PDA

View Full Version : Car running hot

my89LXihatch
07-30-2007, 06:03 AM
My 89 LXi Hatch over heated and blow a huge plug out the top of my radiatior. It was July 4th my daughter was in very heavy traffic bearly moving. I have since replaced the radiator and the hoses. When driving everythings good.It even runs cooler than before.Problem is it can get pretty hot, close to the danger zone.My question is this. The fan will come on when the car is off, but it dose run when the car is running. Should it run when the the engine is running to cool it down. By the way it also has A/C problems.

Pico
07-30-2007, 06:04 AM
did you bleed the system after you installed everything?
You may have air still trapped in there

nswst8
07-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Did you replace the thermostat?

MessyHonda
07-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Did you replace the thermostat?

and remember to replace it with a OEM honda one. it fixed my overheating problem.

my89LXihatch
07-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Yes we did replace the thermostat and we flushed the system. Even added a pressure release cap.

MessyHonda
07-30-2007, 07:19 AM
is the water pump fine? when was the last time you changed it?

my89LXihatch
07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
I have never replaced the water pump. Water is flowing though the system though.

nswst8
07-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Yes we did replace the thermostat and we flushed the system. Even added a pressure release cap.
Are you talking about a lever preasure release cap?
Make sure that you have the correct PSI rated radiator cap.

ahmad89
07-30-2007, 08:36 AM
so your fans dont turn on when the car is running? i wired my fans to a switch and ever since i did that my car hasnt over heated at all, maybe your thermo sensor is going out.

russiankid
07-30-2007, 08:39 AM
So let me get this straight, you did not bleed the system?

my89LXihatch
07-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Bleed the coolant system? I flushed after the new parts were put on. But is the fan supposed to kick on while the car is going, and the temp rises, or do you use the A/C and that fan running is suffent for cooling the engine. A/c is not working right now. So could that be a problem.

Pico
07-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Bleed the coolant system? I flushed after the new parts were put on. But is the fan supposed to kick on while the car is going, and the temp rises, or do you use the A/C and that fan running is suffent for cooling the engine. A/c is not working right now. So could that be a problem.
there is a bleeder valve on the thermostat housing to released the trapped air in the system, check that first to see if that solves the overheating problem

Toneloc5145
07-30-2007, 10:47 AM
The fan should turn on when the car is running and at the normal operating temp (the temp needle should be slightly below the middle mark on the guage), regardless of whether your A/C is on or not.

ahmad89
07-30-2007, 10:51 AM
bleeding the system really helps just keep loosening the bolt wait a sec then close it then repeat a few times and top off but be careful that bolt likes to break off so dont tighten it too tight just tight enough so no more fluid comes out.

my89LXihatch
07-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks. I didn't know about the bleeding. Learn something new all the time. I will try that. Thanks.

russiankid
07-30-2007, 12:34 PM
bleeding the system really helps just keep loosening the bolt wait a sec then close it then repeat a few times and top off but be careful that bolt likes to break off so dont tighten it too tight just tight enough so no more fluid comes out.
It not only helps it is necessary.

ahmad89
07-30-2007, 12:46 PM
It not only helps it is necessary.
didnt say it was but thats most likely the issue, dam russians

russiankid
07-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks. I didn't know about the bleeding. Learn something new all the time. I will try that. Thanks.
After you bleed the system drive around and and make sure it doesn't over heat. Then feel the bottom radiator hose, it should be hot. If it isn't hot, then you have a problem with your radiator being clogged, which it shouldn't be as you said you replaced it. Thermostat which you also replaced, and then the water pump which you didn't replace. Just try bleeding it and see what happens. Just do not over heat it or you will warp the head or blow the head gasket, both of which are not fun.

w261w261
07-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Here's what you do:

Fill the overflow bottle to somewhere above the minimum mark.
Open the radiator cap
Slide the heater control to Hot
Open the bleeder valve on the top of the thermostat housing
Start the car and let it come up to temperature
Add water to the radiator as needed
When the water stops spitting out of the bleeder valve (e.g. comes out in a steady stream), close it and tighten....not too hard.
Replace radiator cap

g.frost
07-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Lots of good advice here but I will repeat what Toneloc5145 said ...to make sure the radiator fan turns on when the temp is up to (or slightly above) normal. When driving at 30 mph or above there is enough air moving through the radiator that the fan will not usually come on. But stuck in traffic, with no air movement, if the fan does not cycle, it WILL OVERHEAT. So after all is checked out, the car is up to temp. park & idle it. Verify that the fan will cycle on when the temp gauge starts to rise.

w261w261
07-30-2007, 06:52 PM
BTW, an early warning of a low coolant level is the idle beginning to fluctuate and the temp gauge moving around. What has happened is the level in the coolant bottle has (finally) dropped too low, and air has gotten introduced into the system. If you're losing your idle speed, look at the coolant level pronto. And after adding coolant, do another bleed.

One of the more aggravating features of our cars is that the coolant bottle is way down there where it's hard to see. And, the inside of the bottle is usually stained from mineral deposits. Consequently, you tend to put off checking the level....until it's too late. The fix is to remove the battery, take out the battery tray (not a big deal), and remove the bottle. Clean it with something like "The Must For Rust" (get it at KMart etc), or Milk Stone Remover, anything with phosphoric acid in it. It will get rid of the rust stains.

Another approach is to take off the cap of the bottle, and use a dipstick to check the water level. Or, you can just fill the bottle up. It will be kind of messy the first time you drive the car, as it regurgitates the excess coolant onto the road. That's bad manners, plus antifreeze is poisonous and sweet, and just a little bit is a deadly combo for dogs.

MessyHonda
07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
hope the blead valve helps

my89LXihatch
07-31-2007, 04:22 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. I do know from checking, that when the car heats up under idle. That the fan will not come on. When you shut the car off however the fan will come on untill the engine cools down and the shut off.

imjdoggie
07-31-2007, 05:47 AM
Thermostat switch

my89LXihatch
07-31-2007, 07:41 AM
At the bottom of the radiator? If so should have replaced that too.....

MessyHonda
07-31-2007, 08:34 AM
At the bottom of the radiator? If so should have replaced that too.....

some times they are bad....pico said his napa switch worked

my89LXihatch
07-31-2007, 10:16 AM
I will try that. Thanks