PDA

View Full Version : '88 CarbAuto ->Drop Tranny into a 87 Fuel Inj 5 spd

synikil
07-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Hello all,

I have a Carb'd Auto Tranny `88 Accord LX that has a good transmission but the Head Gasket is blown and I fear the head is cracked as well. I have recently come into contact with a garage kept 5-spd Fuel Inj. '87 Accord with a bad tranny. This thing looks nice. I would like to put take the tranny from the `88 Accord and put it in the '87 accord because it's got the nice body with the fuel injection.

My question is what sort of feats would I be looking at overcoming if I were to do this.

I think I saw a form where you convert an auto tranny into a 5 spd. Should I try that.

Or if I kept it auto and put it into this car would I need a new computer and other possible sensors for the motor to work right with it.

Please advise.

Thank You

2oodoor
07-31-2007, 09:53 AM
I would make sure the 5 speed is indeed broken, it could be just the clutch cylinder is empty, or cable out of adjustment whichever system it uses. It does not sound right the rest of the car is in such great cond and the tranny is broke.
On the (one) of your other options, replacing a head and gasket is a lot easier than swapping tranmissions. You would (hey a new option) be better off swapping the whole engine and tranny and fixing the head for the better body car.

synikil
07-31-2007, 10:15 AM
The person who drove the cars husband completly removed the transmission and was trying to get a replacement used one but never got the job done. They said that 5th gear went out first and they drove it until the whole transmission quit working. Your right.. I should take it to a shop and have it analyized.

The reason I only wan't to swap the transmission is because the car with the nice body is fuel injected and I want to get away from carb. I think that would be more work trying to convert either car to/from carb or fuel injection.

Also, the engine on the car with the cracked head has many signs of being the product of years of "back yard engineering".

The Fuel Injected car w/bad tranny looks to be all orginal and in tact.

2oodoor
07-31-2007, 10:51 AM
yes, well that sounds about right then, losing 5th gear and then kaput..
I think you may be happier with the five speed.
But to answer your original concern, you can put the auto right in the 87, no computer hassles. There are some differences with vehicle speed sensor, and idle managment, most all of it is engine controls. There are no computer controls on the transmissions though.
If you browse about here on the opposite topic of this swap, you should be able to get a clearer understanding of what realy is involved. My guess is it would be a lot harder to do the auto to manual than visa versa.http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102
Clutch cable and pedal can all be taken out or cut out. You will need to have a tranny cooler, or use your hardware lines and radiator from the donor car. Also you will have to use the transmission throttle cable , gas pedal and hardware from the donor car.

knarg
07-31-2007, 10:56 AM
swap in another 5speed instead of the auto with the FI engine

synikil
07-31-2007, 11:26 AM
My guess is it would be a lot harder to do the auto to manual than visa versa.http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102

Yeah after reading that I don't think that would go real smooth.

Clutch cable and pedal can all be taken out or cut out. You will need to have a tranny cooler, or use your hardware lines and radiator from the donor car. Also you will have to use the transmission throttle cable , gas pedal and hardware from the donor car.

Plus after reading that other forum it looks like I would need to resurface/swap fly wheel as well?

swap in another 5speed instead of the auto with the FI engine

I would if I had one. I trying to work with what I have.

russiankid
07-31-2007, 12:13 PM
I speak for myself and maybe others, check the car out and if it's good find a 5-speed gear box. You won't regret buying a new clutch, flywheel and release bearing. You will have less problems down the road and you will have more options if you ever decide to get more power out of the A20.

2oodoor
07-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Hey keep in mind the thread linked is how to swap from auto to 5 speed, not what you are trying to do which is opposite. A lot of things in the thread you will not need to worry with. I say this because you asked about resurfacing the flywheel which you wont need to do because you are talking about installing an automatic which will use a plate for your starter and a torque converter.
Yes in as for performance you are PROBABLY:) better with a 5 speed, but if you are trying to put together a car with what you say you have, then yes if it were me and I didnt want to spend money on it I would just take the auto out and snap it in the cleaner car with Fuel injection.
I would prefer an auto from an 89 3rd gen, though, I dont see much on this forum about it but transmission shops say the 89 is a much more durable unit.

synikil
08-03-2007, 07:10 AM
Hey keep in mind the thread linked is how to swap from auto to 5 speed

I was wondering.. Thanks for clearing that up.

I have a 1986 5 Speed that i am driving now. The previous owner told me that shortly before they parked it that they put a new clutch in it. I thought about using that transmission but I hate to take apart a running car.

I think i'll take roodoo's advise and just put the auto in it for now and drive it and then I'll have two running honda's with a third for parts and I can build one for speed later when I get the money.

I'll keep you guys Posted on my progress. Probally will have some more technical questions along the way. I see roodoo lives in GA i need to get you to come help me :cheers:

Thanks

2oodoor
08-03-2007, 09:03 AM
:wave: thats cool
Is there still a big vw bug shop in Carrollton? you are about 3.5 to 4 hour drive..

synikil
08-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Is there still a big vw bug shop in Carrollton?

Yes there is. One of my friends helping me work on my Honda's was telling me about it because he needed a VIN plate for his VW dune buggy. It supposed to be pretty big he said.

That sux your 4 hours away. But if you ever in ATL let me know.

rustlude87
08-09-2007, 08:26 PM
If you just need the gear box I can send you some gears PM if your interested they should all work fine :)

But just stick with the 5 speed the auto just sucks, they why I'm converting

LX-incredible
08-09-2007, 09:43 PM
I would prefer an auto from an 89 3rd gen, though, I dont see much on this forum about it but transmission shops say the 89 is a much more durable unit. Interesting, I wonder why?

ghettogeddy
08-09-2007, 10:14 PM
if it were me id go to a jy and try to find a 3g 5speed that was say hit in the rear or side and snag the tranny out of it it only really takes about 30min to drop a tranny i should know ive done it twice now lol and im bout to do it a 3rd when i pull my motor for my swap

Civic Accord Honda
08-09-2007, 10:57 PM
get a 2nd gen prelude transmssion you well be planty happy ( i know i want one lol)

knarg
08-09-2007, 11:09 PM
wrong thread x_x

synikil
08-10-2007, 05:23 AM
If you just need the gear box I can send you some gears PM if your interested they should all work fine

But just stick with the 5 speed the auto just sucks, they why I'm converting

I havn't taken the transmission apart yet. I just towed the car to my house last weekend. After reviewing the Honda Manual and the 3rd party Honda Repair manual-they don't look like they are that hard to work on?

Has anyone taken these apart and put back together again? If so how hard was it to do yourself? :bow:

If this isn't rocket science hard then i'm interested.

synikil
08-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Interesting, I wonder why?
I don't know but after working for a tier 1 parts supplier for Honda I saw them constantly working to improve their products. It's no wonder their cars run so long. It was like little Japan in that place.
:rice:

synikil
08-10-2007, 07:45 AM
get a 2nd gen prelude transmssion you well be planty happy ( i know i want one lol)

Will a 2nd Gen fit in with a 3g body and motor?

2oodoor
08-10-2007, 07:50 AM
2nd GEn Prelude is about the same family of car as a 3rd gen Accord, as long as it comes with the A20 engine.

synikil
08-10-2007, 08:34 AM
2nd GEn Prelude is about the same family of car as a 3rd gen Accord, as long as it comes with the A20 engine.

Is it still called the A20 in the prelude or would it be like the B20? Just curious..

Man.. I'm pumped.. Ready to go home and start taking apart some cars now that I got all three of three of them at my house. Since I'm going to part one out I may have some parts if anyone is looking for anything in particular.

2oodoor
08-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Is it still called the A20 in the prelude or would it be like the B20? Just curious..
Man.. I'm pumped.. Ready to go home and start taking apart some cars now that I got all three of three of them at my house. Since I'm going to part one out I may have some parts if anyone is looking for anything in particular.
what you have air conditioned shop to work in?? lol:devil:
The Prelude could have either one, so what I am saying is the SOHC Prelude is A20 that you can interchange some parts with , but the DOHC is B20 and nothing much will swap.
A20 and B20 two completley different engines, and B20 Prelude & B20 Accord are two completley different engines. There are letter suffixs to all of these Honda engines that depict somethings are different like A20A1 and A20A3 are different one is carbed one is fuel inj.. for example