PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Gas Gauge Read Full!! ???

blh1983
08-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I changed the instrument cluster and my gas gauge is reading full?? It wasn't doing this at first. It worked normally, but now it's decided to do this.. What's going on?? Did I do something? How do I make it work again? I've tried searching. And spent ten minutes looking through this. I don't want to be up all night so if you already know the answer I'd greatly appreciate your response.. Thank you guys!

LX-incredible
08-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Twice I tried swapping my auto cluster with one from a 5 speed. The first one was a Denso, the second was the NS. Both read on F all the time. I just swapped the auto fuel and temp gauge into the NS. The gauges will not interchange between the NS and Denso.

blh1983
08-14-2007, 08:47 PM
That's my problem! One's NS, and one's denso... Damn it.. I know what the problem is. The copper thread is disconnected behind the needle on the other side of the gauge... and it's next to impossible to fix..
Twice I tried swapping my auto cluster with one from a 5 speed. The first one was a Denso, the second was the NS. Both read on F all the time. I just swapped the auto fuel and temp gauge into the NS. The gauges will not interchange between the NS and Denso.

blh1983
08-14-2007, 08:52 PM
How do you take the needles off the gauges?? If I could get them off I could take the damn thing apart and fix that pain in the ass wire.. Do I sound irritated? lol. I am but, only because this is annoying me. Anyone know how to remove them? Pulling isn't working.

LX-incredible
08-14-2007, 09:15 PM
I has the same results with both the NS and the Denso 5 speed gauges. The only way that I could get it to work was to use the auto temp/fuel gauge. It must just be common for these to go, I can't see them being wired differently for auto. You can swap the Denso and NS clusters, but you can't swap the individual gauges. The sizing is a little different and the connections are different.

frantik
08-14-2007, 10:46 PM
just drive around for a while it'll go down :kekeke:

blh1983
08-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Lol, that's the best sound advice I never heard.
just drive around for a while it'll go down :kekeke:

blh1983
08-14-2007, 11:13 PM
The fuel light should still work right, even if the gauge has decided to be hormonal?

blh1983
08-14-2007, 11:20 PM
The guages are not interchangeable but the little car indicator that tell you which doors are open, which lights are burn out, and in some cases which gear your in (automatic).. that is interchangeable.. It makes it nice if your swapping a gauge cluster from a two door to a four door..
I has the same results with both the NS and the Denso 5 speed gauges. The only way that I could get it to work was to use the auto temp/fuel gauge. It must just be common for these to go, I can't see them being wired differently for auto. You can swap the Denso and NS clusters, but you can't swap the individual gauges. The sizing is a little different and the connections are different.

blh1983
08-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Well I connected it, hopefully the fuel gauge works and I didn't mess up the temperature gauge. If I did, does anybody have a NS fuel and temperature gauge for a manual??

russiankid
08-15-2007, 03:42 AM
Man i gave out the idea that the fuel and heat guage may not work and i was right. Now you should do a how to just in case people need to do this.

blh1983
08-16-2007, 02:38 AM
These gauges do work but I messed them up! on the NS gauges there is a thin copper wire that wraps around in a ball several several times.. Well I needed to removed the guages to put my 4 door is ajar, brake light and headlight out indicator; because the gauge was for a two door. Well when I went to put the gauges back on there are screws that connect a soft circuit panel to the gauges which in turn meet up with that copper wire mess. Well I overtightened and broke the copper wire so the gauges stopped working. And the only way to get to the copper wire to try and fix it is to pop the gauge face off, in turn removing the needles. When you remove the needles if you spin the motors at all or don't put the needles on relatively close to the way they were before (like setting the timing on your ignition) then it will read incorrectly; or possibly not at all.. So don't ever mess with these needles, they are a pain in the @$$. If anything my theory once I get another replacement gas and temp gauge is that the gas gauge will goto the full mark when I fill it, but not go back down... I could be wrong, and hopefully I am.
Man i gave out the idea that the fuel and heat guage may not work and i was right. Now you should do a how to just in case people need to do this.

LX-incredible
08-20-2007, 11:21 AM
These gauges do work but I messed them up! on the NS gauges there is a thin copper wire that wraps around in a ball several several times.. Well I needed to removed the guages to put my 4 door is ajar, brake light and headlight out indicator; because the gauge was for a two door. Well when I went to put the gauges back on there are screws that connect a soft circuit panel to the gauges which in turn meet up with that copper wire mess. Well I overtightened and broke the copper wire so the gauges stopped working. And the only way to get to the copper wire to try and fix it is to pop the gauge face off, in turn removing the needles. When you remove the needles if you spin the motors at all or don't put the needles on relatively close to the way they were before (like setting the timing on your ignition) then it will read incorrectly; or possibly not at all.. So don't ever mess with these needles, they are a pain in the @$$. If anything my theory once I get another replacement gas and temp gauge is that the gas gauge will goto the full mark when I fill it, but not go back down... I could be wrong, and hopefully I am. That must have been what happened to me, I do remember some of the screws feeling like they were starting to strip. I accidentally moved the needles on the auto fuel/temp when installing, but checked that they would move equally into the extremes. As long as they are moved slowly, the needles won't lose place. I'm going to check the other 2 fuel/temp gauges for broken wires.

blh1983
08-25-2007, 12:41 PM
PROBLEM FIXED! I went to pick a part took the gas gauge, fuel temp and door and light indicator from another 3G with a NS cluster. And they just gave it to me for free! I installed it and turned the screw by hand, just so they were hand tight and my gauge cluster is now working perfectly.