View Full Version : my roll cage design for my 1st gen

lkrfn5283
07-11-2007, 08:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/lkrfn5283/Rollcagedesign.jpg
with a mugen bucket......lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/lkrfn5283/rollcagedesingwithmugen.jpg

1ajs
07-11-2007, 08:59 PM
nice you got a dimension drawing made up?

lkrfn5283
07-11-2007, 09:01 PM
nice you got a dimension drawing made up?

I was just thinking about how i wanted my cage to be. as far as dimensions, lengths and etc......i have yet to take measurements (which i will be doing this weekend after i move to my new place). I just wanted to create a concept.

1ajs
07-11-2007, 09:08 PM
o ok looks like fun :P

has the 2nd edition shop manual wonder if any of the mesurments in it be any use to you?

2ndGenGuy
07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Very cool! What do you plan on using the rollcage for? Are you doing some track days with it, or just for general racing safety and coolness factor? :)

lkrfn5283
07-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Very cool! What do you plan on using the rollcage for? Are you doing some track days with it, or just for general racing safety and coolness factor? :)

all of the above. I plan to take my car to the track and have it as an everyday DD. I also thought of the fact that this car is extremely small, so even if i were to get hit by some idiot driver by just driving on LA freeways this cage could save me. So yeah. heh. I'm still drawing it from different angles, so more images to come. Any input is welcome.

Hazwan
07-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah looks cool!

lkrfn5283
07-11-2007, 10:21 PM
last concept until i get the measurments
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/lkrfn5283/scan0001.jpg

MessyHonda
07-11-2007, 10:27 PM
wow thats alot of pipes. are you going to swap in a motor or something

lkrfn5283
07-11-2007, 11:01 PM
wow thats alot of pipes. are you going to swap in a motor or something
yup. i posted my plan in my other thread "new to 3geez"
Re: New to 3geez
There was a 1st gen with a b16 that inspired me. I was planning on swapping a b18a1 that's sitting in my old DA(clutch,tranny,ecu & all) into my 1st gen. Seeing as that I have no experience in welding or custom fabrication I've been searching for a shop here in so cali that would be willing to do this swap. I've called about 15 different shops.........NO ONE is willing to do it. I'm still determined to do this, however if no shop is willing to do this then I'll obviously have to take welding classes and etc and do it myself. Before I do this, I was wondering if anyone on this forum knew of a shop in the southern cali area willing to do this swap.Any help would greatly be appreciated.
*side note: if there is no shop that will be willing to do this, then it will take me quite some time to do this swap. In the mean time I'll build up the current engine and just maintain it. For some reason, i've been getting SHITTY mileage (~10 to 12 mpg). I fixed a leak that was found in the carb (rebuilt it completely). Carb no longer leaks, but i'm still getting shitty mileage. this is what i've done so far
1. Rebuilt Carb
2. changed fuel filter
3. checked fuel lines (no leaks)
4. checked gas tank (no leaks)
Any suggestions?
Well I found a shop here in cali that's willing to do the swap. I already got an estimate and I'm also going to have them build up the bottom end to my ls. I'm still contemplating on putting on a b16 head and go ls vtec, but eh....i'm still deciding on that. But now it's just a matter of time before this swap becomes reality. We'll see how things pan out in the next 4 months or so. For now, i'm just planning out what else i'm going to do after the swap is complete (roll cage, suspension, rotors, rims, paint etc etc)

2ndGenGuy
07-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Well the other nice thing is that when the roll cage is in, that chassis will be stiff as hell. I'm guessing that you're taking out the back seats to do this?

lkrfn5283
07-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Well the other nice thing is that when the roll cage is in, that chassis will be stiff as hell. I'm guessing that you're taking out the back seats to do this?

yup. that's the plan. It's going to strictly be a two seater. i'm going to try and keep the dash,steering wheel and radio intact (i'll put in another head unit in the glove compartment if possible). Heres the list and order of the modifications i'm going to do to the SM
1. Engine,tranny swap (built ls motor possibly going with a b16head, ls tranny with cp short shifter)
2. Suspension/brake/rotor swap
3. rims, if they fit without having to do body work otherwise i'll roll on the stock rims for a while (I want to get some konig rewinds 14x7 4x114.3)
4. Change interior to black (what's left of it anyway.....dash,steering wheel,carpet.....etc etc. the roof is going to be the hardest task)
5. Roll cage
6. Body work. I'm going to paint it black. I want it black on black (possibly flaring out fenders to accomodate rims if necessary)

2ndGenGuy
07-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Sounds like a fun project! The brake swap will wind up probably converting you over to a 4x100 setup. I think you'll wind up installing Civic or Prelude parts to make it work. The wheel stud spacing right now is 4x120, so good luck finding some rims. :) So no brake or wheel upgrades unless you do it all at once, swapping out hubs and stuff too!

lkrfn5283
07-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I did some research. I actually found that brembo makes oem blanks for the 1st gen accord. SWEET! $22 EACH!
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Accord+Hatchback&autoYear=1981&autoModClar=&brand=Brembo

I might just buy a full set (converting rear to disk brakes) and keep the 4X114.3 bolt pattern. Konig only makes 14in rewinds with that bolt pattern anyway.

http://www.buywheelstoday.com/products/?id=3929

The only issue i'll have with the rims is clearance (stock tires were 13x5 right? while the rewinds i want are 14x7) I could fix this with eibach wheel spacers and flaring out my fenders. My only concern is the negative affect the spacers will have on handling. I'm concerned with the amount of stress the bolts/axels (considering the axels will be shortened and respindled) can take with the spacers on them.

2ndGenGuy
07-12-2007, 10:05 PM
The 1g Accord is not 4x114.3. It's 4x120...

79cord
07-13-2007, 12:58 AM
Yep, And if you're lucky your Integra wheels, hubs & brakes might all fit on the Accord anyway!

I like the idea of keeping it more subtle though; clean, original & Honda-matic badges with just stance & wheels to betray it (even the typeR Teg only ran 195 tyres). Granny's car with a secret. :naughty:

Wouldn't be surprised if early Accord's weren't stiffer than early Integra either, especially if you bond in the windscreen.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2051977/2

lkrfn5283
07-13-2007, 08:35 AM
The 1g Accord is not 4x114.3. It's 4x120...
whoops...........i stand corrected.

2ndGenGuy
07-13-2007, 09:24 AM
whoops...........i stand corrected.

It's okay. You'll just get to share in the pain of finding wheels that fit. :)

Hazwan
07-13-2007, 04:41 PM
LOL yeah I'm so lucky to find a set in 14" for cheap. I mean real cheap :D

2ndGenGuy
07-13-2007, 05:32 PM
LOL yeah I'm so lucky to find a set in 14" for cheap. I mean real cheap :D

Did you get the 5-finger discount?