PDA

View Full Version : Newbie From Michigan

hanginbyaccord
08-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Hey guys,

I don't know if this is the right place to post a introduction or not? My name is Jay and I am from Twin Lake,MI . I just purchased my first Honda, a 89 4dr. Honda Accord LXI 5 speed. I run a small performance shop here called Tru Power Motorsports. I have worked on plenty Honda's but never owned one until now. I picked the car up for $500 it was a complete mess and stunk badly. the paint is sun faded in areas , alittle rust, needs axles in front but runs like a top for 226K, I couldnt pass it up, everything works. I am getting ready to start the body work, primer and paint it ( I am painting it a rare Mazda color, it was only offered on the 93 MX3 GS Special edition, it is called Raspberry Metallic).

I have a few questions though:

#1: Who makes a CF hood?
#2: Whats the easiest motor swap to complete? I was thinking b20a but I can only find the motor & trans, what ecu code do I need, do I need any special motor mounts? what about the wiring harness where can I find one of them? is the a20 able to make power? if so where can I find one.
#3: who makes lips for these ? what lips fit ? Will a 90-93 Accord JDM CB7 Front Bumper fit ?
#4: will 86-89 Integra front seats fit ? what other backseats fit ?
#5: What are some good sites to find performance stuff? JDM Parts? Euro ? I want to know where I can find them!

I am sure I will have more questions but I hope to gain as much knowledge on the 3rd gen as possible. Thanks in advance guys! - Jay

MessyHonda
08-05-2007, 10:46 AM
well since you are new il give you a few pointers

1. on ebay they have Cfs hoods ranging from 300 bucks to 450 bucks.
2. for mounts place racing made mounts but they are discontinued they are b-series mounts. most people that really want to go b-series just build their own mounts and harness. you will also need shift linkage and axels.
the a20 is a prety strong engine if you rebuild one for turbo you can make 250whp. or if you stay NA you can make 165whp like a member already did. most of it will need to be custom parts.
3.the most popular lip is the 89 integra lip...check out my pictures so you can see it. makes the front end look 1 inch lower to the ground.
4.the only seats that i know swap in are the 3rd gen prelude seats....i have a set myself and they are nice as they support you better. the 2nd gen integra backrest fit and they look more sporty.
5.this is one of the best sites to find parts for your car besides ebay or craigslist.

:welcome: to the site and remember to search next time.

2drSE-i
08-05-2007, 11:09 AM
those front integra seats will work...dont know about the back seats. The B20 (from the JDM accord ONLY) will swap in without mounts, but good luck locating one. This is pretty much the only 3g site around. Good luck man!

hanginbyaccord
08-05-2007, 12:33 PM
thanks guys! I hope to gain as much information as possible here. I found a JDM A20A that I am going to swap in and do some work to. I really anint looking for massive power just something to toy around with, I want something that has some go and show you know. I found the intergra front and rear seats for a good deal at a junkyard. I am going to pick them up tommorrow.

MessyHonda
08-05-2007, 12:59 PM
thanks guys! I hope to gain as much information as possible here. I found a JDM A20A that I am going to swap in and do some work to. I really anint looking for massive power just something to toy around with, I want something that has some go and show you know. I found the intergra front and rear seats for a good deal at a junkyard. I am going to pick them up tommorrow.

that engine is still rated at the same Horsepower as the US engines they just don't have EGR or O2 sensors they only make like 2 more hp...but if you live in a state where you have emissions. you will have to hook em up.

hanginbyaccord
08-05-2007, 01:13 PM
ok thanks

Legend_master
08-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Just Turbo the A20, you will like it. There are a lot of suspension and brake upgrades available for this car. Check out the link in my sig, also one more thing. Try using the search function, there is a wealth of knowledge on all the questions you asked in this thread.

hanginbyaccord
08-05-2007, 03:04 PM
thanks!

2drSE-i
08-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Do you deal with any small time manufacturers? any willing to maybe put some parts together for us? i can think of a good dozen things that id like made :-D

hanginbyaccord
08-06-2007, 05:44 AM
depends , what type of parts?

2drSE-i
08-06-2007, 08:22 AM
pulleys, intake manifolds, suspension bushings, suspension bars (sway bars, strut bars, tie bars, etc), brake parts, headers. Ive got a big ass list of things lol...

MessyHonda
08-06-2007, 10:47 AM
how about some bored out TBs?

Legend_master
08-06-2007, 10:56 AM
how about some bored out TBs?

www.maxbore.com here you go.

MessyHonda
08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
www.maxbore.com here you go.

ok thanks but i would need to get it matched to my intake mani right?

Legend_master
08-06-2007, 11:18 AM
ok thanks but i would need to get it matched to my intake mani right?

If you send in and Intake manifold and TB he will bore, polish, and match it for you. You could go the b16 rout and buy an actual performance TB aswell.

MessyHonda
08-06-2007, 11:23 AM
If you send in and Intake manifold and TB he will bore, polish, and match it for you. You could go the b16 rout and buy an actual performance TB aswell.

yeah right now my only option is the b18 mani since its the only one that will clear my dc sturt bar. but it does not have long runners like the b16 one so im not sure what to do now

bobafett
08-06-2007, 11:26 AM
yeah +1

a b16 intake manifold and a big tb. total cost around 400. and you can get a much better designed manifold, and choose the type you want based on the requirements of your setup.

many aftermarket b series manifolds have 65mm openening, but its easy enough to get that bored out to 68-70mm depending on the throttle body you end up with. :)

MessyHonda
08-06-2007, 12:54 PM
yeah +1

a b16 intake manifold and a big tb. total cost around 400. and you can get a much better designed manifold, and choose the type you want based on the requirements of your setup.

many aftermarket b series manifolds have 65mm openening, but its easy enough to get that bored out to 68-70mm depending on the throttle body you end up with. :)

hey chris im looking at this one for the b18...its only 200 bucks new and its aftermarket.

http://www.bloxracing.com/prod_intake.asp

Legend_master
08-06-2007, 01:31 PM
hey chris im looking at this one for the b18...its only 200 bucks new and its aftermarket.

It looks like a skunk 2 knock off, you might try checking out the AEBS aswell. I believe they made more power then the Blox.

hanginbyaccord
08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
pulleys, intake manifolds, suspension bushings, suspension bars (sway bars, strut bars, tie bars, etc), brake parts, headers. Ive got a big ass list of things lol...

ok lets see...

as for pulleys let me talk to my good friends at unorthdox or aem and see what I can do.

intake manifolds, I will talk to Skunk2 , any other certain companies of interest?

suspension bushings I will talk to whiteline automotive and energy suspension

suspension bars (sway bars, strut bars, tie bars, etc) - any certain companies?

what type of brake parts?

headers - I got a contact over at invidia and at dc sports, I will see what happens, maybe dc will bring it back and maybe not. if so it will probally be a group buy or something.

if we bond together we can make anything we want happen, it may takes months and going from big names to small names but if we work together we can make anything happen, Ive done it before for the 3rd gen prelude. and being a shop helps because it shows the company that I have actual customers wanting these not just me.

help me out here guys! and we can make this happen!

Legend_master
08-06-2007, 06:43 PM
ok lets see...
as for pulleys let me talk to my good friends at unorthdox or aem and see what I can do.
intake manifolds, I will talk to Skunk2 , any other certain companies of interest?
suspension bushings I will talk to whiteline automotive and energy suspension
suspension bars (sway bars, strut bars, tie bars, etc) - any certain companies?
what type of brake parts?
headers - I got a contact over at invidia and at dc sports, I will see what happens, maybe dc will bring it back and maybe not. if so it will probally be a group buy or something.
if we bond together we can make anything we want happen, it may takes months and going from big names to small names but if we work together we can make anything happen, Ive done it before for the 3rd gen prelude. and being a shop helps because it shows the company that I have actual customers wanting these not just me.
help me out here guys! and we can make this happen!

They actaully make poly bushings for our cars by prothane, suspension Techniques make sway bars, Pacesetter makes a decent header, and you can modify a b-series manifold to work on the A20. It would be cool to get underdrive pulleys, but I dont think they are really worth it. What we need are some parts like performance valve springs, valves, retainers, and cheaper High/low compression pistons.

hanginbyaccord
08-06-2007, 06:49 PM
well how about lets all put together a list of things, I will make a new thread and I am talking realistic things here and we will pick what brands we would like to see these products made from and go from there.

bobafett
08-06-2007, 07:29 PM

a good choice. you will want this one: BXIM-20100

the b16a2 / b18c5 supposedly fit easier than the b18a/c1 manifolds. i can't verify the difficulty of the b18a/c1 but the b16a2 manifold that i bought (racing version with no water ports) was a pretty straightforward modification to get it to fit. :)

Legend_master
08-06-2007, 07:33 PM
a good choice. you will want this one: BXIM-20100
the b16a2 / b18c5 supposedly fit easier than the b18a/c1 manifolds. i can't verify the difficulty of the b18a/c1 but the b16a2 manifold that i bought (racing version with no water ports) was a pretty straightforward modification to get it to fit. :)

If you are speaking of bolt pattern.
All b16's are the same, as well as the b18c5(type R integra Manifold)
The b18c1 (GSR manifold) is different then all other b series.
The b18a/b and the b20a/z are identical.

MessyHonda
08-06-2007, 07:36 PM
so witch one do i get? i get some type of discount if i buy a blox intake....they are a good company. kinda of a skunk2 rip off but it will be better than the stock one tho. and it says its light weight.

bobafett
08-06-2007, 07:43 PM
well how about lets all put together a list of things, I will make a new thread and I am talking realistic things here and we will pick what brands we would like to see these products made from and go from there.
my pick for parts:

off the shelf turbo manifolds (instead of everyone having to build their own or pay $xxxx for one)
titanium valve springs/locks/retainers (we have very limited valvetrain selection)
intake manifolds drilled to fit our heads? (not a big deal)
single belt underdriven crank pulley (who needs AC and PS)
off the shelf 2.25", 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems (paceshitter sucks, we need diameter)
lexan rear hatch/rear triangle windows (longshot, but hey)
find a bolt on obd1 dizzy (to make the obd1 swap easier)
true LSD, upgraded tranny internals? (dunno if we need the internals, but lsd could be great)
FULL BODIED COILOVERS THAT FIT! + CAMBER PLATES + ADJUSTABLE LOWER PERCH
all in one suspension bushing kit (yes i know you can get most of them separate, but i would love an all in one kit - complete front, complete rear, complete front and rear set)
double and triple gauge pillar pod

If I think of more I will post up. But i think the primary interest would be coilovers and bushings, and lsd, and crank pulley lol.

bobafett
08-06-2007, 07:45 PM
messy:

you will want this one: BXIM-20100
for b16a2 and b18c5

thanks for the clarification legend master. :)

hanginbyaccord
08-06-2007, 08:21 PM
my pick for parts:

off the shelf turbo manifolds (instead of everyone having to build their own or pay $xxxx for one)
titanium valve springs/locks/retainers (we have very limited valvetrain selection)
intake manifolds drilled to fit our heads? (not a big deal)
single belt underdriven crank pulley (who needs AC and PS)
off the shelf 2.25", 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems (paceshitter sucks, we need diameter)
lexan rear hatch/rear triangle windows (longshot, but hey)
find a bolt on obd1 dizzy (to make the obd1 swap easier)
true LSD, upgraded tranny internals? (dunno if we need the internals, but lsd could be great)
FULL BODIED COILOVERS THAT FIT! + CAMBER PLATES + ADJUSTABLE LOWER PERCH
all in one suspension bushing kit (yes i know you can get most of them separate, but i would love an all in one kit - complete front, complete rear, complete front and rear set)
double and triple gauge pillar pod

If I think of more I will post up. But i think the primary interest would be coilovers and bushings, and lsd, and crank pulley lol.

I will see what I can do on all this but its going to take some time and effort. I dont want to start getting stuff made and then no one buy it. I can get a LSD easily made but it will be about $1000 for one . I will need a stock one for mock up. quaife will hook me up if there is a interest.

bobafett
08-06-2007, 08:27 PM
A lot of this stuff I don't have any intentions of buying cause I either have it or am not going that path with the car, but I think would be beneficial to the serious 3geez modders out there.

Once I get my car going I will definintely need LSD, but I DONT know if I will stay with A20 tranny or if I will just do what Jason Budd did and convert to B16 cable tranny. :)
The ones I would personally like are coilovers, all in one bushings, lsd. crank pulley i can have custom machined and probably won't cost that much more than aftermarket. :)

Legend_master
08-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I will see what I can do on all this but its going to take some time and effort. I dont want to start getting stuff made and then no one buy it. I can get a LSD easily made but it will be about $1000 for one . I will need a stock one for mock up. quaife will hook me up if there is a interest.

There is not a stock LSD for this car :violin: .

Legend_master
08-06-2007, 08:29 PM
A lot of this stuff I don't have any intentions of buying cause I either have it or am not going that path with the car, but I think would be beneficial to the serious 3geez modders out there.

Once I get my car going I will definintely need LSD, but I DONT know if I will stay with A20 tranny or if I will just do what Jason Budd did and convert to B16 cable tranny. :)
The ones I would personally like are coilovers, all in one bushings, lsd. crank pulley i can have custom machined and probably won't cost that much more than aftermarket. :)

Not to jack the thread, but do you just not want to have to get a split up kit for the coilovers?

2drSE-i
08-06-2007, 11:30 PM
we are actually missing quite a bit of the poly bushings, sway bars arent a big deal, but tie bars would be nice to have. I would love to have a set of good looking strut bars (no offense justin, i love yours they just arent especially pretty :-D)

MessyHonda
08-07-2007, 05:10 AM
we are actually missing quite a bit of the poly bushings, sway bars arent a big deal, but tie bars would be nice to have. I would love to have a set of good looking strut bars (no offense justin, i love yours they just arent especially pretty :-D)

does a part have to be pretty in order to be functional? this is not a beauty queen contest. have you seen Pasos set...he got his powdercoated and they look nice

Legend_master
08-07-2007, 07:33 AM
does a part have to be pretty in order to be functional? this is not a beauty queen contest. have you seen Pasos set...he got his powdercoated and they look nice

Its all about function, but if you are trying to make it in a magazine or anything like that. Then yes it is a beauty contest :lol: .

MessyHonda
08-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Its all about function, but if you are trying to make it in a magazine or anything like that. Then yes it is a beauty contest :lol: .

so far only adam and you have been in a mag.

2drSE-i
08-07-2007, 08:49 AM
i didnt say they werent functional, im using my strut bars. i would just like to see some nice, manufactured adjustable ones that look good.

MessyHonda
08-07-2007, 10:53 AM
i didnt say they werent functional, im using my strut bars. i would just like to see some nice, manufactured adjustable ones that look good.

well an easy fix would be to get the civic ones. you just have to custom make the brackets so they fit on our shock towers. if i remember right twhonza has a civic one.