PDA

View Full Version : Hot Air Pipe Replacement = WTF!!!!

critt76
07-25-2007, 09:25 AM
I had to remove my Hot Air Pipe from the manifold by cutting it, in order to remove my manifold. I ordered the replacement pipe for 35.00. The problem is the "replacement part" is some type of flex hose. The piece I had to remove was stainless steel with coupled ends. This is just a flexible aluminum hose/pipe. I have no clue how this is supposed to do what the other pipe did. Anyone encountered this before? I'm also willing to take shit for cutting the old one off.

russiankid
07-25-2007, 10:40 AM
The hose you received is used to heat up the air that goes to the carb. This hose also runs from the exhaust manifold but to the carburetor air box. If you look on the coil side of the air box, you will see a hose connected under the air box. That hose looks similar to what you received. What you first cut off was actually the EGR pipe if i am not mistaken.

LX-incredible
07-25-2007, 11:28 AM
What you first cut off was actually the EGR pipe if i am not mistaken.That's what it sounds like to me.

2ndGenGuy
07-25-2007, 11:48 AM
In fact, the heated air hose doesn't connect to the exhaust manifold, but a heat shield that is covering the manifold. That sucks ass that you cut off the EGR pipe... that is a fun one to replace... It could be the air suction line too, since your car is carb'd.

xvok
07-25-2007, 11:51 AM
wait when i boutght my car i noticed that the hot air pipe was missing so i whent to a junk yard and pulled one but it was like this redish cloth composite material is that right?

2ndGenGuy
07-25-2007, 02:09 PM
wait when i boutght my car i noticed that the hot air pipe was missing so i whent to a junk yard and pulled one but it was like this redish cloth composite material is that right?

Yeah, it's a cloth-type stuff. You got the right stuff.

2oodoor
07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
you said the one you removed had coupled ends and was stainless steel , that sounds more like the egr pipe, not the hot air for intake.
If your replacement hose is the right diameter then it probably will work for little while.

xvok
07-25-2007, 02:54 PM
ok cuse i saw what it hooked up to and was a little unsure

carotman
07-27-2007, 05:29 AM
yeah, the thing you tought was the hot air pipe as acurally the EGR hehe (or Air suction pipe)

Did you hane only one of these pipes or actually two on the manifold?

critt76
07-27-2007, 08:44 AM
yeah, the thing you tought was the hot air pipe as acurally the EGR hehe (or Air suction pipe)

Did you hane only one of these pipes or actually two on the manifold?
There are two pipes that come into the manifold. The topmost pipe is smaller and I believe that to be the EGR pipe. The one that I cut comes into the manifold passing through the heat shroud.

carotman
07-27-2007, 12:16 PM
That's the Air suction pipe then

It should connect at the top of the intake manifold to a diapragm then goes back to the air cleaner through a black box.

88Accord-DX
07-27-2007, 07:21 PM
For future use, anyone that wants to remove the EGR pipe. Soak the fittings in PB BLASTER for a couple of hours. Then take a small propane torch & heat the outside of the fitting where the piece goes into it. Use the correct wrench to beak it loose. HUGE FLARE NUT wrench is the way to go. Pipe wrench as the last resort by all means.

AccordEpicenter
07-28-2007, 05:55 AM
i did the same thing cuz i couldnt get the nut off... for reconnecting it id just wrap it up with some thin sheetmetal with some hi temp rtv and hose clamps