PDA

View Full Version : Differential oil seal replacement

hyongel
08-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

I have an '88 LX auto sedan that has started leaking badly from the oil seal where the driver's side axle mates to the differential; this happened when I changed out the driveshaft (NAPA rebuilt replacement). The factory manual says this seal should be replaced from the inside of the diff, but I was wondering if anyone had replaced this without taking the diff apart.

Thanks for any help!

Hyong

russiankid
08-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Are you sure the little ring on the axle isn't at fault? Those rings can leak too.

LX-incredible
08-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Are you sure the little ring on the axle isn't at fault? Those rings can leak too.
What ring? You should be able to replace the seals from the outside. You need a seal puller and something flat to drive them in with.

russiankid
08-12-2007, 08:22 PM
What ring? You should be able to replace the seals from the outside. You need a seal puller and something flat to drive them in with.
It is like a clip but looks like a ring at the end of the axle that goes into the tranny. It snaps into the tranny. I read that those can cause leaks.

LX-incredible
08-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Well yes, if the axle came out, it would leak. I dont think that's the problem here.
This is what a seal puller looks like:
http://www.sulco.co.nz/products/598/466/545/small/3207523.jpg
there are other types as well.

hyongel
08-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Cool,

Thanks for the help LXi!

Russiankid, I was thinking of that myself. The clip is a Honda part (pulled off the one that came with the NAPA axle). I had to pull the axle recently to replace the alternator, and I replaced the clip again but the leak continued.

I'll have to find the oil seal puller -- it looks like it will make the job a lot easier.

Hyong

Oldblueaccord
08-13-2007, 10:02 AM
You can pry the seal out with a screwdriver Its a fairly easy one. I think i used a 2x4 to knock it back in the case. Grease it a little and you should be set. Dont forget to top off the case with 10w30 oil or honda gear lube.

wp

LX-incredible
08-13-2007, 10:19 AM
You can pry the seal out with a screwdriver Its a fairly easy one. I think i used a 2x4 to knock it back in the case. Grease it a little and you should be set. Dont forget to top off the case with 10w30 oil or honda gear lube.
wp Even better. He has an auto though, so use Honda ATF.