PDA

View Full Version : Car Won't Crank

azazel_18_2
07-15-2007, 09:24 PM
I was driving down the road and came up on someone slow. I got on it and passed him then heard a clink and my battery light came on. I towed it home and found the top alternator bolt head broke off! I went ahead and replaced the bolt and the 70 amp battery fuse because it blew. Now I have more problems. When I turn the key on it does nothing. Anything you can do with the key off it will do like headlights will come on, emergency flashers will come on, flasher will come on, all interior lights will come on except the idiot lights. What will not work is the power windows, idiot lights, and starter. Pretty much anything comtrolled by the ignition switch. I have checked all the fuses and they are fine. HELP!!!

2oodoor
07-16-2007, 03:41 AM
which car?

right off the top of my head I would say check to make sure you have all the wires back on the alternator, check for blown fuse link wires at alternator ,battery, and starter if applicable. Check for main relay(s) inside black box under the hood too.

azazel_18_2
07-16-2007, 03:11 PM
My 89 accord lxi in the pic. I love her and she has always been faithful. When I turn on the switch nothing cyles on and the main relay doesn't click or anything. I am about to get my multimeter out and see if it's getting juice. I have checked the wiring and replaced the 70 amp battery fuse but everything else looks good. It would be nice if the main relay got burnt out. $50 to get me back on the road sounds damn good. I just got a/c back in her now this happens.

dalinxz
07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
check the starter that's the important thing to check I think; I just changed mine on my 95 accord.

88Accord-DX
07-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Wonder if the starter solenoid got toasted.

azazel_18_2
07-17-2007, 06:30 AM
I hope to hell not. I replaced her about ohhhhh a year ago.

2oodoor
07-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Now I am wondering why the alt bolt broke, was the belt too tight? Did the belt get adjusted back when you did the AC work?
Battery any good?sometimes they will power up lights and such but once you load it up the voltage goes to algebra land.

azazel_18_2
07-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure why it broke. Belt was not tensioned when I did the a/c work. It hasn't been tensioned in a while. I keep an eye on that stuff and it never got loose. I adjusted it like the book says with 1/4" deflection. I have replaced the battery recently. I need to bring home my battery tester and check it out. It may have gotten fried you never know. I was thinking main relay. I better make sure first because it is non returnable. Nice.

azazel_18_2
07-18-2007, 07:34 PM
well, i found the problem. The alternator wire broke. Charged battery up and installed a new alternator wire and viola she purrs again!!

dalinxz
07-22-2007, 02:13 PM
good stuff :P