PDA

View Full Version : my radio is possessed

evil88accordLX
07-09-2007, 07:54 AM
does anyone elses radio have a mind of its own? the station on button 1 sometimes displays a number other than the station its on (or no numbers at all), has turned itself on in the middle of the night while the car was off and no key in the ignition, and lately the station assigned to button 1 will be playing just fine then starts to sound like a cassette that is dragging. if i change the station and go back, it usually fixes the problem for a while, and changing the station usually fixes the number display also. none of these problems exist on buttons 2-6. could the problem be specific to button 1 on the radio? there arent any apparent electrical issues with the car otherwise. any suggestions other than call a priest?

Vanilla Sky
07-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Is this a stock radio or an aftermarket? If it's an aftermarket, what's the make and model number?

evil88accordLX
07-09-2007, 08:28 AM
it is the stock unit that came with the vehicle, i feel so retro sporting a cassette deck!

ghettogeddy
07-09-2007, 11:22 AM
it is the stock unit that came with the vehicle, i feel so retro sporting a cassette deck!
lol i had to do that for a month or so lol i even went and bought tapes lol

Vanilla Sky
07-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Alright, simply put, without replacing the deck, you're going to have to be really good at electronics repair to fix this. With age and heat cycling (sitting in a car for 20 years), solder joints weaken. Over time, you are left with faulty joints that can cause the problems you've listed.

I would fix it by getting an inexpensive headunit and installing it. If I had the mounting sleeve, I have a Pioneer sitting here that works great, plus already has a conversion harness for the 3gee soldered in place.

evil88accordLX
07-09-2007, 11:52 AM
bummer, i was afraid of that. my electrical skills pale in comparison to my mechanical ability. however, i do have a head unit (Jensen/JBL, dont remember) that i just pulled out of an 89 CRX i am rebuilding. ill give that a try. thanks.

A18A
07-09-2007, 11:54 AM
it sounds haunted lol

evil88accordLX
07-09-2007, 12:42 PM
it sounds haunted lol
haha yeah maybe played too much metal in the car......

Civic Accord Honda
07-09-2007, 01:29 PM
when your playing it next time and it sounds like a cass. draging grab the radio roll down the window go 95MPH and thow it out :)

ghettogeddy
07-09-2007, 03:05 PM
bummer, i was afraid of that. my electrical skills pale in comparison to my mechanical ability. however, i do have a head unit (Jensen/JBL, dont remember) that i just pulled out of an 89 CRX i am rebuilding. ill give that a try. thanks.
wiring should all be the same so just take the old tape deck out u do that by removing 2 8mm or 10mm bolts in the back then make sure u pull the metal sleave for the new radio for the crx install the sleave and also make sure when u took the deck out the crx that u pull the harness with it it should match the 3g harness no prob also u dont need an install kit for the 3g just put the sleave in lock the tabs down plug it in and slide it back

MessyHonda
07-10-2007, 11:01 AM
time for an upgrade...also remember to replace your speakers.

evil88accordLX
07-10-2007, 11:26 AM
time for an upgrade...also remember to replace your speakers.
yeah i replaced them pretty much right away. but it was more of a vacuuming out the remains than a removal!

MessyHonda
07-10-2007, 11:28 AM
yeah i replaced them pretty much right away. but it was more of a vacuuming out the remains than a removal!

yeah...they really turn into dust...i replaced my speakers and what a difference...i put in 6.5 inch in the front and then i replaced the deck and it helped out also. plus playing mp3s rule....no need to change the disk in a long trip.