PDA

View Full Version : Gumout worth it?

DaveTheAve
08-05-2007, 01:15 PM
I've heard many different answers and supporting reasons to this question; however, none had my car with my mileage... yet.

Thus I'll ask people who do:

My 88' Honda LX-i, has 284k miles and was NEVER taken care-of. (Fuel-filter hasn't been changed for so long it's severely clogged) Thus I wish to know if running Gumout, High Mileage Complete Fuel System Cleaner would be a good idea for the car. If so how do I apply this cleaner (gas-tank or motor-oil) and for now long do I run it though the Honda?

Legend_master
08-05-2007, 01:22 PM
I've heard many different answers and supporting reasons to this question; however, none had my car with my mileage... yet.
Thus I'll ask people who do:
My 88' Honda LX-i, has 284k miles and was NEVER taken care-of. (Fuel-filter hasn't been changed for so long it's severely clogged) Thus I wish to know if running Gumout, High Mileage Complete Fuel System Cleaner would be a good idea for the car. If so how do I apply this cleaner (gas-tank or motor-oil) and for now long do I run it though the Honda?

I would be worried that the setiment in the bottem of the tank would get broken up and clog the system even worse.

russiankid
08-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I would be worried that the setiment in the bottem of the tank would get broken up and clog the system even worse.
I agree. I would take the fuel pump out and replace it as well, and check to see how clean the tank is. If it's dirty drain the tank and clean it out.

DaveTheAve
08-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Good thing you mentioned that, I was having the fuel-filter replaced this week while i'm away. I'll be sure to the fuel-tank checked too.

But that still leaves me with the gumout question.

BITESIZE
08-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Use seafoam.

Legend_master
08-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Good thing you mentioned that, I was having the fuel-filter replaced this week while i'm away. I'll be sure to the fuel-tank checked too.

But that still leaves me with the gumout question.

I beleive that was the answer to the Gumout question, it will break up the settiment in the tank and cause and even worse problem. If you clean out your tank, then I would say go for it. Also as bitesize said, try seafoam.

DaveTheAve
08-05-2007, 02:01 PM
<off-topic>
Bitesize, glad to see you, I sent you a PM a week ago and have yet to hear back from you. Willing to buy some LEDs.
</off-topic>

Also, sorry about that Legend_master, your right that was the answer; I only thought of it as a pre-caution.

Kevii
08-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Whoa is that the same with seafoam? O_O

Legend_master
08-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Whoa is that the same with seafoam? O_O

I would take that pre-caution, I have removed/cleaned a tank on one of these cars and I can tell you they are disgusting inside.

MessyHonda
08-05-2007, 11:12 PM
some tanks can get really nasty. sometimes its just better to buy a new one. and yeah i used seafoam and it does alright.

DaveTheAve
08-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Father said if I want the tank cleaned I'd have it to do it myself. I don't have a lift, all I have is a Jack and I can borrow some ramps from my father-in-law. Also I can not replace the gas pump (costs too much), so i need to keep it intact.

So given this information, how would you suggest I clean out the tank?

DaveTheAve
08-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Not to be a jerk or anything but I'm out of gas now and I'd like to know how to clean out the tank.

Legend_master
08-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Not to be a jerk or anything but I'm out of gas now and I'd like to know how to clean out the tank.

Drop it, spray some brake cleaner all over the inside of it, take it to a car wash, and use a high pressure water hose to make sure EVERYTHING is cleaned out of it.