PDA

View Full Version : replacing axles

88accordSF
07-08-2007, 10:13 AM
was in the process of removing the drivers axle.

according to the master service manual, the castle nut comes off, then a bearing puller is supposed to be used to lower the bottom control arm off the wheel assembly. however, my bearing puller didn't seem to be able to grab the two side notches correctly, as they are a little slanted downward. just slips off from the sides every time.

don't want to use a tie rod fork, as that will likely f*** up the joint itself.

is there a specific tool for this particular job?

or maybe another way to remove the driveline? was trying to think of workarounds...

slacker
07-08-2007, 10:46 AM
yea i tried to do the same but the control arm wouldn't come off i was gonna hammer it but i figured that would be a bad idea lol i need to get the ball joint and the arm changed as well so i'm just gonna sell the car for parts :( sorry i'm no help but u can buy my car for parts if you want :)

Legend_master
07-08-2007, 10:58 AM
I always place the handle of my ratchet between the lower control arm and the hub, then I stick a hand jack on the bottom of the ball joint/lower control arm. I raise the jack until the ratchet is stuck in place. Sometimes they separate at this point without having to do anything else. If they don't, I take a hammer and slam the end of the ratchet down. Its hard to explain without seeing it, but I will post up some pics when I get off work.

88accordSF
07-08-2007, 06:12 PM
pics would be great, thanks.........

Legend_master
07-08-2007, 07:28 PM
pics would be great, thanks.........

Alright this is the best I can do.

Jack the car up.
Take the wheel off.
Place the end of the ratchet (or something that is similar in size) in between the LCA and the HUB.
Place a hand-jack under the ball joint and begin to jack up the hand-jack.

If the ball joint doesnt separate at this point then you can try hammering down(towards the ground) on the ratchet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/cb9d8ef8.jpg

russiankid
07-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Trust me the puller will get it off, it just takes some time to figure out on how to place it in there so it doesn't slip off. Or just do Legends idea.

azazel_18_2
07-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Are you trying to remove the lower ball joint? If so why? You don't have to. All you have to do is remove the tie rod end ,upper ball joint, and lower strut bolt.. I use a ball joint seperator on my air hammer and it pops it off so fast it isn't funny and I have never hurt a joint with it. Hope this helps.

Legend_master
07-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Are you trying to remove the lower ball joint? If so why? You don't have to. All you have to do is remove the tie rod end ,upper ball joint, and lower strut bolt.. I use a ball joint seperator on my air hammer and it pops it off so fast it isn't funny and I have never hurt a joint with it. Hope this helps.

Why the tie rod? and it's just as hard, if not harder to break the upper ball joint loose. You can just brake the lower ball joint loose and your ready to go.

88Accord-DX
07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
If I remember right, you have to remove that bolt on the bottom of the strut fork tower. The axle won't slide through it.

Legend_master
07-08-2007, 08:37 PM
If I remember right, you have to remove that bolt on the bottom of the strut fork tower. The axle won't slide through it.

Yes I forgot to mention that.

A18A
07-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Alright this is the best I can do.
Jack the car up.
Take the wheel off.
Place the end of the ratchet (or something that is similar in size) in between the LCA and the HUB.
Place a hand-jack under the ball joint and begin to jack up the hand-jack.
If the ball joint doesnt separate at this point then you can try hammering down(towards the ground) on the ratchet.
[IG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/cb9d8ef8.jpg[/IMG]
thats cool, so if your driving on gravel road, and some how a really strong stone gets stuck in there, and then you go over a bump and get air born, then land, would that seperate them? lol

MessyHonda
07-08-2007, 11:37 PM
i saw your car on jackstands....

AccordEpicenter
07-09-2007, 06:40 AM
to get the lower bj out i would use a fork in there to bust it away from the lower control arm but if you dont want to do that, just take the nut off and hit it HARD repeatedly on the lower control arm right where the bj fits in. Eventually it will loosen up and come apart

Legend_master
07-09-2007, 07:59 AM
thats cool, so if your driving on gravel road, and some how a really strong stone gets stuck in there, and then you go over a bump and get air born, then land, would that seperate them? lol

only if the ball joint nut comes off. I think I would be more worried about other components in that situation :lol: .

2oodoor
07-09-2007, 10:31 AM
to get the lower bj out i would use a fork in there to bust it away from the lower control arm but if you dont want to do that, just take the nut off and hit it HARD repeatedly on the lower control arm right where the bj fits in. Eventually it will loosen up and come apart
this is the way I have always done it ^^

they make a ball joint pickle fork, a little wider than a tie rod fork. I have a 5 lb sledge hammmer with the handle shortened to 12 inches (called a BMFH) just a light tap and its done.

88accordSF
07-09-2007, 02:58 PM
i saw your car on jackstands....

was puttin on the new rims, and shredded FOUR of the rear lug bolts while untorquing the lug nuts. apparently i torqued too hard :) you must've driven by while i was biking over to Kragen's... Kragen's sucks, but Napa was closed. anyway, put new lug bolts in, and slapped on the 17" rims, then reinstalled the LCD widescreen TV inside.

then threw in a alarm with a transmitter distance of less than 10 f***in feet (time to return the cheap ass P.O.S....). what a pile of junk. the Viper alarms look pretty cool.

as to not getting off topic of the thread: grabbed a higher-quality bearing puller a few mins ago from pep boys, if that doesn't work i'll try the "ratchet/prybar plus BFH" option, then last effort will be using my pickle fork. the pickle fork will work, but it can shred the rubber off the boot, i'd rather try to keep things nominal if possible.... we'll see what happens in the next few hours...

---booyah

88accordSF
07-09-2007, 09:44 PM
stuck the edge of the pickle fork right in there, without grabbing the LCA bushing inside of the fork, and slammed down with a hammer. popped like a schoolgirl cherry. thanks legend master! good stuff.

.: t

Legend_master
07-09-2007, 09:56 PM
stuck the edge of the pickle fork right in there, without grabbing the LCA bushing inside of the fork, and slammed down with a hammer. popped like a schoolgirl cherry. thanks legend master! good stuff.
.: t

Your welcome, and that statement is quote material :lol: .