PDA

View Full Version : auto shifting at 4K

AccordB20A
07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
ok im useless when it comes to autos but when starting out from a standstill and plant my foot right to the floor in D4 it likes changing at 4000rpm not 6200 where it usually changes. and when im doing 100km/h the revs are at 4 even when my foots not hardly on the throttle.. it should drop into its high gear and the revs should sit around 3000rpm crusing at 100km/h.. any ideas.. im thinking the kickdown cable are you?? theres also two solenoids on the top of the auto box that arent hooked to anything what do they do

any help would be appriciated as its gay not being able to rev it out

Civic Accord Honda
08-01-2007, 01:23 AM
the problem is a easy fix

GET A 5speed or :bandance: lol

AccordB20A
08-01-2007, 01:46 AM
hm yeah how about a nice big cup of SHUT THE FUCK UP

lol buy me a 5 speed then if u think they r so popular

i jst wanna fix the damn sack of shit and get rid of it before i end up smashing it in with my hammer

2oodoor
08-01-2007, 03:19 AM
hm yeah how about a nice big cup of SHUT THE FUCK UP
lol buy me a 5 speed then if u think they r so popular
i jst wanna fix the damn sack of shit and get rid of it before i end up smashing it in with my hammer
amen to that, some of our inert ingredients floating to the top there....
What year HondA, if it is a 3rd gen the solenoids are not for the transmission, 4th gen yes they probably are.
Definate sounds like Throttle valve cable or lever spring. If the problem just suddenly came up the cable is probably hanging up somewhere, but if you havent tuned up in a long time or either just finished doing some tuning, the cable adjustment would need a little tweeking.
It is all about throttle position in relation to shift points, the transmisssion uses the cable as a "rerference" to how far open the throttle is. This means the cable is NOT just for kick down to passing gear, it also keeps the transmission in the right gear at the right engine output. Ever try to start a five speed off in fourth from a dead stop??? that is similar to what you are doing now and it is hard on the tranny.

MessyHonda
08-01-2007, 09:59 AM
adjust the cable?

2ndGenGuy
08-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Throttle value cable. If it's all screwed up, it will think you're only pushing the gas to 75% throttle. Try adjusting it if there is any adjustment, or replace it. I think on the 3geez it goes from the carb / throttle body down to the tranny. On the 2geez, it goes from the pedal to the tranny. So it's in one of those 2 locations.

Edit: oh roodoo already said it... so yeah I guess never mind...

AccordB20A
08-01-2007, 01:16 PM
haha yeah well the car was manual now its auto, i dont know how to set the kickdown cable.. i just put it on logically how i thought it wd go, eg when my foots right down on the gas the kickdown cable pulls the thing on the gearbox right open, therefor when accellerating the gearbox knows my foots right down and so does the engine... but maybe i am wrong.
i looked for a howto on this site for adjusting the cable but i cant find any. the gearbox came off a b18a dual carb engine and is now on a b20a ( same thing)

those two solenoids are on the top of the gearbox close to its bellhousing. and ive seen that the early transmitions do not have the solnoids only the 88-89 auto boxes do whats up with that and what do they do

MessyHonda
08-01-2007, 05:20 PM
so you resorted to switching it to auto......man that blows.

snoopyloopy
08-01-2007, 06:14 PM
it's probably the cable. if your setup is anything like my old one, just follow the cable from the tb down to the tranny. you should be able to figure out how to adjust it. just loosen & retighten the screws. you may have to do it a few times, though.

AccordB20A
08-01-2007, 06:39 PM
i was afriad of that, it should just work.. ill have to have a play

and no im not converting my car to auto this is my other car that i got half of my manual conversion from

2oodoor
08-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Ok I am not absolutley certain about your 88-89 JDM or B series autobox, it may indeed use solenoids, but it really sounds more like TV cable problem, If shift solenoids do not work right it completey is missing gears and your D4 light will flash .
You have to make sure the cable does not bind and returns to the same spot, lube it up good it is pretty sensative adjustment... two or three threads on the turnbuckle adjustment makes a huge change.
Are the solenoids mounted to the tranny or the fender? there are solenoids for the black box fuel controls on down low on the fender above the tranny.

AccordB20A
08-08-2007, 09:04 PM
ok in reply to that. i still havent not solved the problem. i have flushed the gearbox and it has new atf in it and it drives. however it still changes at 4000rpm no matter where the TV cable is set and when you drive off slowly without flooring it.. it changes into 2nd then almost feels like it smoothely changes back to 1st..even tho your grandmaring it it kinda kicks down. ive tried multiple settings on the kickdown cable but it still does it. howevr, when i remove the kickdown cable off the throttlebody of my b20a and drive... i floor it it revs to around 6500rpm and changes.. like it should normally. it also sounds like it misses 1st gear and goes straight into 2nd when you stoip and go again and it doesnt kick down (as you would expect). now those 2 solenoids that are mounted on the gearbox casing, they have one wire going to each, i have no idea what they do and what they do when they have power... and i also dont know what controls them. just so you know the car is a 1987 honda accord 2.0si b20a (was manual) with a 1989 carbed b18a auto gearbox on it.. i swapped the TV cable to the one off an efi box. i really wanna solve this problem so i can sell the damn car

2oodoor
08-09-2007, 03:50 AM
I would say you are going to need the cable assy that goes to the gas pedal, not the throttle body. They made two different setups. This adjustment is pretty hard to get just right sometimes, but you will break the tranny driving like you just said it was doing.
You may be able to get it with the one you have but you need have somebody move the throttle so you can see the cable move the lever at the transmission. Still sounds like cable problem, by your description. The cable is a guide for the transmission to know how much throttle you have open in a mattter of speaking. You want the lever to move just after your throttle moves, if you see the thread there is a anitmated diagram of how it works.http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885
The solenoids, I am not sure about, If they are not working right your D4 light will flash and you wont shift right...on a 4th, 5th gen accord. I dont think since you have a cable they have anything to do with the tranny really.

AccordB20A
08-09-2007, 12:46 PM
i was thinking last night when i was supposed to be sleeping, the arm thats connected to the gearbox, cd it be shorter than the arm for an efi engine, cause i when its ajusted the only way i cd get it to have 2mm of play when the throttle was right down there was like 10mm play at the other end when my foot isnt on the throttle, so i think that levers too short making it out of sync.

AccordB20A
08-09-2007, 03:42 PM
ok i swapped the TV cables thing on the end and its actually adjusted correctly and i have a feeling it wants to change higher now which is good... also on the engine wiring loom ifound a plug that goes to those 2 solenoids, and to make it even better one of those wires makes the solenoid click when i plug it inso maybe the cars manual wiring loom does have that bit to work the solenoids. but if i remember right under the drivers seat on the auto car there shd be an automatic gearbox solenoid control box which i dont have, so im guessing the solenoids will do nothing without that damn box. oh well wish me luck when i test it (car has no fuel so i cant test it)

AccordB20A
08-09-2007, 04:43 PM
well i just road tested it, gears change at 6300 - 6500 rpm :D kicks down all good and stuff but one problem remaining is after it chanbges from 1st to 2nd it will change again into maybe 3rd but it slips lots into 2rd

2oodoor
08-10-2007, 04:17 AM
Yea, there is a fine tune adjustment there you need... I kinda got schooled on these things with my weber carb, and fabricated linkage. You have so split the difference so to speak, the WOT adjustment in the how to thread doesnt work for me, but watching when the lever starts to move in sync with the throttle does.
It is possible you damged the tranny with it out of adjustment. hope not.
Try lubing up the cable real good so that it returns to home position exactley evey time...make sure it is routed correctley. Then move the adjustment two threads at a time trying it each time until you get desired results. Even on mine it can vary sometimes depending on temp, the cable seems to expand some above like 86 degrees, I know that sounds wierd.
You are better off getting it to shift normally under normal peoples driving habits if you are going to try to sell it, and it should go into "fifth" overdrive gear and stay in it at highway speeds, but only after being in "fourth" a few seconds.

AccordB20A
08-10-2007, 01:23 PM
yeah thanks dude im glad someone knows lots about auto gearboxes. your a champion. its all good now changes gears when it shd without excessive slipping alltho it had a good shudder between 2nd and 3rd but who cares about that these old b20a boxes are the worcest auto boxs made, sooner i sell it the better :D :D :D :D :D