PDA

View Full Version : JDM B20 vs USDM B20

blh1983
08-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Ok I know I've heard that the two mount up completely different. But here's my questions?

Other than the mounting position are they pretty much the same critter as far as replacing parts, or getting replacement parts from the autostore?

Yes/No??

If yes, don't engines mount to the chassis via the bottom end?

Yes/No??

If yes, would it be possible and more cost effective to buy a bottom end JDM B20 and put it together with the top end of a USDM B20?

Yes/No??

If either yes or no, has anyone tried this or are they truly different critters?? Thanks guys!

AccordB20A
08-10-2007, 01:40 PM
lol b20a5s are gay. but i think if you had a jdm b20a block and head the rest should fit.. the pistons crank and bottom end stuff is the same and will fit a jdm b20a block im sure, someone will correct me if im wrong. the heads arent swappable but the valve cover is. you can use the same cams/cambelt/pulley/tensioner/waterpump/oil pump/sump. the intake manifold is totally different however

blh1983
08-10-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm looking for a low(er) budget direct bolt up project. I'm not keen on fabricating engine mounts, rewiring and all that. I'm novice to the whole thing. And I may be buying a parts car since this will be my first time doing a project like this. That and I can't tear down my daily driver, lol.
lol b20a5s are gay. but i think if you had a jdm b20a block and head the rest should fit.. the pistons crank and bottom end stuff is the same and will fit a jdm b20a block im sure, someone will correct me if im wrong. the heads arent swappable but the valve cover is. you can use the same cams/cambelt/pulley/tensioner/waterpump/oil pump/sump. the intake manifold is totally different however

Edited out double post; oops!
DOHC is much better than SOHC is it not? What's so bad about the B20? Does it have notorius issues that I'm not aware of?

carotman
08-10-2007, 07:04 PM
The internals in the bottom end are the same. The cams and valves aren't. The head is not interchangeable between the 2.

2oodoor
08-12-2007, 05:24 AM
Interesting, so it is feesable to get a complete head and intake shipped to USA from perhaps a NZ member, and go to a USA JY and get Prelude B20 block and manual tranny.. and be ready to swap?
I wonder too what is the difference in the JDM Accord frame so that it accomodates B engines, it has to be different than one with A20. Im thinking cut the section out and splice or is engine mount kit a better option.

I see an aweful lot of Lude B20 that bite the dust, I wonder if it is maitenance issue or what.

It is a continuing rival between DOHC and SOHC, which one is best? Obviously the DOHC is capable of more flow, but maybe the SOHC is more of an enduro engine.... any takers on that thought:gun:

A18A
08-12-2007, 06:11 AM
ha so if someone wanted a b20a, all they would need is the bare block, head, rear mount & b18a bell housing, and the rest of the stuff you can get there? sure would save on shipping

2oodoor
08-12-2007, 06:31 AM
ha so if someone wanted a b20a, all they would need is the bare block, head, rear mount & b18a bell housing, and the rest of the stuff you can get there? sure would save on shipping
yea, hint hint.. how much for your part out car's head complete shipped to US.. GA, :wave:

A18A
08-12-2007, 06:55 AM
my guesstimate is alot :(, around $500 - $800 is my guess :o

blh1983
08-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Doesn't the bare block have the mounts on it? And if so wouldn't the bare block need to come from NZ, or Japan, etc..?

But now you guys see what I was think'n lol.

My brother in law had a H22 DOHC from a 'lude that had hardly any miles on it. And was driving it around for about 2 years. He was really hard on it though. And it started knocking a 'lil bit, so he sold it because it was the sort of knock that means bigger problems down the road. But he had it in a 93 Civic HB. But it didn't help that he turbo'd it. That thing was wicked fast!!!
Now my '86 Accord LX-i running NGK V-Power Plugs featuring a K&N Air filter w/ advanced timing and a EDM ECU climbs the hills in 5th gear nicely with no power loss.
My oppinion is the more parts you have that can break the more parts there are to replace..

Interesting, so it is feesable to get a complete head and intake shipped to USA from perhaps a NZ member, and go to a USA JY and get Prelude B20 block and manual tranny.. and be ready to swap?
I wonder too what is the difference in the JDM Accord frame so that it accomodates B engines, it has to be different than one with A20. Im thinking cut the section out and splice or is engine mount kit a better option.
I see an aweful lot of Lude B20 that bite the dust, I wonder if it is maitenance issue or what.
It is a continuing rival between DOHC and SOHC, which one is best? Obviously the DOHC is capable of more flow, but maybe the SOHC is more of an enduro engine.... any takers on that thought:gun: