PDA

View Full Version : I think it's time to fix my AC....

alanizgod
07-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Nvm I already asked this question lol. What I meant to ask was if I were to change the compressor would I have to replace the fluid?

dlr1989
07-12-2007, 06:17 PM
"Fluid" is an intresting choice of terms to describe the refridgerant. At some temperatures and pressures it would be liquid at others it would be a gas. Both gas's and liquids can be fluids according to webster "a substance (as a liquid or a gas) tending to flow or conform to the outline of its container". I generally think of R12 or R134a as gas's, but since they can be either a gas or a liquid, fluid may be a better term. Naw! I'm too old to change I like gas better.

Since you didn't ask your question to have someone pick apart your wording....

If you change the compressor and it still has "fluid" in it then it should be salvaged by a properly licensed A/C tech, prior to starting the compressor change out, and may be able to be reused. In reality, depending on what is wrong with your compressor, your system is likely to not have any "fluid" in it. Most people, although it is wrong to do so, will just let the "fluid" escape when the open the A/C system.

If you change the compressor make sure you have planned out how your are going to draw a vacumn on the A/C system and recharge it. There are some specialized tool and equipment needed to do this. You may need an A/C shop to help you out with this.

If you are changing out a Keihan compressor then don't put R134a in it only put R12 (expensive and should not be done by most backyard mechanics) in a Keihan compressor. The R134a or its lubricant will likely desolve the seals in the compressor. If you have a denso compressor R134a should work. Others will debate how well R134a will work.

Have fun!

Nvm I already asked this question lol. What I meant to ask was if I were to change the compressor would I have to replace the fluid?

Blkblurr
07-13-2007, 04:50 AM
Hes talking about the oil in the compressor. Yes you should change it if you are going to convert to R134a. If not you will need to add oil to the compressor. make sure you buy some when you get your compressor. The factory service manual will tell you how much to put in the compressor.