PDA

View Full Version : need to replace oil pan

maybe_memories89lx
07-27-2007, 08:54 PM
The oil pan in my 89lx is leaking oil bad. How hard is it to replace it? Any writeups anywhere, thx.

russiankid
07-27-2007, 09:33 PM
You don't need to replace the oil pan. You need to replace the seal. This is done by dropping the exhaust, front cross member, and i even remove the lower engine mount which helps with room. Then make sure both surfaces are clean(block and pan) and get a OEM Honda gasket. Use sealant in the corners of the block where there is the drop out for the crankshaft. Download the shop manual it will help a lot.

Pico
07-27-2007, 09:36 PM
The oil pan in my 89lx is leaking oil bad. How hard is it to replace it? Any writeups anywhere, thx.
Welcome to the forum.
doing the pan gasket is a little bit of a pain to do, but it can be done if you just take your time.
Here's a link to the Accord Service manual, it should help you out doing it.
Click Here (http://www.pauldesign.ru/)
Just remember to get a good gasket ( O.E. Honda or Felpro ) clean the pan real well and do not over tighten the bolts
And use the search button it should help you find more info on what you need.
Good Luck and Have Fun working on the car

maybe_memories89lx
07-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks, hope tp learn a lot of stuff here. What do you mean by dropping the exhaust?

Pico
07-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks, hope tp learn a lot of stuff here. What do you mean by dropping the exhaust?
you have to unbolt the pipe from the exhaust manifold to move it out of the way

MessyHonda
07-28-2007, 01:02 AM
-sigh- this reminds me something else to do on my car

damn to do list grows every sec.

bushbean
08-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Make sure the culprit is really the oil pan gasket, before tackling it. I had the same problem, drippy oil pan. It turns the the problem was gasket for the valve cover (leaking from the timing belt side) and the gasket under the oil filter base plate. These two things are cheak and relatively easy to replace. I would do those first, if they haven't been done.

w261w261
08-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Also make sure the leak isn't coming from the oil filter (probably you have leaks from all these places ). The surface of the housing where the oil filter seals can have a buildup of crud over the years, preventing the oil filter seal from making a good contact. Then there's the seal between the oil filter housing and the block. It has a figure-8 gasket on it and is a typical place for leaks.

Try to start at the top of the engine and work down, leak-wise. If you don't have to mess with the pan gasket, so much the better. It's not a pleasant job, and if you don't do it exactly right, it can end up still leaking. BIG HINT: USE HONDA OEM GASKETS. Some others *might* be ok, but definitely might not. Honda is always ok, and Honda always costs the most, but you get some peace of mind.