PDA

View Full Version : And so begins the end of the 1G,2G,3G, and 4G Accords

Legend_master
08-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Starting December the state of Texas will be giving 3k voucheres in an attempt to get older cars off the road ( calling us polluters )

Also on ABC13.com:

Send news tips | RSS | ABC13 E-lert | Info mentioned on air | Search abc13.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GETTING STARTED
To learn more about the program, call 1-866-237-9392. The program begins in December.
By the end of the year, the state will begin offering up to $3,500 in vouchers to replace pre-1996 vehicles, some of the heaviest polluters on the roads.

The program will be available in 14 Texas counties surrounding the Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston areas, as well as Travis and Williamson counties in the Austin area.

Owners who agree to "retire" their vehicles will get $3,000 vouchers that can be used toward buying a new car or truck or a late-model used vehicle. If they opt to buy a hybrid, they can get $3,500. The program is voluntary.

"By cleaning up some of the old cars and getting them off the road, you could put a real dent in the pollution numbers," said state Sen. Kip Averitt, R-Waco, who led the bill through the Legislature.

Starting in 1996, automakers equipped U.S. vehicles with more sophisticated and precise fuel-injection systems, better sensors and improved computers to meet increasingly stringent clean-air standards. In the years since, most vehicles have gotten significantly cleaner.

Averitt estimates old cars and trucks emit 20 to 30 times as much pollution as a new vehicle. Jim Marston, regional director of Environmental Defense, estimates that number is closer to 10 times as much pollution.

Vehicles must have passed a state inspection within the last 15 months to be eligible, and an owner's annual income cannot exceed $61,000 for a family of four. For cars that qualify, a $3,000 voucher will be issued that can be used as a down payment on a new vehicle that cannot cost more than $25,000. The voucher can also be applied to used vehicles that are no more than three model years old.

The 16 counties are Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis and Williamson.

Im gonna go buy a bunch of $500.00 cars and sell them to the state :cheers: .

guaynabo89
08-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I think their talking about american made cars.

I mean the Cali guys pass the smogs with these old cars no problem right??? Do the new and old cars share the same standards?

russiankid
08-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Well my 89 LX passes emissions without a problem, so it isn't going anywhere:flip:

Legend_master
08-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Nope the old cars fall under a different set of standards, as do truck. This is in Texas at least. I know I dont have to get emission testing after my car turns 25. They are trying to get all cars older then 96 off the road.

russiankid
08-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Nope the old cars fall under a different set of standards, as do truck. This is in Texas at least. I know I dont have to get emission testing after my car turns 25. They are trying to get all cars older then 96 off the road.
Well how does this work? They send you letters out or something about your car? I mean mine passes fine...

Legend_master
08-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Well how does this work? They send you letters out or something about your car? I mean mine passes fine...

No it's optional, you dont have to turn in your car. The thing is all the cars that people do turn in are going to get scrapped. That means all those people that dont particularly like their cars (3g for example) are going to go scrap their cars :violin: . I'm hoping they send them to JY's (not scrap yards) so I can get all the juicy parts :) .

russiankid
08-12-2007, 08:09 PM
No it's optional, you dont have to turn in your car. The thing is all the cars that people do turn in are going to get scrapped. That means all those people that dont particularly like their cars (3g for example) are going to go scrap their cars :violin: . I'm hoping they send them to JY's (not scrap yards) so I can get all the juicy parts :) .
hahaha...well that is good to hear. My 3gee drives wonderfully and i cannot turn it in.

snoopyloopy
08-12-2007, 08:13 PM
man, looks like the texans beat us cali people at our own game. i onliy got $1000 for my 3g. i wish i coulda gotten 3. i'd have my b20a by now, and still polluting! :bandance:

frantik
08-12-2007, 08:19 PM
$3000 toward the purchace of a new car isn't really all that useful i'd rather have the $1000 cali gives you straight up.. you could go get another used car which passes smog for $1000 but for a new car you're going to spend more than the voucher is worth

btw i'm pretty sure older vehicles have different smog standards than newer vehicles.. ie they can pollute more and still pass smog. not 100% on that though

Legend_master
08-12-2007, 08:20 PM
$3000 toward the purchace of a new car isn't really all that useful i'd rather have the $1000 cali gives you straight up.. you could go get another used car which passes smog for $1000 but for a new car you're going to spend more than the voucher is worth

btw i'm pretty sure older vehicles have different smog standards than newer vehicles.. ie they can pollute more and still pass smog. not 100% on that though

New, or late model (96+) vehicle. So you could definitly get a nice car for trading in a $500.00 car.

LX-incredible
08-12-2007, 08:35 PM
New, or late model (96+) vehicle. So you could definitly get a nice car for trading in a $500.00 car.
"The voucher can also be applied to used vehicles that are no more than three model years old."

frantik
08-12-2007, 08:38 PM

nah you have to buy a new car, or a pretty new used car..

For cars that qualify, a $3,000 voucher will be issued that can be used as a down payment on a new vehicle that cannot cost more than $25,000. The voucher can also be applied to used vehicles that are no more than three model years old.
I doubt you'll be able to buy a 2004 or newer car for $3000 :\

Legend_master
08-12-2007, 08:38 PM
"The voucher can also be applied to used vehicles that are no more than three model years old."

Oh I missed that. its good though, it will keep people from turning them in. I wonder what they mean by 3 "model" years old, and not 3 years old.

LX-incredible
08-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Cause 2008s come out in 2007. So more like 2 1/2 yrs or so.

snoopyloopy
08-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Oh I missed that. its good though, it will keep people from turning them in. I wonder what they mean by 3 "model" years old, and not 3 years old.
right now, you could only buy a car that was model year 2005 or newer.

AccordB20A
08-14-2007, 08:33 PM
but but but late models cars just arent cool..... well new toyotas arent

Legend_master
08-14-2007, 10:40 PM
but but but late models cars just arent cool..... well new toyotas arent

:werd:

2drSE-i
08-14-2007, 10:49 PM
ya i havent seen a newer car that i actually liked other than trucks. I am more than willing to bet they wont let you turn in more than 1 car.

ghettogeddy
08-14-2007, 10:58 PM
i hope this goes thru in cali i got 2 cars right now i can get rid of no prob lol one being my 89 lx and the other being a 88 volvo i love them but i know there not worth 3k lol but blue book is at least 1500

evil88accordLX
08-15-2007, 08:21 AM
kinda sounds like a ploy for the automakers to sell more new vehicles. we all know the govt. and the auto industry are the best of butt buddies. and it has been proven that the air inside our houses and places of business are worse off for you than outside air. so they should be giving us money to change our air conditioner filters instead of our cars if they are worried about the pollution and out health.