PDA

View Full Version : won't start up?!? ugh!!

slacker
07-10-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm about to buy an 89 Accord LX for 400 bucks but there's a problem with the car. The engine doesn't start up. I hear the ignition n the starter works fine too but the engine just wont take it. Could it be the fuel filter? Would it have anything to do with the carburetor by any chance? UGh! What do u guys think?? :sad2: :confused:

russiankid
07-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Spark plugs,wires, cap, rotors, and fuel filters. If that doesn't do it then take off the air box and spray carb cleaner into the carb.

slacker
07-10-2007, 08:23 PM
rotors? how? n what's a cap? thanks :) :thumbup:

MessyHonda
07-10-2007, 11:56 PM
if i was you i would get an 88-89 lx-i 5 speed.....i did that...and it was the best investment ever.

A18A
07-11-2007, 12:06 AM
i would check for spark, fuel, timing, compression

russiankid
07-11-2007, 11:30 AM
rotors? how? n what's a cap? thanks :) :thumbup:
Sorry rotor*. Cap is where all the spark plug wires connect to, not to the spark plug but to the other end. The rotor is what is inside the cap that spins with the engine and strikes the cap and allows spark to travel to the spark plugs.

slacker
07-11-2007, 02:37 PM
thanks guys. i appreciate your help. i'll let u know how it goes n yea i can't find an lxi around here for only 400 :(

slacker
07-11-2007, 02:54 PM
darn it she's not sellin the car anymore i'm so pissed!:mad: thanks all

w261w261
07-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Read some of the posts in here about the problems people have with the carbureted cars. If I were you I'd either keep looking or arrange to pay a little more to get the fuel injected model. Once you come on board, you know there's going to be other stuff that you'll have to do, and before you know it you'll be in for a grand and a half, or probably more. Based on that total expenditure, paying another 4 or 5 hundred now for an LX-i is a great deal.

russiankid
07-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Read some of the posts in here about the problems people have with the carbureted cars. If I were you I'd either keep looking or arrange to pay a little more to get the fuel injected model. Once you come on board, you know there's going to be other stuff that you'll have to do, and before you know it you'll be in for a grand and a half, or probably more. Based on that total expenditure, paying another 4 or 5 hundred now for an LX-i is a great deal.
There really isn't a problem with a carb'd Accord if you are going to use it for a DD. If you need it for power then yea get an LX-i. I drive a carb everyday as my DD and don't really have a problem.

DDRaptor
07-12-2007, 08:23 AM
it depends carbs can be a bitch no lie, but i honestly think there cheaper to deal with if your using as a DD from a to b because the fuel system in an lx-i is under higher pressure and pumps and such are more exprensive as opposed to a pump i can get for my carbie at pep boys for 60 bucks. and you could use any of those mr. gasket pumps if you ever get a better carb down the road. just my 2c nothing against FI each has pros/cons. as everything in life.

DDRaptor
07-12-2007, 08:28 AM
hey slacker aren't you the guy from jersey where you car got hit by the cobalt. THeres a 5-speed LX i believe here in the bronx it was orginally 1250 like 6months ago then it went down to 950, but it won't sell cause it's stick i would buy or trade it for my car but it has 160,000+ while mine on has90,8xx as of today besides i'm poor.

but i try to get some more info for you if your in jersey.

slacker
07-12-2007, 12:41 PM
There really isn't a problem with a carb'd Accord if you are going to use it for a DD. If you need it for power then yea get an LX-i. I drive a carb everyday as my DD and don't really have a problem.

yea i'll probably need some power.. i miss my LX-i... damn cobalts.. :(

slacker
07-12-2007, 12:49 PM
hey slacker aren't you the guy from jersey where you car got hit by the cobalt. THeres a 5-speed LX i believe here in the bronx it was orginally 1250 like 6months ago then it went down to 950, but it won't sell cause it's stick i would buy or trade it for my car but it has 160,000+ while mine on has90,8xx as of today besides i'm poor.
but i try to get some more info for you if your in jersey.

yea that's me :( i'll keep lookin for an LX-i but i can't spend much on a car since i'm still a high school student. u can find a 4g accord here in nj for about 700. i might get one of them if they have better axles n ball joints because i had to replace the driver's side axle and the ball joints twice in the last 10 months and it cost me A LOT! and now i need to get the axle replaced once again but i'd rather try to sell the car cuz i have no money to spend on it anymore :(