PDA

View Full Version : how to redo arm rest?

ryan2107
08-11-2007, 07:51 PM
well im getting this arm rest some time this week and i was wondering how would i go about painting it and everything with the frabic and all??? i want to paint it to match my tape deck and and shift nob and boot well any help would be great...thanks.. now here the pics

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/civicaccordhonda/ryan2107/armrest/2204ec56.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/civicaccordhonda/ryan2107/armrest/b011b7a4.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/civicaccordhonda/ryan2107/armrest/787363b4.jpg

thankls..

russiankid
08-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Fabric not sure, but other stuff you can use plastic or vinyl paint. Be sure to clean up the surface really well, use primer, and let the coats dry.

ryan2107
08-11-2007, 08:20 PM
ok no sanding right just take like a sos pad to it really good?

che3wy
08-11-2007, 08:32 PM
i would take evyerthing apart and give it a nice clean.

take apart all the screws you see inside and out and you'll see how it'll come apart.

use a 3m scuff pad and give the entire plastic part a good rub down to make it rough so the paint adheres.
clean with rubbing alchohal and then let dry.
there's plastic paint where you dont need a primer,
first coat should be thin then let dry for 15-20 min,( you can use hair dryer to speed up process)
apply as many coats directions say or to desire'd color let dry over night. reassemble

fabric:
this will take a good hand from someone who knows how to sew.
measure the lengths and pick a fabric you like, somthing durable cuz your arm will be resting on it alot.
when you remove the plastic part you will discover the fabric is stapled to the plastic frame so you'll need a way to reattach the fabric, probably a staple gun

thats all folks

ryan2107
08-11-2007, 08:41 PM
any frabrics that are reconmended??? and any black paint recomended i can use thats not to glossy..?

MessyHonda
08-12-2007, 12:44 AM
i used black fabric and plastic paint on my blue armrest. and i did like 3-4 coats and it looks nice.

A18A
08-12-2007, 12:53 AM
you could use vinyl and get away with calling it leather :)

hanginbyaccord
08-12-2007, 06:29 AM
heres how I would do it:

take it all apart
clean the plastic with soap and water to make sure its clean
let it dry good
buy some Fusion Plastic Spray Paint ( your color choice)
Spray it with light coats until its covered to your liking ( give it about 5-10 mins between coats, light coats turn out better than one heavy coat)
let dry over night
clear coat it with several light coats , waiting 15 mins between coats, but dont over do it, three coats at most otherwise it will have a yellow/clear haze

as for the fabric, I would go to a craft store pick up like 1/4 yard of black or any color marine vinyl and wrap it.

then install it in the car! that easy!

russiankid
08-12-2007, 08:38 AM
you could use vinyl and get away with calling it leather :)
What i did:Owned:

russiankid
08-12-2007, 08:41 AM
heres how I would do it:

take it all apart
clean the plastic with soap and water to make sure its clean
let it dry good
buy some Fusion Plastic Spray Paint ( your color choice)
Spray it with light coats until its covered to your liking ( give it about 5-10 mins between coats, light coats turn out better than one heavy coat)
let dry over night
clear coat it with several light coats , waiting 15 mins between coats, but dont over do it, three coats at most otherwise it will have a yellow/clear haze

as for the fabric, I would go to a craft store pick up like 1/4 yard of black or any color marine vinyl and wrap it.

then install it in the car! that easy!
Covering the armrest is not easy. You can buy the material, but making the fabric fit the armrest like a glove takes time and skill. I had my mom sow me the new cover for the armrest out of vinyl. This is how it looks when it was stichted together and ready to go into the car.http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/DSCF0021-1.jpg

The problem you will have is finding staples that will go through the plastic. I lucked out and found some that fit my air gun, so i just had to trim them a little.

P.S That armrest used to be tan, its now brown to match my interior.

hanginbyaccord
08-12-2007, 09:51 AM
nice!

MessyHonda
08-12-2007, 11:16 AM
i remmeber some one used like a pair of dickies pants and it turned out very nice for the cover. geddy has a nice cover on his car also.

ghettogeddy
08-12-2007, 11:53 AM
ya my dad sew's for a living lol

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF1073.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF1070.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF1074.jpg

Civic Accord Honda
08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
geddy your armrest looks good ... but why is your dash white...

ghettogeddy
08-12-2007, 01:28 PM
geddy your armrest looks good ... but why is your dash white...
cause i was in the middle of painting it but changed my mind so its just primer white lol
but i have another marron dash in my closet just waiting to go in

ryan2107
08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
damnn geddy ur interior is clean....

ghettogeddy
08-12-2007, 04:04 PM
damnn geddy ur interior is clean....
man wait till u see it when its done lol all the plastic is staying marron but anything thats fabric or vinal is gona be tan like the armrest my dads gona do all of it its gona be sick

ryan2107
08-12-2007, 07:25 PM
man wait till u see it when its done lol all the plastic is staying marron but anything thats fabric or vinal is gona be tan like the armrest my dads gona do all of it its gona be sick

im thinking of leaving the armrest tan but i think it wont look good but it should match due the roof and the sides of the plastic is tan to.. but i wanted to paint it black due to the tape deck being black and i was gonna paint the plastic thing where the shift nob is black too so all the center would be black....but i dont know...

anyone has ideas?/

ghettogeddy
08-12-2007, 07:28 PM
im thinking of leaving the armrest tan but i think it wont look good but it should match due the roof and the sides of the plastic is tan to.. but i wanted to paint it black due to the tape deck being black and i was gonna paint the plastic thing where the shift nob is black too so all the center would be black....but i dont know...
anyone has ideas?/
paint it black lol
i would if nothing else matched or at least make it match your dash
ur not looking for a set of cupholders are u

ryan2107
08-12-2007, 07:55 PM
paint it black lol
i would if nothing else matched or at least make it match your dash
ur not looking for a set of cupholders are u

not yet ill keep u posted... but i cant sew or anything like that LOL but i can paint real good LOL

ghettogeddy
08-12-2007, 07:59 PM
not yet ill keep u posted... but i cant sew or anything like that LOL but i can paint real good LOL
wqell my dad can if u need something mafde just get the fabric send it to me and ill get it done super cheap

ryan2107
08-12-2007, 08:02 PM
and then i can just get it stapeled on..? how much estimate?

ryan2107
08-14-2007, 06:09 PM
i got plastic cleaner and some SOS pads to clean it out and i got satin black fusion plastic paint for the platic areas and also got like black suade for the fabric to redo ............

russiankid
08-14-2007, 06:53 PM
and then i can just get it stapeled on..? how much estimate?
Yea, but you need to find a good staple gun that will put enough force to go through the plastic. And you need to find staples that are small enough. And geddy, that cover my mom sewed, it isn't bad considering she actually sews for fun.

ryan2107
08-14-2007, 06:54 PM
yeah thats whats gonna suck but i might just have geddys dad do it for me..