PDA

View Full Version : What shocks 4 me?

Shaggsbud
07-09-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm sure this has been asked before, maybe not with my same setup, but I just need to know so I can get my car riding better.

I bought (2 years ago) a set of dropzone lowering springs and installed them with my stock shocks. I don't have any of them blown yet, don't ask how. But its a bit bouncy due to the fact that I have so much travel and not enough spring. What shocks can I get that can stop this? I am looking for some that I don't have to have rejetted as I am a poor white boy and wouldn't be able to afford such a thing for quite some time (come next march I'll be looking into moving into my own house, as I don't like living in an apartment for too long.).

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

keruhas184
07-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Tokicos with H&R or Neuspeed springs is your best bet on the budget. You need revalved Blesteins or Konis for those dropzonde springs.

Shaggsbud
07-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Tokicos with H&R or Neuspeed springs is your best bet on the budget. You need revalved Blesteins or Konis for those dropzonde springs.

Crapper, so theres no such thing as a shock* (woot spelling!) designed for lowered systems eh?

Legend_master
07-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Crapper, so theres no such thing as a spring designed for lowered systems eh?

One (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59533) and two (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47746&highlight=civic+struts)

Shaggsbud
07-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Right, gonna have to do the civic shocks, because I'm poor. No way in HELL I could pay 800 for the coilover kit..

2oodoor
07-09-2007, 11:50 AM
I like option number ONE , but which of the two suggested modifications is more economical?
what does neuspeed want for the 'turn key' set up?
no way I would pay 800 either, even half that

keruhas184
07-09-2007, 11:51 AM
One (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59533) and two (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47746&highlight=civic+struts)

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind myself. Guess I should catch up on a thing or two.

Legend_master
07-09-2007, 11:51 AM
I like option number ONE , but which of the two suggested modifications is more economical?
what does neuspeed want for the 'turn key' set up?
no way I would pay 800 either, even half that

Just remember, you get what you pay for :thumbup: .

2drSE-i
07-09-2007, 12:15 PM
you guys obviously dont want an aggressive suspension. i have 800 in just springs and shocks alone, and its the only good performance setup that you could possibly run without diving into what legend has done.

Shaggsbud
07-09-2007, 12:19 PM
you guys obviously dont want an aggressive suspension. i have 800 in just springs and shocks alone, and its the only good performance setup that you could possibly run without diving into what legend has done.

Lol, I don't. Not on my lx anyway, I just want it to bounce less. I will eventually be purchasing a different 3g to mod with all the stuff I plan to. This one is my daily driver for its 30+mpg.

Legend_master
07-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Lol, I don't. Not on my lx anyway, I just want it to bounce less. I will eventually be purchasing a different 3g to mod with all the stuff I plan to. This one is my daily driver for its 30+mpg.

The civic shocks should work perfectly for you then. The shocks worked great for everyday use, they were adjustable as well so you could make them a little stiffer for spirited driving. I still dont know what you can do for the back

2oodoor
07-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Just remember, you get what you pay for :thumbup: .
fair enough statement
Legend what kind of investment did you wind up with on your most recent strut/spring minus your labor?
It really depends on how you configure your money situation as to wheather one should reasonably afford (800 bucks) something like this. If you can make money on your own I could see soaking over 5 bills in suspension for a 20 year old Honda. In other words profits on your skills or trades above an operatiing budget, sorry Shaggsbud not meaning to go off topic. Just splaining how I would work getting the best stuff to do this with and I add this could take some time.

Shaggsbud
07-09-2007, 12:27 PM
The civic shocks should work perfectly for you then. The shocks worked great for everyday use, they were adjustable as well so you could make them a little stiffer for spirited driving. I still dont know what you can do for the back

Kewl, I will have to do that then...Wonder what I can find at the junkyard tomorrow?

Shaggsbud
07-09-2007, 12:30 PM
sorry Shaggsbud not meaning to go off topic.

Lol, no prob, I got my answer. Though can you mod a regular shock to do that? Cause its just an issue of how the shock sits in the lca for the most part and where the spring seat sits righ?

Legend_master
07-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Kewl, I will have to do that then...Wonder what I can find at the junkyard tomorrow?

Your going to have to buy a performance strut, not a factory civic strut. I went with Tokico Illuminas.

fair enough statement
Legend what kind of investment did you wind up with on your most recent strut/spring minus your labor?
It really depends on how you configure your money situation as to wheather one should reasonably afford (800 bucks) something like this. If you can make money on your own I could see soaking over 5 bills in suspension for a 20 year old Honda. In other words profits on your skills or trades above an operatiing budget, sorry Shaggsbud not meaning to go off topic. Just splaining how I would work getting the best stuff to do this with and I add this could take some time.

I ended up spending $250 a corner or $1000 for the whole setup, I know they have lowered the price about $100 for all the people that have called about the setup. The way I see it about my car is that I have no rust, and the body is in great shape. I bought the car for $800.00 and I have invested quit a bit over time. As of now I have a completely brand new car, minus paint. If I had bought a new car, I would be paying monthly for a car payment, I would have a MUCH higher insurance payment (I only pay $49.00 a month, and I was paying $375.00 a month for my integra). I plan to fully restore the car once I have the finances (and a garage :lol: ), and a second car to drive. If I had stayed with the integra it would still be stock and I would still be paying 700+ a month jsut to own it. Oh and I love having a very unique car :thumbup: .

2drSE-i
07-09-2007, 10:04 PM
i think on the coilover kits it would just be a better idea for two people to go in on it together. Find two sets of awesome coilovers for the different vehicles and exchange rears for fronts. I dont know how great the d2's are your running (im sure their awesome, you did your research haha) but is it possible there is something better out there?