PDA

View Full Version : Windshield--glued or rubber seal

bushbean
07-11-2007, 10:21 AM
A long time ago, I and my pop replaced the windshield on his 2nd Gen Civic. It had a rubber type windshield. We used the "string" technique, which requires no glue.

Is the 3gee similar?
Or is the glass glued on?
How much should I expect to pay for a new piece of windshield?

Vanilla Sky
07-11-2007, 10:25 AM
It's glued in. For as much as it costs to buy the glass, you can usually have it installed. Here in Florida, I know that as long as you have comprehensive insurance, it costs nothing to have your windshield replaced.

bushbean
07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
A year ago, I got a quote. It was $350. That was too expensive for me back then, considering I almost donated the car to charity.

I would think a piece of glass would cost a lot less.

Is there a particular brand that I should look for or stay away from?

I'll try to find Manuel. He'll probably charge half that of an established shop.

russiankid
07-11-2007, 10:49 AM
A year ago, I got a quote. It was $350. That was too expensive for me back then, considering I almost donated the car to charity.

I would think a piece of glass would cost a lot less.

Is there a particular brand that I should look for or stay away from?

I'll try to find Manuel. He'll probably charge half that of an established shop.
It isn't just a piece of glass. It is made not to shatter, and with stand a lot of crap you find on the road. I watched a show on how they are made and it's a long process.

MessyHonda
07-11-2007, 11:42 AM
out here you can go to the junkyard they even help you take it out and install it on your car for like 120 bucks.

Blkblurr
07-11-2007, 11:42 AM
I had mine replaced two years ago and it cost about $250 installed. Shop around and see if the prices vary as much as they do here.

w261w261
07-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Last February, I went up to Montreal to claim the last SE-i windshield in North America. The only place to get them (special bronze tint) is from Honda. $910 Canadian installed. Good thing I had glass insurance.

2ndGenGuy
07-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Last February, I went up to Montreal to claim the last SE-i windshield in North America. The only place to get them (special bronze tint) is from Honda. $910 Canadian installed. Good thing I had glass insurance.

You didn't install it in your car did you?! It's just going to get cracked!! The last SE-i windshield will soon be done for! :nervous: That thing should be in a freakin' museum!! :lol:

w261w261
07-11-2007, 03:34 PM
You didn't install it in your car did you?! It's just going to get cracked!! The last SE-i windshield will soon be done for! :nervous: That thing should be in a freakin' museum!! :lol:

You can read about the trip here: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58183