PDA

View Full Version : aw hell. my damn power steering went out

HondaBoy
09-12-2002, 07:48 PM
:crying: :wtf: well on thursday i was turning the corner to turn onto my street when the steering wheel got heavy. i imeadiatly knew it was my power steering. as i turned it the fluid ran out of it and onto the street and my driveway. well thats a bitch. i am going to have to do some privated jobs for some people to get this money to fix it. its going to cost (est.) $300-$400. i cant believe this happened to my car but i hope that it is just an old hose or something simple like that. the dealership told me not to drive it so i have to drive my luxury car. not a bad car cuz its a 2002 accord EX-L.its just expensive and i dont like to put lots of miles on it.i love to drive it though.

AZmike
09-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Put some fluid in it just to see what is leaking. I drove mine for a few weeks before I got everything organized to swap out my steering rack. Just pull the pump belt and don't drive too fast in parking lots and it's not too bad. At speed you can't even tell the difference.

tatmark1
09-13-2002, 09:50 AM
save ur self some cash and ditch the power steering

ACCORD EX
09-13-2002, 10:25 AM
i have the same problem but it's not leaking that much !

MIKE

HondaBoy
10-14-2002, 04:19 PM
well i have got a new rack and pinion unit put in, but that damn thing is still hard to steer. it is like filled up with fluid and not leaking. i guess i need to take it to a professional.

88WhiteLX-i
10-14-2002, 04:40 PM
What do you have a lease or some shit??? I would be driving in STYLE with the new Accord if I was you.....

Neuspeed007
10-19-2002, 10:20 PM
private jobs ay??

2Fast4U86
10-20-2002, 01:15 AM
I had steering problems right after driving through big puddles... wet belt slips... if it is not leaking now and the p/s failure stopped, then it could just be the water from the pavement getting up into the engine bay. Tighten the belt?

2Fast4U

smufguy
10-20-2002, 07:54 PM
of all gens, the 3gen accord is the only accord u can steer with ur pinky. its amazing how they did it. Nice job on the Honda dudes. well this does not pertain to your problem, but i just wanted to say that I LOVE my pwr Steering:D

ACCORD EX
10-20-2002, 11:21 PM
:super: > power steering !

i hope mine will survive ! :(

MIKE

HondaBoy
10-21-2002, 06:56 PM
well my power steering was realy great until i busted.it was soooooo easy to steer. now its shit. im going to take it to my honda dealership. they always get everything just right so i cant go wrong going there except for the price. that new rack is harder to steer so i know something is wrong. my '02 accord is fully paid for. and for those private jobs, well they are mostly detailing cars that i cant get my hands on, and some stuff for old people that seem to have money out that wazoo. i havent done anything illegal or anything weird so dont get any funny ideas. but for real i need to get a good job. i thought maybe at a car parts place like O'reilly's Auto Parts. its just up my street so even if i didnt have my ride i could get there. plus i would hate to work in a resraunt or grocery store. any thing that has to do with cars.

OldSchoolSwap
10-21-2002, 10:36 PM
Well, acording to Honda, this is what you'll end up paying for a new pump (just the part) plus labor. They listed 2 part numbers, looks like either one will fit.

Part # 56110-PH1-050 PUMP SUB-ASSY., POWER STEERING $432.84
Part # 56110-PH1-070 PUMP SUB-ASSY., POWER STEERING $432.84

The good news is that i have a pump that you can use and its for SALE!!!
Will sell for $80

HondaBoy
10-22-2002, 07:48 PM
i have a new rack and pinion installed about 2 weeks ago. i need to still take a look at why its not easy to turn when im stopped or going slow. i didnt put the recommended honda power steering fluid because the store ran out. its supposed to be mineral oil based.

OldSchoolSwap
10-22-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by HondaBoy
i have a new rack and pinion installed about 2 weeks ago. i need to still take a look at why its not easy to turn when im stopped or going slow. i didnt put the recommended honda power steering fluid because the store ran out. its supposed to be mineral oil based. Well, email me if anything.

HondaBoy
11-30-2002, 09:44 PM
hey should i use the "Honda" power steering fluid for my R&P to work correctly? its not back to how it used to be. u know, easy as shit to turn. maybe i should drain the PS system and put new fluind specificly made for hondas in.

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-30-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by HondaBoy
hey should i use the "Honda" power steering fluid for my R&P to work correctly? its not back to how it used to be. u know, easy as shit to turn. maybe i should drain the PS system and put new fluind specificly made for hondas in.
Definitely YES!!! You have to use either the genuine Honda fluid, or the aftermarket fluid that says "for Honda/Acura vehicles". I'd stick with the Honda stuff though, since you know it's good stuff. Regular fluid will make the seals swell and blow the rack up again.