PDA

View Full Version : barage of questions

snoopyloopy
07-19-2007, 02:06 PM
ok, i have some questions/things that i want to be certain on about my new 3g. i know most of the info is strewn about the forum, but i figured it'd be easier to get all the answers collected for me in one place. was gonna put this in performance, but it's not all perf questions, so i went for here instead. anyway, here goes. although this isn't a complete. i'll update it as i think of more/as questions are answered.
r-134a ac conversion: what should i change first or can i just get it evac'd and recharged with 134a (has nd compressor already)?
rear disks: i've heard conflicting reports on e-brake cable fitments between coupe and sedan. does anyone know the definitive answer? and st sway bars don't fit?
engine: ~250k miles, and of course, not used, i don't know the history. but seems like it was maintained pretty well and that it's original also. seafoamed it already as well. anyway, i used to run 10w-30 syn-mix oil in the other one w/ purolator filter. but i think that contributed to it starting oil leaks. so i was going to go valvoline dino 10w-30 but then i junked it instead. should i go straight dino in this one? and are there really any benefits to syn-mixes?
transmission: clutch time will roll around, and by then, i may or may not have gained access to all the little parts to substantially up power a bit. but i was thinking a clutchnet set-up either way. i don't race really, so what's the best clutch for an upgraded stock engine?
cam: what's the best cam for nice mid-range to high-end power but still retains decent drivability and economy?
brakes: cross-drilled or slotted? which are better for daily driving and occasional spirited run?
suspension: konis & tokicos + eibachs? what else i should i get for some completely "whiptastic" handling?

russiankid
07-19-2007, 02:10 PM
With the rear disc brakes. I remember reading that the body length on all 3gen's is the same, so cables should be the same. If you swapping the brakes into a sedan just find a set of SE-i sedan cables. I know that my cables were short when i did my rear disc swap, but that was because i needed to open one of the mounting brackets and feed more cable into the car. My cables came off a sedan and went into a sedan.

87lxiaccord
07-19-2007, 07:29 PM
When you change to r134 you have to replace the o rings om the hoses.
I didn't have any problems with the e brake cables, but i can't remember if it was a coupe or sedan.
You should only use synthetic oils on rebuilt or new engines, they say it gets in places regular oil can't. I like castrol 10w 30.
I have an oem exedy clutch and it's been pretty good so far, only cost like 100 shipped too.
I have a delta 260 and its supposed to have power range from 3,000 to 6,500 rpm?? not sure but it's the mid range one.
I've heard stories of crossed drilled and slotted rotors cracking and stuff, for daily driving I would just get brembo blanks, plus you can resurface them.

MessyHonda
07-19-2007, 08:49 PM
i had dimpled and sloted rotors in the front and i have not had any probs even under heaving braking. the get hot tho...the front rims are warm to the touch.

snoopyloopy
07-19-2007, 09:22 PM
hmmm. another question i forgot. i was thinking of changing the transmission oil as well. what's best to throw in there? i was thinking of just going down to honda and buying a couple quarts of mtf, but i've also heard stuff about it being a new formula from when our cars were made. so honda mtf yay or nay?

MessyHonda
07-19-2007, 09:26 PM
hmmm. another question i forgot. i was thinking of changing the transmission oil as well. what's best to throw in there? i was thinking of just going down to honda and buying a couple quarts of mtf, but i've also heard stuff about it being a new formula from when our cars were made. so honda mtf yay or nay?

i say yay...it worked fine for me....i paid like 3 bucks a quart. i would do a flush if you feel it acting up. even with my fucked up tranny i got it up to 4th gear redlined....~120mph and no prob.

russiankid
07-20-2007, 01:59 AM
I use Honda MTF and have no problems what so ever.

MessyHonda
07-20-2007, 02:31 AM
i say yay...it worked fine for me....i paid like 3 bucks a quart. i would do a flush if you feel it acting up. even with my fucked up tranny i got it up to 4th gear redlined....~120mph and no prob.

just did it today again...i really need a video.....cuz im not sure of any 3geez that can reach that speed as fast as i get up there. just imagine with a gear set up.

2oodoor
07-20-2007, 03:31 AM
nothing will fix the oil leaks short of replacing the hardend up o-rings and seals.
The main culprits are distributor o ring, oil filter base o-ring (not an O really but is round rubber), oil pump o- ring seals, cam seals, and all pvc plumbing from the intake to the oil separator to the large hose feeding into the oil pan need to be checked, cleaned, sealed and repaired.

Oh and Messy , when you did the dyno did you adjust your cam gear then or just ran it like it to see the numbers?

2oodoor
07-20-2007, 03:31 AM
nothing will fix the oil leaks short of replacing the hardend up o-rings and seals.
The main culprits are distributor o ring, oil filter base o-ring (not an O really but is round rubber), oil pump o- ring seals, cam seals, and all pvc plumbing from the intake to the oil separator to the large hose feeding into the oil pan need to be checked, cleaned, sealed and repaired.

Oh and Messy , when you did the dyno did you adjust your cam gear then or just ran it like it to see the numbers?

snoopyloopy
07-20-2007, 07:58 AM
oh yeah, teg lip. will it bolt right up, i just need to put spacers?

MessyHonda
07-20-2007, 11:33 AM

yeah the cam gear does not have good timing marks its like 2 degress off. but right now im running like 1-2 degrees retard. lots of top end. and i have not even adjusted my dizzy.