PDA

View Full Version : how-to double-clutch

bushbean
08-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Please tell me if the following is the proper way to double-clutch.
So, I'm driving down the street and need to make a turn.
I slow down and put my foot down on the clutch and shift into
neutral. Then, I lift my foot off the clutch and start to put my
foot on the throttle. While holding down the throttle, I push
down on clutch and shift into 2nd gear.

Does double-clutching for up-shifting (e.g., 1-to-2, 2-to-3, etc)
help prolong the life of the transmission also?

2ndGenGuy
08-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should...

Double-clutching, I can't see doing anything on a transmission like ours since we have syncros. I thought that double clutching helped transmissions sync gears that didn't have syncros. I don't think it's applies anymore.

If you're not careful though, you might blow the welds on the intake manifold.

A18A
08-08-2007, 09:53 AM
:rofl:

MessyHonda
08-08-2007, 09:58 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutch

read my fellow grasshopper.

russiankid
08-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Yea i don't see why you need to double clutch.

bushbean
08-08-2007, 10:24 AM
My transmission has over 200,000 miles on it, and it has never been rebuilt. I need it to last another 200,000 miles. Thus, I'm doing whatever I can to prevent wear and tear. I think it is common knowledge that double-clutching or rev matching reduces wear-n-tear on the transmission, although neither technique is necessary for operation. My hand-foot coordination is not so good, which is probably why I'm still not proficient in the double-clutch technique. I usually just rev-match if I am feeling lazy. However, I'm not sure if rev-matching is as good as double-clutching in reducing wear-n-tear.

cubert
08-08-2007, 10:25 AM
helps with the nawzzzzz

MessyHonda
08-08-2007, 10:33 AM
i would just change the fluid more often. use honda MTF. it helped me with my syncro problem when i cheaped out and put semi synthetic fluid on it.

2ndGenGuy
08-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Double clutching MIGHT help reduce wear on the syncros, but I doubt it. Rev-matching definitely will reduce syncro wear. But that's about all. Other than that, just be smooth with your shifts, and don't pull high-rpm pulls or slam on the gas. Driving style will make the biggest impact.

Strugglebucket
08-08-2007, 09:05 PM
the only time i double clutch is if i'm cruising along the highway in 5th and i need to pass someone. i'll double clutch, drop it into 3rd and floor it. i don't like to skip a gear on a downshift without bringing the transmission up to speed. for normal downshift i just match revs.

87LXiR
08-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Rev matching probobly does reduce wear on the gears, but i think it would reduce the wear on the clutch much more. What i do when down shifting is hold the clutch down, rev to the appropriate rpm and release the clutch.All this done in one fluid motion taking no more than what a standad shift would. I feel as if it does reduce the wear on the clutch significantly.

snoopyloopy
08-08-2007, 10:27 PM
yeah, exact opposite of what i do. when i downshift, i slip the clutch into gear until then engine is up to speed then release it. but it also depends on how i'm going and which gear i'm downshifting to.

frantik
08-08-2007, 10:42 PM
u gotta at least rev match if you want quick, smooth shifts :) double clutching seems like overkill though

i don't like to skip a gear on a downshift without bringing the transmission up to speed.

for you it's even more extreme going from accord 5th to teg 3rd :)

Toneloc5145
08-09-2007, 09:08 AM
yeah, exact opposite of what i do. when i downshift, i slip the clutch into gear until then engine is up to speed then release it. but it also depends on how i'm going and which gear i'm downshifting to.

Thats a good way to kill your clutch. My philosophy is the less amount of time I spend using the clutch, the longer it will last. So I try to find the fastest way to shift, and rev matching seems like its easier on the clutch and the faster way to shift in the long run. It took me a long time to realize it though.

snoopyloopy
08-09-2007, 09:14 AM
yeah, but i figure it's cheaper/easier to replace the clutch than engine or transmission. also, this is my first standard car :bandance:

Toneloc5145
08-09-2007, 09:21 AM
yeah, but i figure it's cheaper/easier to replace the clutch than engine or transmission. also, this is my first standard car :bandance:

Right, but revmatching is also easier on your transmission than what you're doing. Also, I would think the way your downshifting is hard on your motor mounts too. But I dunno, thats just a possibility.:)

MessyHonda
08-09-2007, 09:24 AM

DUDE....i had a dream last night that my clutch was giving out. i think its a sign to replace it...haha

russiankid
08-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Rev matching probobly does reduce wear on the gears, but i think it would reduce the wear on the clutch much more. What i do when down shifting is hold the clutch down, rev to the appropriate rpm and release the clutch.All this done in one fluid motion taking no more than what a standad shift would. I feel as if it does reduce the wear on the clutch significantly.
That is what i do as well. I just push the clutch in, put in a lower gear, give gas and let go of the clutch. One way i find it to know if you matched the rev is if the car jolts forward or not. You shouldn't notice the transition, only thing you should notice is RPMs going up.