PDA

View Full Version : angled-up rear speakers 90 degrees

88accordSF
08-06-2007, 07:16 PM
just finished throwing in a whole audio system: kenwood deck + alpine fronts + infinity rears

in the interest of getting CRYSTAL clarity from the rear speakers, I was thinking about makin up a quick box to install the rear speakers 90 degrees up, so that they would be facing forward, directly towards my head, from the rear window area

(yes, it would block some of the rear window, i'm cool with that)

in my experience working at recording studios, it was always optimal to have the speakers pointed directly at the listener, which is where i'm deriving this idea from

i'm thinking that the sound would be a lot more clear if it wasn't bouncing off the rear window before hitting my ears....

BITESIZE
08-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Your windows bounce the wavelength into the direction of your ears, that's good enough. And your ears are designed to capture sound coming from the frontal region. Just my two thoughts. I'm an analytical person.

MessyHonda
08-06-2007, 07:29 PM
my rear speakers over power my fronts anyways. did you finish dynomatting the front doors?

88accordSF
08-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Your windows bounce the wavelength into the direction of your ears, that's good enough.

it would seem to me that eliminating having the sound bounce off the glass would enhance the sound quality.

home theater DVD systems, professional audio setups, almost all point the speakers somewhat directly to the listener

i'm trying to get from "good" to "fuckin excellent" sound

(i'm a musician)

I'm an analytical person.

ya..... i'm always trying to figure out a better way, more optimal configuration to build stuff....

did you finish dynomatting the front doors?

did part of the trunk. still need to to the doors.

i've heard that there are better materials than Dynamat Extreme for the floor,,, trying to locate the best low-frequency-eliminator, in terms of audio characteristics, for the flooring. i might couple that with Dynamat for the floor, if need be

Civic Accord Honda
08-06-2007, 08:11 PM
sounds like a cool idea

MessyHonda
08-06-2007, 08:39 PM
it would seem to me that eliminating having the sound bounce off the glass would enhance the sound quality.
home theater DVD systems, professional audio setups, almost all point the speakers somewhat directly to the listener
i'm trying to get from "good" to "fuckin excellent" sound
(i'm a musician)
ya..... i'm always trying to figure out a better way, more optimal configuration to build stuff....
did part of the trunk. still need to to the doors.
i've heard that there are better materials than Dynamat Extreme for the floor,,, trying to locate the best low-frequency-eliminator, in terms of audio characteristics, for the flooring. i might couple that with Dynamat for the floor, if need be

yeah i just took off lots of stuff from my car.......im going to see if that guy in san carlos has some dynamat so i can do my front doors...il see if i can stop by so i could get some pointers from you.

2drSE-i
08-07-2007, 09:09 AM
sounds like a good idea, just make sure they're stationary and that you carpet them to match the rear deck. Nothing is tackier to me than those boxes that move all over the place when you turn.

ghettogeddy
08-07-2007, 09:33 AM
welel ur rear 6x9 are manly bass so its dosent matter were there pointed if u are trying for the killer sound then get some components and point the twweter towards u also the front are were the custum angel would be needed causer i tell u when im driving my leg blocks them most the time

MessyHonda
08-07-2007, 11:03 AM
welel ur rear 6x9 are manly bass so its dosent matter were there pointed if u are trying for the killer sound then get some components and point the twweter towards u also the front are were the custum angel would be needed causer i tell u when im driving my leg blocks them most the time

yeah our front doors where not built good for speakers. i like guaynabo89 set up. almost looks OEM.

evil88accordLX
08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
i too am a musician, been one for my whole life, and ive wondered the same thing as well. ive come to the conclusion that no matter what you do to the rear speakers, they wont be as bad ass sounding as you would like. ive concluded that rear speakers are doomed because of (1) the way the sound travels in the car, (2) your seat headrest, and (3) the natural shape of your ears. even if the sound bounces off the rear glass toward you, it will also bounce off the front glass straight into the dash. some of it will become absorbed by the rear of your seat and headrest (which also blocks sound from reaching your ears), and your ears themselves are designed to pick up sound the best from the front and sides. so i say get some good sounding speakers AND CRANK THAT SHIT UP!

Civic Accord Honda
08-16-2007, 09:45 PM
i too am a musician, been one for my whole life, and ive wondered the same thing as well. ive come to the conclusion that no matter what you do to the rear speakers, they wont be as bad ass sounding as you would like. ive concluded that rear speakers are doomed because of (1) the way the sound travels in the car, (2) your seat headrest, and (3) the natural shape of your ears. even if the sound bounces off the rear glass toward you, it will also bounce off the front glass straight into the dash. some of it will become absorbed by the rear of your seat and headrest (which also blocks sound from reaching your ears), and your ears themselves are designed to pick up sound the best from the front and sides. so i say get some good sounding speakers AND CRANK THAT SHIT UP!
:cheers: x2