PDA

View Full Version : Smoke out of the wrong end and coolant issues

wasgivenanaccord
07-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi everyone
I did an oil change on my 89 accord (EFI) and when i went to pull the dipstick, there was smoke coming out of the tube, same with the engine oil cap - it was just plain bizzare... at some point this car has been leaking oil because there's traces of it all around, as well as at the base of the air filter box. there's no smoke coming off the back and the engine is rough on account of bad timing and it's leaking coolant...
The coolant - i can see the metal pipe that runs the length of the engine and has about 4 or 5 outlets off it - that's definitely leaking; the problem is how to get to it - there's a ton of stuff in the way...?
Thanks in advance
Shawn

blh1983
07-28-2007, 03:29 PM
If I were to guess you have a blown head gasket. That smoke might be steam from water thats gotten into your oil. Does the dipstick have little clear spots, or is the oil more brown than black or transparent. And if your going to get to that leak which is probably part of the blown head gasket, your going to have to remove all that stuff that's in the way; one painstaking bolt at a time... Just remember which bolt goes where, and if you remove a gasket or an oring take a picture of where it goes into the parts store or post it up here; we all look out for each other on here... That's been my experience so far. I've never done a headgasket and by no means am I a mechanic. In fact I probably have no business even telling you what I think it is. So I don't blame you if you wait for someone else to put there two cents in. But I do have a basic understanding of the way things work when it comes to cars. I hope this is helpful. If I'm right, someone please confirm for me for our friend here, lol. :rockon:

wasgivenanaccord
07-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Tks for the suggestion blh - I really am not in the mood to go after a head gasket for the amount of work involved... I just did one yesterday on a Windstar 3.8L and that went surprisingly well, but that's a rather different animal) I will run the car and check the oil monday (car's at work - i haven't plated it yet) - just did an oil change last week - but hopefully there are signs... Thanks a lot

g.frost
07-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Lots of smoke out the oil fill and dipstick sounds like excessive blowby and/or clogged PCV. Blowby is caused by bad rings: may want to try a compression check & check the PCV to see if it's clogged. Whatever is leaking coolant needs to be fixed ASAP. A good overheating will require the head gasket be replaced for sure. ( how many miles on the engine?)

wasgivenanaccord
07-28-2007, 05:51 PM
The engine has 197,000kms on it - but i imagine it wasn't consistently put on (the car has likely been sitting for a while before the last couple of owners reserructed it). How complicated / tight are these engines to work on? compared to say a similar age prelude Prelude or a 4g? I'm just trying to think of the repair scenarios... Will replace the PCV...
The coolant is leaking either from the metal pipe that runs along the engine from which the rubber hoses lead out or from the rubber hoses themselves. i have a replacement pipe (the last owner ordered it and changed his mind on the install). my mate thinks it is a rubber hose leaking which isn't quite as bad to install...
The car isn't going on the road till the coolant situation is under control.

forrest89sei
07-28-2007, 06:30 PM
These motors are pretty easy to work on

You can get the Free 1986-89 official Honda shop manuals here:

http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Honda_service_manuals

lostforawhile
07-28-2007, 06:59 PM
is it leaking near the water pump? if it is,there is an O ring in the end of that pipe where it goes into the pump. sigh,mine isn't leaking there yet,but i need to replace it anyway,before it starts to leak.