PDA

View Full Version : What clutch?

Rendon LX-i
07-21-2007, 01:04 PM
What kind of clutch do u guys think i should run....My goal is to be boosting by da end of aug. So i need to find a clutch dat can handle 160whp'ESSS LOL
let me know what u boosted guys running....

bullard123
07-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Check the 4 sale section. I have a stage 1 centerforce clutch for sale

Pico
07-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Centerforce 4 sale (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=802954&postcount=1)

LiTtLe xOx BitT
07-21-2007, 05:15 PM
You will need more then a stage one. I have a clitchnet carbon-kevlar disc with red 2x pressure plate and alignment tool. It would be great for a turbo setup, thats why i got it, message me if your interested.

bullard123
07-21-2007, 08:01 PM
You will need more then a stage one. I have a clitchnet carbon-kevlar disc with red 2x pressure plate and alignment tool. It would be great for a turbo setup, thats why i got it, message me if your interested.
No he won't. The centerforce stage 1 clutch is rated to handle 220hp. He is looking for something to handle 160whp so this will be more than enough to handle that hp range. I am looking to get in the 200hp range with my hatch so I had to research it.

AccordEpicenter
07-21-2007, 09:04 PM
i think youre gonna burn up a stage 1 pretty quick if were making any kind of serious power. Id reccomend a clutchnet clutch with a red pressure plate with either a 6 puck sprung or kevlar disk. Kevlar clutches last alot longer but wont hold as much as the pucked clutch. Itll be easier to drive but they are very sensitive to the break in (pucked clutches dont matter that much about break in) and oil contamination (another thing that has minimal impact on pucked clutch)

MessyHonda
07-21-2007, 11:58 PM
No he won't. The centerforce stage 1 clutch is rated to handle 220hp. He is looking for something to handle 160whp so this will be more than enough to handle that hp range. I am looking to get in the 200hp range with my hatch so I had to research it.

i was looking on the specs on your clutch and it only said 30% more clamping power so if stock is 122hp +30% = 158.6 hp.

no way it will handle 220hp. it would just slip and fail over time.

rjudgey
07-22-2007, 04:19 AM
No offence to rest of you guy's who don't have a clutchnet clutch but all other clutches for our cars are rubbish except for clutchnet and i've been going on about how good they are for nearly two years so why have you all got a clutch that isn't clutchnet and if there so good why are you selling them? Dont' let the newbie get stuck with inferior products not only are the clutchnet the strongest holdling clutches but they are the longest lasting they are designed with reliability in mind a clutchnet kit will out live easily twice as long as any other competitor this is due to the much better constructed disk and plates have much more re-inforcment to take a a pounding on a regular basis. I've had every clutch kit going apart from Exedy and none have lasted in my car the only one that did waws a one off AP pressure plate i was luck to get hold off but even then the disk didn't last long 600 miles so ended up combining it with a stock Honda one which worked a treat till the gearbox leaked oil all over it and a ruined it!!

bullard123
07-22-2007, 05:53 AM
i was looking on the specs on your clutch and it only said 30% more clamping power so if stock is 122hp +30% = 158.6 hp.
no way it will handle 220hp. it would just slip and fail over time.
Thats my point. He is only looking to achieve 160hp not 220hp. Thats what the title of the thread says. If he was looking to get into the 220hp range then a stage 2 or 3 clutch will work better.

RobT5580
07-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Granted im not running an A20 im running a B20A5 Clutch masters stage 4 puck clutch. I run it on my stock b20a at the moment and its not bad at all for daily driving. If you go puck style i would go sprung even though i did have my original fail but they replaced it free of charge. But seeing that your going boost i would rather go for a better clutch than do it twice. Yeah they are not cheap but if you buy 2 clutches then your above what you would have paid for the better one in the first place.

AccordEpicenter
07-22-2007, 08:14 AM
clutch masters are the only other clutch id consider besides clutchnet, ive heard pretty good things about them but they arent cheap, plus i think clutchnet has a little better quality. Ive seen numerous failures with act stuff, centerforce stuff, and had a personal failure with a spec stage 5. The exedy i had was nothing more than a stock replacement, although a good one. Ive heard good things from RPS too but i dont think they make anything for our cars. Now if i could get a quarter master or tilton twin plate that would be tits.

RobT5580
07-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Overall i really like the pedal pressure and the grab of my clutch masters puck clutch. I was not happy when i had to pull my tranny because i down shifted on the highway and a spring fell out of my disc. But clutch masters warrantied it no questions asked outside of my warranty period. My act was ok but chattered more than i could tolerate.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
07-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Thats my point. He is only looking to achieve 160hp not 220hp. Thats what the title of the thread says. If he was looking to get into the 220hp range then a stage 2 or 3 clutch will work better.
But you dont want your clutch to only handel 2hp more then your planning on putting out, you want it to be able to hold a lot more.

Rendon LX-i
07-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Dont' let the newbie get stuck with inferior products not only are the clutchnet the strongest holdling clutches but they are the longest lasting they are designed with reliability in mind a clutchnet kit will out live easily twice as long as any other competitor this is due to the much better constructed disk and plates have much more re-inforcment to take a a pounding on a regular basis. I've had every clutch kit going apart from Exedy and none have lasted in my car the only one that did waws a one off AP pressure plate i was luck to get hold off but even then the disk didn't last long 600 miles so ended up combining it with a stock Honda one which worked a treat till the gearbox leaked oil all over it and a ruined it!!

Woooooa easy man....I aint no newbie....I know bout clutchs i just wanted to see what other turbo members were running and how did they like em....But yeah thanks for da info bro.....

rjudgey
07-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Had clutchmasters and i had the same happen to my disk the springs wore out and then fell into the plate after just 20k miles, it's cause there made from cheap oem parts all clutchmasters do is add a nice friction material, the clutchmasters plate was a JK oem item all they do is paint it white and balance it and that failed after just 15k miles the straps that hold the plate in place broke away, AP one or clutchnet would never do that as they are made by them and have straps fitted that are thicker and more of them, also the Clutchnet disks are all pocketed springs so is impossible for them to fall out of the disk. It's not a matter of holding the power it's a matter of being able to hold the power and do it reliably none of the clutch kits out there last except the Clutchnet or if your lucky enough to come across an AP plate but as far as i know they are long discontinued. Clutchnet do plates that aren't as fierce and they do friction materials that are more driver friendly you just need to pick up phone and ask them for advice there real friendly bit slow but worth the wait!!
They even didn't mind putting up with me phoning them and had no issues about shipping to U.K. for me even gave me discount for buying lots of stuff and price matched the ally flywheel as i'd found a cheap deal on a clutchmasters one.

RobT5580
07-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah i found out the hard way myself and mine had less than 2k miles on it. I wish it was better because i really like the clutch other than that.

And its always best to ask others before you buy otherwise you end up finding out the hard way which can be costly.

EricW
07-22-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm running this 6 puck with a heavy duty pressure plate that i got from Adam and I like it. Its not much stiffer than stock it just grips more suddenly which is expected with a 6 puck. I've given it hell a few times and its held every thing I've given it. I'm running a 9lbs spring in the waste gate and I'm only seeing a little over 7lbs of boost at the map sensor with the pressure drop from the charge pipes and intercooler (on a stock motor).

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53745&highlight=clutch

igarut5410
08-29-2007, 12:03 AM
can the 3geez handle those kind of clutches... doesnt honda make some crappy clutch brakets?
Anyone had to replace their clutch braket yet?
I know that I dont like pulling off steering collumns... haha

LX-incredible
08-29-2007, 12:36 AM
Are you talking about the pedal box? It seems good enough for me.

AccordEpicenter
08-29-2007, 08:02 PM
i havent even broken a clutch cable yet with the dual diaphram its just a heavy pedal feel

igarut5410
08-30-2007, 11:04 PM
anyone here running centerforce clutches? Im thinking that I mighht pick that one up soon... its just that idk if our cars can handle a centerforce 2 clutch????
I already replaced my axels... hahaha..

LX-incredible
08-31-2007, 01:05 AM
anyone here running centerforce clutches? Im thinking that I mighht pick that one up soon... its just that idk if our cars can handle a centerforce 2 clutch????
I already replaced my axels... hahaha..

Some have had problems with centerforce, you should do a search...

MessyHonda
08-31-2007, 09:51 AM
yup if you want the best...get the clutch net stuff.