PDA

View Full Version : My Clutch cable failed the other day...

dosh8er
09-13-2002, 12:57 PM
I was out for lunch after class, getting a new CD at best buy, when I pulled out into the road, and tried to shift.. and then I realized... OH $hit! :eek: Where did the clutch pedal go? I immediately realized what had happened, cleverly matching my rpms and smoothly shifting into gear w/o the clutch... I turned off into a parking lot to assess the damage. (I had to drive another 20 minutes thru highway construction/etc, I needed a clutch) Looking at my cable, I saw that it was adjusted all the way out for some reason. It was like the plastic adjuster nut had skipped all the threads and slipped back to the end of the threads. (sounds crazy, but that's what had to have happened..)

My question to you old/experienced 3geezers, anyone have this happen to them, and confirmation that maybe i need to replace my clutch cable? Whatdya think? Stretched maybe? I dunno.

I'm glad I practiced shifting w/o a clutch when I got the car, hehe... clutch, you don't need no stinkin' clutch!

BTW, the clutch doesn't feel the same anymore, even with a lot of toying and adjustment of it..

89AccordNate
09-13-2002, 02:17 PM
Mine hasnt done that before, but my cable actually got caught on something. At a stop sign my pedal was stuck on the floor board! I had to crank the ignition over and over to make it lunge forward so I could get it out of the road....it was weird but it hasnt done it since.

Nate.

1989 DX R
09-13-2002, 03:06 PM
When my old one was on its last legs, I was backing up and then when I put the car in first but it wouldn't engage at all. Weird.

winkie45
09-13-2002, 05:15 PM
that happened to me when i had an 87 integra. the clutch just went straight to the floor and stayed there. what happened was that the metal thingy that the cable was attached to broke, but it was broken inside the clutch, where you couldn't see it. i forgot what it was called. i remember the word "fork" but im not sure.

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-14-2002, 12:58 AM
Never had any problems here ;)

smufguy
09-14-2002, 05:41 AM
nope me neither. Maybe the cltuch was adjusted real tight. Did u adjust ur cltuch?

dosh8er
09-14-2002, 08:08 AM
before this incident, I hadn't touched the adjustment on my clutch in months...

ACCORD EX
09-14-2002, 09:28 AM
man shifting without clutch ! take car you can end up buying a tranny!

MIKE