PDA

View Full Version : auto trans shifting really hard

twistyrider
07-18-2007, 06:59 PM
How can the transmission be adjusted so it doesn't shift so hard?
The car acts like an older muscle car with a shift kit in it. When the road is wet it spins the tires a little shifting from 1-2 and again from 2-3. I don't drive it fast or hard. I bought this car for gas mileage. Also I noticed that it doesn't want to shift to 4th until at least 50mph or when I let off the gas a little. I changed the trans oil and tried to adjust the throttle position cable a little but no noticeable change. I would just like it to shift a little easier.

russiankid
07-18-2007, 07:02 PM
What fluid did you use in the tranny? Not sure if there are any filters but that also needs to be changed if there is one. Use Honda ATF. If all doesn't work then do a 5-speed swap and forget about it. Older Honda automatics, with age, wear out and will cause problems like you're describing and sometimes even just stop working. Most people that get problems just do a 5-speed swap.

twistyrider
07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
My car only has 145k on it. I can't see that the tranny is wearing out already. I put Valvoline ATF in it. Is it really that important to use Honda ATF?

russiankid
07-18-2007, 08:11 PM
My car only has 145k on it. I can't see that the tranny is wearing out already. I put Valvoline ATF in it. Is it really that important to use Honda ATF?
I've read that using Honda ATF is the best. I personally have a 5-speed. Try flushing out the tranny by pouring in some Honda ATF and driving around a bit, then change the oil again to Honda ATF. Not sure how many times to repeat this but someone who has more experience with auto tranny's should come and help you shortly:)

LX-incredible
07-18-2007, 10:28 PM
There are no filters to change but there is a magnet inside, to the right of the drain hole. If you can get a small telescoping or bendable magnet in there, you can get a lot of crap off of it. Honda ATF is the best. Other ATF is thicker and will cause harder shifts. I personally use Valvoline ATF with a shot of standard brake fluid, to thin it out and keep the seals from drying out. The car was using 3 quarts of ATF between oil changes before I started this, now it doesn't even leak 1/4 of a quart.

twistyrider
07-19-2007, 01:58 PM
How much brake fluid do I need? I have never heard of that one before. I guess it would be ok to use since it's hydraulic fluid.
Sounds like I need to stop by the Honda dealer to get ATF though.

How about adjustments to the throttle cable? Would it shift hard if that cable is stretched out from 20yrs of driving?

russiankid
07-19-2007, 02:16 PM
How much brake fluid do I need? I have never heard of that one before. I guess it would be ok to use since it's hydraulic fluid.
Sounds like I need to stop by the Honda dealer to get ATF though.
How about adjustments to the throttle cable? Would it shift hard if that cable is stretched out from 20yrs of driving?
I doubt the throttle cable has anything to do with the way the transmission shifts. You can adjust it. If you have a carb you will need to remove the airbox and you will see the cable adjustment on the left side if standing in front of the car. On EFI engines just follow the cable to the throttle body and again you will see adjustment bolts. The tranny shifts according to RPM's, so the throttle cable adjustment won't really do much. It is a good idea to adjust it but won't help shifting.

P.S Someone correct me if i am wrong.

twistyrider
07-19-2007, 03:01 PM
My car has a carb and the adjustment is a barrel type adjuster located right above the tranny on the passenger side It looks much like what you would find on a bicycle. I have adjusted it a little. It's really had to tell how much free-play the cable has since it's so had to get to so I only turned the jam nut about 2-3 turns and then re-tightened it. I did not notice nay difference in shifting.

On normal driving in town, my car shifts from 1-2 at around 2500rpm then 2-3 at 2500-3000. It never gets into 4th in town unless I am going at least 45-50. when out on the highway, it shifts into 4th when I either let off the gas or the car is going at least 60-65. Overdrive seems to work ok but I have noticed that it jumps in and out quite often.

russiankid
07-19-2007, 03:09 PM
What rpms is it at around 40mph(normal city driving)? I stay on 4th at 2000-2500rpms. I do drive a 5-speed however.

LX-incredible
07-24-2007, 10:04 PM

I top off the first quart of ATF with brake fluid and mix, so like 2 oz or so. It was recommended to me by a retired mechanic. They mix well and it does work.

2oodoor
07-25-2007, 07:17 AM
I doubt the throttle cable has anything to do with the way the transmission shifts. You can adjust it. If you have a carb you will need to remove the airbox and you will see the cable adjustment on the left side if standing in front of the car. On EFI engines just follow the cable to the throttle body and again you will see adjustment bolts. The tranny shifts according to RPM's, so the throttle cable adjustment won't really do much. It is a good idea to adjust it but won't help shifting.

P.S Someone correct me if i am wrong.
you are wrong, the transmission throttle cable has everything to do with shift points and harshness. Even adjusting the throttle "throttle" cable changes the adjustment on the transmission throttle cable.
Also one of the key things about the HOnda ATF is that it is synthetic, so if you use Valvoline ATF you need to add a synthetic supplement such as those that claim to make Mercon or Dexron III into Mercon V. I would only use HOnda Fluid myself, it really makes a big difference.
I would never put brake fluid in a good transmisson as preventative measure, it just has too many other properties to it that I would not want in my fluid. I have heard of doing that though, but I also heard of polishing the car with ATF to make it shine

LX-incredible
07-25-2007, 08:50 AM
I would never put brake fluid in a good transmisson as preventative measure, it just has too many other properties to it that I would not want in my fluid. I have heard of doing that though, but I also heard of polishing the car with ATF to make it shine It didn't seem like too good of an idea at the time, but it has worked for me for over 40k now. I would agree that honda fluid would be best for a good transmission, which mine is far from.