PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer enclosure installation help please

DaveTheAve
07-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Alright, before we start I'd like to say that I'm a broke guy who knows nothing about cars but, with the help of this site, am slowly learning (I already installed a after-market deck; Panasonic CQ-C1333U).
Well here is the deal, my mother's new boyfriend found a (working) subwoofer enclosure in the back of one of his old cars and gave it to me yesterday. I do NOT know the amp rating, the subwoofer size, the RMS, or if it is Single Voice Coil or Dual.
I do know I need to run power (4gauge) and sound to the enclosure and they have to be on separate sides of the car.
My Questions:

Were do i get the power from?
Were do I get the RCA cable's feed from?
HOW do i run BOTH wires to the trunk?
I read that I needed a toggle switch to turn the subs off... how do I implement this? (I removed the cig-lighter so can I use that space for one?)
How can I help you guys help me learn how to do this better?

I know most of you are thinking if your so completely clueless pay someone to do it for you; however, I'm the type that prefers to do-it-himself to learn... and as i said I have no money in my budget for (unneeded) car upgrades.

Edit: Dangit! Wrong forum.... i'm sorry I can figure out how to change the forum i posted to or even delete this post. Etherway, I still need the help above. I'm sorry about this.

Edit 2: Thanks for moving the thread.

shepherd79
07-28-2007, 05:45 PM
my friend you need to read this webpage from start to finish.
http://www.bcae1.com/

ghettogeddy
07-28-2007, 05:50 PM
no toggle switch is needed u get power from the battery u get the audio source form the head unit and u run everything under the plastic covers that hold the carpet down u want to run the power on one side and the audio source on the other u will also need a remote wire witch will most likely be a blue wire that plugs into the deck id run that along side the power wire

DaveTheAve
07-29-2007, 03:32 AM
my friend you need to read this webpage from start to finish.
http://www.bcae1.com/

Crap it's science class all over again lol... Thanks though, this site WILL be helpful and I WILL read it all the way before I think about messing with my car.

ghettogeddy: I don't think the Remote Wire switch will work due to the fact the the radio constantly receives power; including when the car is off. Unless i'm mistaken and the blue wire is still effective.

guaynabo89
07-29-2007, 04:15 AM
If your radio can turn on without the key in the ignition and your ignition has an acc position then the radio is not wired up correctly.

run a fused wire from the batt to the trunk

run the ground wire from the amp to the metal body of the car using some sort of bolt to secure it down. scrape the paint a little so it makes contact to the bare metal itself

take the head unit out and you will run both the left and right channel rca's and the blue remote turn on wire to your amp in the trunk.

thats basicly it. route all the wires especially the rca cables away from any wiring since they will pick up engine noise. the amp remote you can run wherever you want. if you have a third gen accord then run the rca cables either staight back under the rug under the shifter ebrake console to the trunk or by the passenger sidedoor under the rug next to the seat to the trunk. just make sure you keep em away from other wires and if you do cross wires do so at a 90 degree angle. basicly making a plus sign.

you dont need a toggle switch. thats what the blue remote wire is for in the back.

now being that your radio stays on with the ignition off Id look at the wiring to fixt this problem. if the wiring harness isnt all chopped up already i recomend geting an afterarke harness for a honda so you can wire your radio harness into that and simply plug into your factory honda radio plug.

Sabz5150
07-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Were do i get the power from?

Run 4 gauge power from your positive battery terminal to your trunk. You'll want to fuse this line at the battery. Actually you MUST fuse that line. All this can be had at any car audio shop.

Were do I get the RCA cable's feed from?

The rear of your headunit. Most aftermarket HU's have preouts (RCA connectors for low level output). They'll be clearly labeled.

HOW do i run BOTH wires to the trunk?

Time to grab a wrench. Run the power through the firewall through any open grommet. Run it under the carpet and through to the back. The same goes with the RCAs... run them under the carpet to the trunk. Keep those two away from each other, you don't want engine noise over your system.

I read that I needed a toggle switch to turn the subs off... how do I implement this? (I removed the cig-lighter so can I use that space for one?)

Incorrect.

On your headunit, there is a blue lead that normally doesn't go to anything. It should be labelled "remote" or "power antenna". Connect this to the remote lead on your enclosure/amp. If you look at the power block, it'll most likely be the plug that accepts the smallest lead.

Run this in the same manner that you did with the power and RCAs.

Ground the enclosure in the trunk. any bolt in there should do.

DaveTheAve
07-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Alright, thanks guys for your help... I feel like with your replys and that REALLY GOOD SITE (!!) I can install this thing without ANY problems. However, that is not entirely correct for I have one last question about the amp.

It seems that the enclosure does not include an amp (kinda the reason i opened it up), and the sub wires and speaker have been disconnected.

The enclosure contains a Titian 10" 210watt 4ohm sub and a Audiotek CW820 100 watt speaker. May question is how do I wire these speakers to the RCA cable and amp and what size amp is recommended?

Also I tryed finding this information out on BCAE1.com but I couldn't find it... if someone can direct me in a place where I can answer this question for myself in the future i'd be glad to.

Thanks for all your help though! :wave:

EDIT: I'm planning on replaceing the speaker with another 10" sub... most likely the same wattage as the other sub for constancy. So if you can please include that into the amp recommendation please.

EDIT 2: I went to an automotive audio shop today and had them run me though the items I should use. They have a complete amp install kit for $50 (which is cheaper then buying them by themselfs), and can sell me a 1k amp for $150 (he had offered a smaller amp 450watt; however it's only $30 cheaper.) Now I just need $200, some sub-stuffing, and I should be ready to install!

ghettogeddy
07-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Alright, thanks guys for your help... I feel like with your replys and that REALLY GOOD SITE (!!) I can install this thing without ANY problems. However, that is not entirely correct for I have one last question about the amp.

It seems that the enclosure does not include an amp (kinda the reason i opened it up), and the sub wires and speaker have been disconnected.

The enclosure contains a Titian 10" 210watt 4ohm sub and a Audiotek CW820 100 watt speaker. May question is how do I wire these speakers to the RCA cable and amp and what size amp is recommended?

Also I tryed finding this information out on BCAE1.com but I couldn't find it... if someone can direct me in a place where I can answer this question for myself in the future i'd be glad to.

Thanks for all your help though! :wave:

EDIT: I'm planning on replaceing the speaker with another 10" sub... most likely the same wattage as the other sub for constancy. So if you can please include that into the amp recommendation please.

EDIT 2: I went to an automotive audio shop today and had them run me though the items I should use. They have a complete amp install kit for $50 (which is cheaper then buying them by themselfs), and can sell me a 1k amp for $150 (he had offered a smaller amp 450watt; however it's only $30 cheaper.) Now I just need $200, some sub-stuffing, and I should be ready to install!
50 for a kit is kinda expensive for a budget install i say search ebay ull find some thing for half the price for sure

MessyHonda
07-30-2007, 07:55 PM
^^^nice sig geddy...haha