PDA

View Full Version : You Tein whores, did a little research

2drSE-i
07-25-2007, 06:30 AM
So remember a few months ago, Legend_master got a full coilover kit going on his Accord? this is all due to his technical know-how and a little researching. Well he discovered that 89-91 Civic Fronts go on our cars, and 90-93 Accord Rears as well.
Well i did some research as well, and Tein (although popular on Honda Tech, we will cut them some slack) makes an excellent kit for both of these models.

All that is involved in making this work is finding a Tein distributor to split up two kits for us...simple huh?? not so much. thought i would throw this out there.

2oodoor
07-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Ok I thought it was 92-95 Civic Rears and 87-91 Civic fronts.
Yea the only way to get a split is have a buddy at the distribution hub.. lol or buy both kits and return one :D

'A20A3'
07-25-2007, 07:05 AM
+REP

this thread needs a sticky, that's awesome news

Legend, why didn't you tell us!! :rant: hahaha

guaynabo89
07-25-2007, 07:10 AM
well...... Tein was supposed to implement a program that you send in your stock struts and they will turn it into whatever coilover system you want.

Give em a call and see. They started advertising this about 2 years ago.

che3wy
07-25-2007, 08:12 AM
i know someone who can help us with this. just let me know wat kind you want. basic or flex. i was looking into this too but i stopped cuz i know it was gonna be more expensive than the D2's that legend got. if there is a large interest let me know and i might be able to set up a group buy. i can get them full kits that are split for our purpose.

fogged
07-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Man I would give my left nut and my next born to find a split set. The thing is no one around here will do it. I even have a guy on the inside at a parts warehouse that wont do it. He dont want to lose his job.

che3wy
07-25-2007, 10:19 AM
like i said before if there is a large enough interest in getting a set thats split already for our car. then let me know. my estimates were 1400 for the flex and i believe 800 for the basics. let me know

MessyHonda
07-25-2007, 10:23 AM
+REP
this thread needs a sticky, that's awesome news
Legend, why didn't you tell us!! :rant: hahaha

he did he even posted up a video.

2drSE-i
07-25-2007, 10:44 AM
he just didnt tell us that all coilovers work...which is basic common sense cmon guys...

Tein SS is somewhere in between isnt it chewy? thats the parts i was looking at.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Legend knew this... and the information is clearly out there... They are tein SS's which are alright... I have a couple friends with them, and neither were too happy. But Tein won't split up sets... thats why d2's were the way to go... if you really want though you could order both sets and just use half of each one.

racetek82
07-25-2007, 09:57 PM
IIRC, the only reason why we couldn't use the EF Civic (89-91) full kit is that the rears were too short, causing the rear to have a super drop compared to the front. Also, the fronts on the EF kit, although they do work, are still a bit long compared to our stock struts (this might be only true for none coilovers). There are a few ways around these issues.

If I am correct about the rear issue, this can be corrected by using a cupped upper strut mount that lowers the mounting area for the strut. This would make up for the difference in strut lengths. Many companies are using this already, including TEIN. As for the front, I have been playing with the idea of building a new upper mount that would increase strut travel, and allow lower ride heights with smoother rides. This piece could possibly be made adjustable as well, although it would require minor cutting of the shock tower. These pieces could be made to fit most to all setups, including standard struts. If the interest is there, I'll start working on the CAD drawings to have some prototypes made.

Sorry to thread jack, but I felt that the consensus was that getting a split kit is too hard for everyone to be able to enjoy the benefits of a full coilover suspension.

Legend_master
07-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Well I though by saying
This thread will tell you what is needed to install full bodied coilovers on a 1986 Honda Accord.
You will need to find a company that is willing to split up two different coilover kits. I went with No Limit motorsports. I bought D2 racing coilovers, because they were the only company I could find willing to do this split.
What you need
that meant any kit. I will have to say, that you might not be able to use certain electronically controlled kits. The reason I say this is because you need to use the stock accord top hat.

Here is the thread if anybody missed it (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59533)

2drSE-i
07-26-2007, 07:32 AM
most people understood you antares. The general consensus through my research was the Tein was better than d2's, although not nearly as adjustable. i could be wrong though.

Cheeseburger
07-26-2007, 07:51 AM
from what i read on legends thread i understood that all struts would work. he even stated that D2 were the only ones that would sell split kits

2drSE-i
07-26-2007, 08:27 AM
right, but chewy said he had a buddy that could hook it up on some split up tein kits.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-26-2007, 08:42 AM
didn't really think of this before too, but with the teins you dont get adjustable perches either so i dunno.,

che3wy
07-26-2007, 08:49 AM
tein's do sell kits that have adjustable perches. but really how many of us really use that application. its a nice feature... and like wat legend did he had to use the stock top hats do i think getting the pillow ball hats are kinda pointless. like i said before let me know which set you guys are interested in and i'll ask him if he can do it. the reason why i said basic or flex was because that is wat i thought we could use. yes i've called no limit sports for the split and they said they can do it. just name wat company and part you want and i'll ask. this can apply to other brand name companies. except D2 being that my friend does supply them.

Legend_master
07-26-2007, 09:01 AM
tein's do sell kits that have adjustable perches. but really how many of us really use that application. its a nice feature... and like wat legend did he had to use the stock top hats do i think getting the pillow ball hats are kinda pointless. like i said before let me know which set you guys are interested in and i'll ask him if he can do it. the reason why i said basic or flex was because that is wat i thought we could use. yes i've called no limit sports for the split and they said they can do it. just name wat company and part you want and i'll ask. this can apply to other brand name companies. except D2 being that my friend does supply them.

We need the adjustable perches do to the difference in strut length between the 3gee and the other two cars. That's why you cant just go out and buy some 4G struts and 88 civic struts. You need to be able to adjust the length of the strut itself.

most people understood you antares. The general consensus through my research was the Tein was better than d2's, although not nearly as adjustable. i could be wrong though.

I think tein makes great products, but they use there name to charge more for the setups. I would like someone to try out the tien suspension, it would be wicked, but these d2s are holding up quite well.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
^^^ Ya IMO tein flex are awesome... but tein SS are nothing special... IMO you'd probably be better off getting like some ground controls and then Koni Yellows w/adjustable perches... would basically equate to a better setup with the same adjustability.

Zufer
07-29-2007, 08:59 PM
ok guys the main thing to look for with getting the full boddied coilovers is that the lower mounts are adjustable. this allows for lowering the car without loosing travel.

che3wy
07-31-2007, 10:43 PM
ok well i talked to my friend. he said he cannt get his discount on split kits. normal discount is 20% on teins. but he said cuz its split kits he cannt. but he can get it for regular price. which iunno is being that its a split kit. if anyone wants an idea throw some out here so i can ask him

2drSE-i
07-31-2007, 10:53 PM
can he actually get split up kits for us? im lost as to what your saying. It was cool of him to offer us his discount though

che3wy
07-31-2007, 11:02 PM
yes im sure he can get split kits. i think money up front though... but you gotta understand business.

edit: let me know which model you want and i'll go ask and get a quote

2drSE-i
07-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Tein Flex for 89-91 Civic Fronts, 90-93 Accord Rears. just to get an idea for these guys.

Legend_master
08-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Tein Flex for 89-91 Civic Fronts, 90-93 Accord Rears. just to get an idea for these guys.

:thumbup:

2drSE-i
08-01-2007, 07:29 AM
haha antares. You would think i would be happy with my koni/tokico setup....those things shake my teeth out and i still want something stiffer lol.

Legend_master
08-01-2007, 07:38 AM
haha antares. You would think i would be happy with my koni/tokico setup....those things shake my teeth out and i still want something stiffer lol.

Thats because your cool like me :lol: .

MessyHonda
08-01-2007, 10:12 AM
^^^you suspension whores

snoopyloopy
08-01-2007, 06:39 PM
^^^you post whore

Legend_master
08-01-2007, 06:41 PM
^^^you post whore

Thats what I was thinking :Owned: :lol: .

MessyHonda
08-01-2007, 09:16 PM
i still love you antares

2drSE-i
08-01-2007, 09:33 PM
i just think i would like the adjustability because on the way to school im all driving slow and safe on the highways (Oklahoma highways blow asshole btw, rough as shit) so that i dont have to worry about my cd skipping. But when i take it out for a "sprited drive" as somebody put it i want to enjoy it.