key for the factory anyways so it shouldent hurt anything but ive never heard of having to leave the stock deack in there

lostforawhile
07-05-2007, 07:22 PM
just take it out u dont have the key for the factory anyways so it shouldent hurt anything but ive never heard of having to leave the stock deack in there
yea the control unit for the factory keyless entry is in the factory head unit. the antenna for the remotes is actually installed across the back of the deck. and there are two seperate plugs,one for the radio,and one for the keyless entry, the aftermarket radio adaptor actually has a special plug that goes to the factory radio to provide it with power memory and ground after you put in an aftermarket radio. this is just a stupid design if i've ever seen one. the factory head unit is useless anyway,unless you have the remote mount factory cd player,and factory tape deck. it's nothing but an am fm radio and a controller. i guess the plug in for the factory keyless entry would be an excellent point to plug in an aftermarket alarm,it has all the wires you need going to the factory power door lock unit. why they didn't do that i don't have a clue. actually after seeing the way they installed the alarm and remote start,i came to the conclusion,they were idiots.

1ajs
07-05-2007, 07:32 PM
thats sure weird hopefully they did not hack up the harnes......

AccordEpicenter
07-05-2007, 08:58 PM
yeah this is true in those civics