PDA

View Full Version : no pickup in my car

wasgivenanaccord
08-04-2007, 12:31 PM
hi everyone
i don't know if i am imagning the problem or it really exists... when i am at a stop light and stomp on the gas my car makes a lot of noise, revs up to over 4000 rpm but has absolutely no take-off... the road home from work is a "highway" with an 80kmh limit and my car is struggling to get to that in a nice easy go. it will eventually get there, but i am likely in 3rd gear by the time that has happened. my last car was a Z24 with a 3-speed auto, and would spin its tires if i ever attempted to stomp on it this hard - and that was an old car (ok, it's the same age as the accord - 89 model). Am I doing something wrong? is there some way to fix this? I've driven a Prelude of the same vintage and the old Integras and feel the same way about them too... Tks in advance
shawn

Vanilla Sky
08-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Check your timing. I'm pretty sure it's off. While you're at it, replace your sparkplugs and wires if you're so inclined. Go one heat range colder and bump your timing a bit higher.

You also need to remember that you car is geared to be more civil than the z24. Don't expect chirping tires at 80 kmh with the fairly tall gearing we have.

2oodoor
08-05-2007, 11:49 AM
automatic?
trans throttle valve cable froze or broke
VanillaSky sounds about right too,chek fuel filter & pressure too
how much xtra weight in back?
these carz never feel that slow if everthing is rite

Vanilla Sky
08-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Yeah, even my LX auto with a bad trans can push you back into the seat when it downshifts. No chirping tires, but you really can feel it. 100% stock other than the pacesetter exhaust.

wasgivenanaccord
08-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the advice... I had changed the spark-plugs recently - NGK V-power I think. Are those ok, or should i go with something else? The timing - I will check / fix tomorrow at work...

What's the cable that you reckon is stuck, roodoo? There's no weight in the back apart from what's stock...

blh1983
08-06-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm running NGK V-Power's and they work much better than the Denso's. That's not your problem.
Thanks for the advice... I had changed the spark-plugs recently - NGK V-power I think. Are those ok, or should i go with something else? The timing - I will check / fix tomorrow at work...
What's the cable that you reckon is stuck, roodoo? There's no weight in the back apart from what's stock...

A20A1
08-08-2007, 02:05 PM

you don't have to replace them but do consider adjusting the spark plug gap just as a fix for a different issue.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60398

twofast4u
08-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Is your car EFI or carbed? Also it wouldnt be the tranny would it?

wasgivenanaccord
08-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Sorry for the delayed post - had to fly out to Halifax...

the car is an EFi... does it make a difference? I have cleaned the TB last week...

A20A1
08-08-2007, 06:01 PM
It does because EFI might throw a code and it can help in diagnosis.

twofast4u
08-08-2007, 07:47 PM
yea you could check the LED on the computer under the drivers seat when you turn on the ignition..Could take a look at it if we ever do a toronto meet lol...i want to do one but no time!!

wasgivenanaccord
08-10-2007, 07:22 PM
would love to do a toronto meet - do tell if something is happening... i'm up for anything once i come back

twofast4u
08-10-2007, 08:51 PM
yea i will try to organize something but i truly have no time to plan...ill pm you