PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust , Header , & Short Shifter

89hondaSOHC
07-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Pacesetter heaers and a B&M short shifter from summit racing today. I want to get pretty good springs and shocks, any sug.???

ahmad89
07-24-2007, 04:23 PM
toxico shocks and H&R springs i hear were good.

Pico
07-24-2007, 05:49 PM
toxico shocks and H&R springs i hear were good.
tokico and H&R thats what I have and I'm happy with it, unless you get lucky and find a set of Koni's then I'd get those, only thing is they dont make them anymore for the 3G so you would have to go used and have them rebuilt if they are in bad shape

MessyHonda
07-24-2007, 05:55 PM
b&m never made a shortshifter for our car unelss you plan on customizing like a 88-91 civic one or the 83-87 prelude one.

i have tokico shocks and neuspeed springs(same spring rate as h&rs) and they are a really good ride.

89hondaSOHC
07-24-2007, 07:34 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=BMM%2D45047&N=700+4294907813&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Thats the one i ordered. IF its the wrong one im fooked. I talked to a service guy on the phone and he said that it would work with the 89 accord LXI

Pico
07-24-2007, 07:46 PM
that would be cool if it does fit in the 3G.
Keep us informed when you get it installed, and I forgot to ask if you got the pacesetters ceramic coated

89hondaSOHC
07-25-2007, 07:00 AM
that would be cool if it does fit in the 3G.
Keep us informed when you get it installed, and I forgot to ask if you got the pacesetters ceramic coated

They call it "armor coat" but yea they are

2oodoor
07-25-2007, 07:05 AM
I think those blue coated pacesetters look cool but I dont think I have seen any on here installed.

shepherd79
07-25-2007, 08:39 AM
if that is the shifter in that picture they show, it won't work. that is for newer civics and tegs. i know some one made it work long time ago but he went back to stock one.
the only companies that ever made short shifters for our cars are pacessetter and DC sports. well technicly dc didn't make for our cars but it did for 84-87 civic and it will work for our cars.
this is what short shifter should look like for 3G accord. http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/twincamtech_1958_52608359

too bad dc doesn't make them anymore.

89hondaSOHC
07-25-2007, 09:01 AM
if that is the shifter in that picture they show, it won't work. that is for newer civics and tegs. i know some one made it work long time ago but he went back to stock one.
the only companies that ever made short shifters for our cars are pacessetter and DC sports. well technicly dc didn't make for our cars but it did for 84-87 civic and it will work for our cars.
this is what short shifter should look like for 3G accord. http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/twincamtech_1958_52608359
too bad dc doesn't make them anymore.

Ok i trust you guys more then i do the summit guys so where can i order the DC sport shifter??

I found this but its for the 89 CRX, are they not conpatable? http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/Civic/BPESh/Short+Shifter+B%26M+Pro+E.html

shepherd79
07-25-2007, 12:13 PM
like I said, only DC sport and pacessetter makes short shifters for our cars. B&M doesn't make them at all. so you need to stop looking at B&M products.

the only way you can find dc short shifter if some one is selling here or other forum or ebay.

2drSE-i
07-25-2007, 12:37 PM
and again, please search dude. theres threads everywhere with this information in it.

89hondaSOHC
07-25-2007, 03:45 PM
I didnt look JUST for b&m and if everyone always says "search" then y post anything ever???

2drSE-i
07-25-2007, 06:34 PM
because some questions actually havent been asked. but the last two that you have asked have been answered probably 800 times in the last year.

89hondaSOHC
07-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Im sorry, im new to the site and dont know how to use it to its full extent.

labeledsk8r
07-25-2007, 09:00 PM
i hope i dont lose my edge lol i odnt think anyone knows that this place sells them and i was gona hold out till i had one after i got my car but i will be a nice guy and help ya out, heres a link to somsone that sells the pacesetter one that is made exactly for the 3gee, have fun and hopefully not everoyne will order up there stock lol

http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/1986_1989_accord/transmission/short_shifters/pace_setter/

MessyHonda
07-26-2007, 08:52 AM
damn 90 bucks...at least its adjustable.

che3wy
07-26-2007, 08:55 AM
damn 90 bucks...at least its adjustable.

i thought short shifters were always adjustable

89hondaSOHC
07-26-2007, 09:16 AM
i hope i dont lose my edge lol i odnt think anyone knows that this place sells them and i was gona hold out till i had one after i got my car but i will be a nice guy and help ya out, heres a link to somsone that sells the pacesetter one that is made exactly for the 3gee, have fun and hopefully not everoyne will order up there stock lol
http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/1986_1989_accord/transmission/short_shifters/pace_setter/

Thanks alot, im goin to order that one as soon as i return the one from summit. BTW it says your from ocala? I was born and raised there, but now im in th 2nd hell called arizona

MessyHonda
07-26-2007, 09:30 AM
i thought short shifters were always adjustable

mine is custom.....the ratio is 30% less travel than the stock one.

labeledsk8r
07-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks alot, im goin to order that one as soon as i return the one from summit. BTW it says your from ocala? I was born and raised there, but now im in th 2nd hell called arizona

yep i was born and raised here aswell, and belive me not much has changed more people in the same size city

LX-incredible
07-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Where in AZ? You know, Paseshitter is out of Phoenix.

89hondaSOHC
07-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Where in AZ? You know, Paseshitter is out of Phoenix.

Im in Avondale

89hondaSOHC
07-27-2007, 09:19 AM
I got my header and shifter in the mail. The B&M shifter DOES work but has play up and down so its not the right fit. I know i was told that but why not try? I live in arizona so i called pacesetter and they want $340 for the exhaust, but summit wants $220. Summit does charge a $10 handling fee but shipping is free, does anyone know why the price difference is so large?

MessyHonda
07-27-2007, 09:35 AM
retail value and online value. sucks about the short shifter at least it can be done.

Legend_master
07-27-2007, 09:36 AM
I got my header and shifter in the mail. The B&M shifter DOES work but has play up and down so its not the right fit. I know i was told that but why not try? I live in arizona so i called pacesetter and they want $340 for the exhaust, but summit wants $220. Summit does charge a $10 handling fee but shipping is free, does anyone know why the price difference is so large?

Dude, just have an exhaust shop build you a system. Don't tell them how much pacesetter wants or anything, cause they will jack up the price. Tell them you want 2.5" piping from the cat back. If you can afford it, go ahead and get a bigger catalytic converter. What state do you liver in?

89hondaSOHC
07-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Dude, just have an exhaust shop build you a system. Don't tell them how much pacesetter wants or anything, cause they will jack up the price. Tell them you want 2.5" piping from the cat back. If you can afford it, go ahead and get a bigger catalytic converter. What state do you liver in?

I live in arizona. I do know a shop that does awsome work. I have already bought the headers and they come with the down pipe. How much would it cost to get a system made from the cat all the way back??

Legend_master
07-27-2007, 09:45 AM
I live in arizona. I do know a shop that does awsome work. I have already bought the headers and they come with the down pipe. How much would it cost to get a system made from the cat all the way back??

I only ask where you live, because of emission laws. I dont know how much you will have to pay for a system, it all depends on the shop. I got my exhaust done for $75.00, but I know the guy that does the work and I bring all my cars to him. Shop around and ask multiple shops untill you find the cheapest one. THats how I did it.

89hondaSOHC
07-27-2007, 09:48 AM
I only ask where you live, because of emission laws. I dont know how much you will have to pay for a system, it all depends on the shop. I got my exhaust done for $75.00, but I know the guy that does the work and I bring all my cars to him. Shop around and ask multiple shops untill you find the cheapest one. THats how I did it.

Ok i will do that. I notice that alot of people go with the magnaflow muffler? Is there a certain one?

Legend_master
07-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Ok i will do that. I notice that alot of people go with the magnaflow muffler? Is there a certain one?

Im not to knowledgable on magnaflow, but I know they are a good company. YOu will not need anything bigger then 2.5" on an N/A motor.

89hondaSOHC
07-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Im not to knowledgable on magnaflow, but I know they are a good company. YOu will not need anything bigger then 2.5" on an N/A motor.

OK. What did you get on your car?

MessyHonda
07-27-2007, 09:55 AM

2.5 inch pipe might not be good. i read that a 2.0L engine 2.25 should be the max on a NA engine. even on my exhuast at low rpms it like pops(mini backfires) high rpms are smooth tho. i have a magnaflow cat and muffler...sounds ok...a bit loud at times.

2ndGenGuy
07-27-2007, 09:56 AM
I had a shop build me a 2 1/2 inch exhaust off of my header back for my car, with a new high-flow cat, and Magnaflow muffler, it came out to about $450. You'd probably have to call the shop though to find out, it depends on what they charge for parts and labor costs. Could be a couple hundred dollar difference.

Legend_master
07-27-2007, 10:05 AM
2.5 inch pipe might not be good. i read that a 2.0L engine 2.25 should be the max on a NA engine. even on my exhuast at low rpms it like pops(mini backfires) high rpms are smooth tho. i have a magnaflow cat and muffler...sounds ok...a bit loud at times.

That popping is due to the car running rich. I have a 1.8L with 3" piping(i know it's over kill, but I didnt want to get another system after turbo), and it runs fine.

89hondaSOHC
07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
http://www.fasterthanthem.com/product.php?productid=328771

I think im goin to order this. It says its the right one. Now does it install without useing any of the stock part or do i ned to keep my stock parts just incase??

89hondaSOHC
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
So i called around and got some quotes and i didnt find anything lower then 380. I have the header from pacesetter, i asked for a high flow cat and a magnaflow muffler with 2" piping. Maby arizona just sucks(its a known fat)

BITESIZE
07-30-2007, 12:16 PM
So i called around and got some quotes and i didnt find anything lower then 380. I have the header from pacesetter, i asked for a high flow cat and a magnaflow muffler with 2" piping. Maby arizona just sucks(its a known fat)

Get the parts off of ebay and get the piping from the muffler shop.

MessyHonda
07-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Get the parts off of ebay and get the piping from the muffler shop.

that is what i did...i got my cat and muffler for less than 100 bucks for both....the pipe the guy did charge me a premium since its like menderal bend and it was less than 200. and with headers you should be able to free up at least 7-10 hp

A20A1
08-04-2007, 01:32 PM

If you're getting 2" make sure it's mandrel or draw bent since die/press bent exhaust has nasty crimping that decreases pipe diameter at the bends and may make it not worth the money/effort to get 2".

89hondaSOHC
08-04-2007, 02:08 PM
If you're getting 2" make sure it's mandrel or draw bent since die/press bent exhaust has nasty crimping that decreases pipe diameter at the bends and may make it not worth the money/effort to get 2".

I got it done in 2.25 inch piping

knarg
08-04-2007, 02:49 PM
i want to see the pacesetter short shifter in action!

stat1K
08-04-2007, 03:34 PM
aren't most honda shifters alike? i know for civic's you can get an 88-2000 shifter?? but where at in arizona are you? there are a couple good exhaust shops i know of... pm me if you want the names i'll find their addresses and stuff too. and arizona does suck and it is a well well known fact.

89hondaSOHC
08-04-2007, 03:58 PM
aren't most honda shifters alike? i know for civic's you can get an 88-2000 shifter?? but where at in arizona are you? there are a couple good exhaust shops i know of... pm me if you want the names i'll find their addresses and stuff too. and arizona does suck and it is a well well known fact.

I got the system done at a friends shop for pretty cheap. Pro muffler, 87th and bell. I live at 126th ave and indian shool

LX-incredible
08-04-2007, 08:00 PM
and arizona does suck and it is a well well known fact.
:werd: But it's still better than Cali!:Owned:

89hondaSOHC
08-04-2007, 08:06 PM

Yes.......:Owned: Ill :cheers: to that

snoopyloopy
08-04-2007, 09:25 PM
:slap: :bong: oh, i don't think so. tell me why all the best shops are out here. :)

LX-incredible
08-04-2007, 09:31 PM
No good to mod 'em if you can't drive 'em.:Owned:

snoopyloopy
08-04-2007, 09:32 PM
No good to mod 'em if you can't drive 'em.:Owned:
we can drive them. just don't get pulled over racing or with "stolen" parts.

LX-incredible
08-04-2007, 09:47 PM
we can drive them. just don't get pulled over racing or with "stolen" parts. "Stolen" being from other vehicles? Personally I would rather have a B18 manifold than the restrictive stocker. There's plenty of other things as well...

snoopyloopy
08-04-2007, 09:52 PM
"Stolen" being from other vehicles? Personally I would rather have a B18 manifold than the restrictive stocker. There's plenty of other things as well...
yeah, and with no serial #. but like i surmised before in the thread about the crushings, lack of a serial # doesn't necessarily mean it's stolen. sure, stolen parts might not have serial #, but so do legit parts. so lack of a serial # definitely doesn't prove it's stolen.

stat1K
08-04-2007, 10:34 PM
how much did they charge to do your exhaust? i need to get mine done and if it's cheaper there i might just make the trek. i'm in mesa so it's a little far but if it's cheaper by a substantial amount i'll take the journey. oh and angus you got anything goin with my baby yet? lol.

MessyHonda
08-05-2007, 12:56 AM
"Stolen" being from other vehicles? Personally I would rather have a B18 manifold than the restrictive stocker. There's plenty of other things as well...

im looking into the b18 mani so it could clear my sturt bar. im just going to start moding after i pass smog if not ....time to pay around.

LX-incredible
08-05-2007, 02:33 AM
how much did they charge to do your exhaust? i need to get mine done and if it's cheaper there i might just make the trek. i'm in mesa so it's a little far but if it's cheaper by a substantial amount i'll take the journey. oh and angus you got anything goin with my baby yet? lol.
I'm still collecting parts, got a lot of nice stuff though. Still need the machine work, pistons, cam, clutch and flywheel. I have all the parts to rebuild the tranny and for the SE-i spindles, all I need is a caliper and the prop valve. I have a full poly bushing set and GC coilovers. Still trying to decide what to go with for the shocks, will probably end up having the Bilsteins revalved. I have the ECU connectors to make a conversion harness for OBD I, but still need to find a 90-93 accord dizzy, and figure out which ECU to go with. I also have ceramic Pacesetter headers that I welded a flex joint on and thoroughly cleaned up all of their shoddy work inside. High flow cat, resonator, and 2.5" stainless tubing and bends. I need to choose a muffler and weld it all up after i get a tank, regulator, and gas for the welder. There are other things as well, but most of it is there, it's just putting it all together. I'll tell you it's the little things that really add up when frankensteining a motor, I had to buy four throttle cables and brackets before I found a combo that would work with the B18 manifold. Then there are the sensors, bolts, studs, grommets, etc. Most of the stock stuff won't bolt up, I probably spent more on the stuff that bolts to the manifold than the manifold itself.

89hondaSOHC
08-05-2007, 08:24 AM

The total was 167.34, But i brought them the cat and muffler. Its alot more if your buy the cat and muffler from them. I also drove to the shop open header so they didnt have to rip off the old stuff.

stat1K
08-05-2007, 10:05 AM
that's not bad at all. but the place i go to down here is friends with my buddy and they did his setup (he also had the cat and muffler) for 90 bucks. 2 1/2" pipe on his EJ which is a lot longer than my rex so i'm probably still gonna go there. unless i can make a drive to tucson and angus can do it for me :) haha good progress dude you'll have to start a thread about it if you haven't already.