PDA

View Full Version : valve overlap or float ??

PearlDrummer00
07-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Well I notice around 5 and a half thousand rpms the motor is making this sound as if it were well above redline. And I have a huge power lose. The sound is a real vtec sounding growl. My valves are adjusted fairly good. They could be Better. Intake is .006 and exhaust is .012. Just like 3 geez says lol. And I heard bad valve springs could be the answer but they we're already refurbished. Any body got any other explanation?

PearlDrummer00
07-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Anyone????

2ndGenGuy
07-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Isn't that right around when the secondaries open on the intake? Maybe they're not opening or one of them is all screwed up...

Oldblueaccord
07-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Well the secondaries do come on about then. I do agree the noise isn't the most pleasant I ever heard a motor make. Is it bad? I dunno. I went into the red 1st 2nd today getting on the highway to goto work never seemed to bother the car before just might not sound as pleasant.

I guess the real test is to change all the valve springs or find a motor/car with much less miles on it and see what it does.

The valve setting I usually shoot for in the middle of the spec as best I can. The top end is a little noisy on our cars but as long as the noise is a uniform clicky/clack at idle I'm always ok with it.

wp

PearlDrummer00
07-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Well the motor has about 3k since it was rebuilt. So I'm assuming nothings going "bad" but the noise is pretty distinct. And I know for sure that my seconddaries are not working. So that could be a possibility. Cuz I do notice a power lose around this time in the power band.

Oldblueaccord
07-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Could just wire the secondaries open for a test. Try using the next up octane gas too might help.

wp