PDA

View Full Version : 89 accord carb problem at freeway speed?

timber_cruiser
08-02-2007, 05:11 PM
I have a 89 accord. It has been a very good driver but recently started driving with a surge, loss of power as if a fuel jet is plugged at freeway speed. It accelerates just fine, and there is no miss in the ignition.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I was going to look into rebuilding the carb. I have recently redone the plugs, wire, rotor & cap. I do not see or hear a vacuum leak, although that has crossed my mind as a potential problem. This engine has lots of vacuum hoses!

Is rebuilding the carb an easy thing to do?

Any advice or suggestions woild be appreciated!

sb_hbackDX
08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Check your fuel filters, both of them...I had the same problem with my old carby. Oh yea and as far as rebuilding that stock carb, its not bad if you have rebuilt carbs before(the vacuum crap is the tough part...make sure to label EVERY hose , if not :wtf: no start)but if your new to rebuilding just don't be afraid to take the carb apart and get a rebuild book:) ...Hell why don't you just slap a Weber 32/36 on there and if anything you would get better gas mileage and performance...This is only if your state doesn't preform emission tests on the 3geez...:cheers:

synikil
08-03-2007, 10:56 AM
I had same problem as well..

I took the wimpy fuel filter in the back and got the biggest one I could find at auto zone and replaced it. It still was happening so I took the fuel pump out and replaced the sock on the end of it and now it does much better.

g.frost
08-03-2007, 05:11 PM
A suggestion from one who does not like to work on cars: Get a bottle of Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner and put it in a full tank of gas. Do some spirited driving in the course of that tank of gas. This stuff has worked amazing on my '88 carb (knock on wood my carb has never been apart...)
It has run so well after cleaning with it that I use a maintenance dose in every tank. About 4 years since I have had those intermittant idle and acceleration problems. It's worth a try before you dive into a carb rebuild.

timber_cruiser
08-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Ok, so I think I solved the problem. I used SeaFoam to clean out the carb without removing it.

I disconnected and plugged the fuel line. Ran the engine to empty the carb, then filled the carb through the fuel intake with SeaFoam. I splashed some down the venturis.

I let this sit for about 45 minutes, then reconnected the fuel and ran the engine till the smoke cleared.

It runs great and does not stumble or surge at freeway speed!

MessyHonda
08-27-2007, 08:52 AM
woot seafoam for the win. you can also put some in the gas tank so it runs thru your fuel system.