PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter base gasket

ahmad89
07-15-2007, 11:40 PM
I need to change my oil filter base gasket and i need to know FOR SURE if i can just pull the old one out and put the new one on for if i have to change the base and is it metal or a rubber gasket?
89 DX carbed

ahmad89
07-16-2007, 01:04 AM
forrest helped me out and i wanna know if i should just replaced part #22 https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts_list.php?hp_queried_components=0&hp_series_id=562&hp_series_model=ACCORD&hp_series_year=1989&hp_series_door_ext_grade=2DR+DX&hp_series_transmission=4AT&hp_series_slsareacd=KA&hp_system=A&hp_component=E++08
if that is all i need to change cause it looks like the gasket is held in between the screw and the base and i need to know if i can take off that screw and replace the gasket but im going to wrap a micro fiber towel or something that is heat resistant or something and see if the oil leaks from the gasket or the base. Tomorrow im going to jack my car up and check it out a big then try that out.

2oodoor
07-16-2007, 03:36 AM
You remove the oil filter, then you have the base which is bolted to the block with I think three small bolts. The gasket is actually a thick (figure eight shaped kinda but funky looking) O ring. The old one will come of in pieces because it is so brittle.
This is a dirty job so get ready!

ahmad89
07-16-2007, 07:49 AM
You remove the oil filter, then you have the base which is bolted to the block with I think three small bolts. The gasket is actually a thick (figure eight shaped kinda but funky looking) O ring. The old one will come of in pieces because it is so brittle.
This is a dirty job so get ready!
k but you didnt tell me how to take off the gasket....

88accordlxcarb
07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
The gasket will just fall out.

When you take off the pressure sensor and then the 3 bolts to the oil filter base, the entire base will come off and the gasket will either fall off or be seated in the base.

Just take it off and stick in the new OEM honda gasket.

ahmad89
07-17-2007, 06:11 PM
The gasket will just fall out.
When you take off the pressure sensor and then the 3 bolts to the oil filter base, the entire base will come off and the gasket will either fall off or be seated in the base.
Just take it off and stick in the new OEM honda gasket.
thx for the help.

88Accord-DX
07-17-2007, 10:42 PM
It won't fall out, you have to use a small screwdriver to pry it out.
Look up in Engine & Tranny for the how-to. (made it for you guys)

ahmad89
07-17-2007, 11:59 PM
It won't fall out, you have to use a small screwdriver to pry it out.
Look up in Engine & Tranny for the how-to. (made it for you guys)
yea i read that but i dont have those tools you have listed in there, i basically just have socket wrenches and screwdrivers.

russiankid
07-18-2007, 07:00 AM
yea i read that but i dont have those tools you have listed in there, i basically just have socket wrenches and screwdrivers.
Thats all you really need, and extensions.

88accordlxcarb
07-18-2007, 09:29 AM
You will need an open ended wrench(or a crescent wrench) to get that oil sensor out. It is a pain. The correct one is listed in the how to.

Not trying to be a little school yard punk, but mine just fell out. So it depends on what condition your gasket is in when you take it off. A small screw driver is a good thing to have around.

2oodoor
07-18-2007, 09:59 AM
You will need an open ended wrench(or a crescent wrench) to get that oil sensor out. It is a pain. The correct one is listed in the how to.
Not trying to be a little school yard punk, but mine just fell out. So it depends on what condition your gasket is in when you take it off. A small screw driver is a good thing to have around.
who said anything about a school yard punk, geeeez
I used a pair of knipex pliers on the oil sender, they have just the right angle and grip so you dont damage the sender. A metric oil sender socket is the correct thing to use though.

88Accord-DX
07-20-2007, 06:21 PM
who said anything about a school yard punk, geeeez
roodoo2, I think he's insinuating that your a school yard punk! LMAO! (the mentality here, I tell ya)

Anyhow, knipex pliers are a good choice for it, but the average shadytree 'wrencher' won't have these on hand.

http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/a5/fe/c802_1.JPG

88Accord-DX
07-20-2007, 06:43 PM
If you have just the basic stuff. Just regular pliers can get the sensor off, the downfall with be that you'll strip the socket ends. SO, just do what you can to get it off & on. (cresent wrench will not do much good here)

lostforawhile
07-20-2007, 06:46 PM
while the base is off,i would take apart the pressure relief valve,and clean the parts in solvent,lots of crud gets in there over the years. it's pretty easy,i don't know if it's in the how to or not. i took my entire base apart, media blasted it cleaned the valve parts, had the base anodized,then put it back together. :)

88Accord-DX
07-20-2007, 06:55 PM
After 20 years, I want to make sure the pressure relief valve is good to go! For a few dollars, I just replaced the bitch after my rebuilt engine. Can't be messing around here, plus have sense of security.
If you want to make sure the spring is good is go in the pressure relief valve, take some measurements from a new spring, to yours. (which we need here) :)

ahmad89
07-20-2007, 06:58 PM
while the base is off,i would take apart the pressure relief valve,and clean the parts in solvent,lots of crud gets in there over the years. it's pretty easy,i don't know if it's in the how to or not. i took my entire base apart, media blasted it cleaned the valve parts, had the base anodized,then put it back together. :)
thx for the tip everyone and when i take off my oil sensor i always squeeze tightly and turn so i dont strip em and i have an adjusting open ended wrench it clamps it closed so you can focus on twisting.