PDA

View Full Version : What to buy?

fogged
07-23-2007, 01:42 PM
OK... Thanx to a few of you guys I have fixed a clutch problem Ive had for some time now.
Heres the deal. I have $5,000 to put into my ride and I was hopeing to get some advise as how to best spend it. So far Ive done a full header to tip exaust, and a teg CAI. Thats the whats under the hood (on my mostly stock A20). As far as looks, Ive put on a set of 14 inch teggie 6 point wheels w/ kumo rubber, and an oem tail. In the trunk I have everything on Legend Masters list needed to do the 11inch brake set up as well as the rear SEi disk swap (need bigger wheels before I can put them on). Thanx Legend Master for the foot work, you rock man.
With all that said, what should my next step be? Advise is welcome.

evil88accordLX
07-23-2007, 01:48 PM
find a totaled out 02 civic si with the front clip in tact and swap in the k20.....

fogged
07-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Im not sure that I can do the swap, Still real new to this.

forrest89sei
07-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Well it depends on what you want to do.

you can beef up your A20 (Port and polish head, overbore the block, etc...)
or a more common swap would be a B18C5, K20 is too Tall to fit in the 3G engine bay without MAJOR WORK, H22 is also a Option but requires extensive modifications to the engine compartment also.

so I say MOD the A20 or get a B18c5

MessyHonda
07-24-2007, 12:00 AM
if you want to go fast you will need an engine swap or rebuild your engine with race parts.

che3wy
07-24-2007, 12:11 AM
JDM B20A engine baby.

Civic Accord Honda
07-24-2007, 12:32 AM
JDM B20A engine baby.
yup yup t hat well bolt right in i belive

evil88accordLX
07-24-2007, 05:27 AM
Well it depends on what you want to do.
you can beef up your A20 (Port and polish head, overbore the block, etc...)
or a more common swap would be a B18C5, K20 is too Tall to fit in the 3G engine bay without MAJOR WORK, H22 is also a Option but requires extensive modifications to the engine compartment also.
so I say MOD the A20 or get a B18c5
okay, so im sure this will start a "you cant do that" war, but again, im saying use the subframe for the k20. unlike our cars which have a front and rear crossmember to support the engine, the subframe for the k20 is basically a cradle. its one piece, has both front and rear crossmembers as well as side bracing, and was designed around the k20 itself. weld it into the car, there is no fighting with engine placement since the subframe dictates where the engine sits anyhow. it will also help stiffen up the front of the car. you can always take care of height clearance with a hood scoop, and before y'all tell me otherwise, go to the Hasport site and read about their k20 swaps. some of them require the subframe. and since i dont know of anyone who has swapped a k20 into a 3gee (and neither does anyone else), think about it for a minute before disagreeing. it would certainly be easier than building a tube frame front end to support the engine.

che3wy
07-24-2007, 08:23 AM
if he has that money i still say drop in the JDM. all he has to worry about is hte b18a bell housing if he wants to go manual and im sure money talks

evil88accordLX
07-24-2007, 11:04 AM
if he has that money i still say drop in the JDM. all he has to worry about is hte b18a bell housing if he wants to go manual and im sure money talks
IT SURE DOES!!!!

russiankid
07-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I would rebuild the engine, and run NA. Then the rest could go into suspension work like sturs, coil overs, sway bars, bushings, ball joints, bearings.

87LXiR
07-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Motor mods id say ignition system; better coil,wires and plugs. As for the suspension, you can keep it light and go with larger sway bars and upgrade your struts(Tokico, KYB, Koni {good luck} ); and you can take it a step further and get some springs preferably H&R's/Nuespeed. Other than that some cosmetic upgrades such as fog lights or a sound system.

Keep us updated with your decisions

imjdoggie
07-26-2007, 05:58 PM
$5k why not use that for a bike, used 600rr possibly??+

Vanilla Sky
07-26-2007, 07:05 PM
For $5000, I'd probably find a better 3gee and work from there. You already have the LXi, though.

Personally, I'd either perform a motor swap or rebuild an A20. Your engine is pretty tired, I can almost gurantee it. While in there, I'd get the head cleaned up, bump the compression up, toss in some forged rods, have the rotating assembly balanced, install a lightweight flywheel and a good clutch, and swap in Integra first and second gears.

Beyond that, freshen the suspension. New bushings and balljoints feel so good. After that, get a set of coilovers, as per Legend Master's guide.

There are so many things you can spend $5000 on. Spend it wisely. Make sure the car is in good shape before modifying the car for performance.

Pico
07-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I would rebuild the engine, and run NA. Then the rest could go into suspension work like sturs, coil overs, sway bars, bushings, ball joints, bearings.
I agree with russiankid I rebuilt my A20 and swapped in a 5 speed and I love driving the car all over again

tuxdreamerx
07-26-2007, 07:25 PM
yeah somehow I have a blown head gasket with only 3000 miles on my rebuilt engine

russiankid
07-26-2007, 07:31 PM
yeah somehow I have a blown head gasket with only 3000 miles on my rebuilt engine
Then something is wrong.

tuxdreamerx
07-26-2007, 07:33 PM
yeah I guess thats what I get for doing it myself

MessyHonda
07-26-2007, 11:18 PM
yeah I guess thats what I get for doing it myself

its an easy fix. well...a weekend job..hope you get it done better the 2nd time. also you need to make sure your headgasket was for .050 over.

fogged
08-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Ok..... Heres what I have done so far. I just got it outta the shop, had new control arms, lower ball joints, CV shafts, bearings, and all new bushings done on the front-end. Im still waiting on parts before I do the rear-end. I have H&R 1.5 inch srings comeing. Still need to find some good strurs.

Ill be back with more. See ya later!!!!!!!:cheers:

2drSE-i
08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
h&rs will go alright with tokicos. not too bouncy.