PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery or Bad Alternator?

blh1983
08-15-2007, 05:47 AM
So I was up working on my car for about 5 hours, with the door open and such. Turning the keys on and off because I was installing a gauge cluster from another 3rd gen into my car (From Denso, to Neuspeed). And when I was done I didn't think to actually start my car, even though I had a few times during the process (but I never let it ran for more than a minute. So I get up this morning to goto work and she makes a fast paced clicking sound, and I notice that my gauge isn't as luminous as it normally is. Needless to say she doesn't start, and lost all power until I turned the key to off. So I tried jump starting her and she ran for about 5 minutes, but I noticed that when I revved it the battery light would light up?? She died after running for 5 minutes though; and the entire time the tachometer was having a epileptic fit... What do you guys think? My experience with the alternator is that it gives you a warning for days or weeks or more (by lighting up the battery light).. Do you think it's the battery or the alternator?

Did I ruin my battery by working on my car and not starting the car up after I was done to make sure that it didn't sit dead over night?

Oh and by the way the connections are completely tight. Thank you for your support guys!

A18A
08-15-2007, 05:54 AM
i would guess both, and do you mean from denso to nippon seiki gauges? i've never heard of neuspeed ones before..

ESDEEZ
08-15-2007, 06:05 AM
its probably both. but the tac going wonky could be somthing u did the other day.

EricW
08-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Sounds like your alternator is bad, but if you really want to find out jump start the car again and then when its running pull off the ground terminal on the battery and if the car still runs then the alternator is good. If it quits running then the alternator is bad. I would also charge the battery using a charger(or another car if you have to all though it will be hare on the alt) and put it back in the car and if runs fine then your battery is good and you'll know its the alternator.

I'd guess that the tach was going crazy because of the lack of power for the ignition system, since the car probably wasn't running very well for those 5 minutes it was running.

blh1983
08-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Parts store says battery is good! I need help! I am trying to remove the alternator and I'm not getting far. I was supposed to be at work hours ago. Is there anybody in salem that would help me change this alternator? I will give whoever comes to my house and helps me get the car back on the road my EDM ECU.
Sounds like your alternator is bad, but if you really want to find out jump start the car again and then when its running pull off the ground terminal on the battery and if the car still runs then the alternator is good. If it quits running then the alternator is bad. I would also charge the battery using a charger(or another car if you have to all though it will be hare on the alt) and put it back in the car and if runs fine then your battery is good and you'll know its the alternator.
I'd guess that the tach was going crazy because of the lack of power for the ignition system, since the car probably wasn't running very well for those 5 minutes it was running.

Pico
08-15-2007, 07:15 AM
how far have you gotten on the alternator removal, since your car is injected, it would be easier if you remove the air cleaner housing and bring the alternator up thru there.

EricW
08-15-2007, 07:20 AM
how far have you gotten on the alternator removal, since your car is injected, it would be easier if you remove the air cleaner housing and bring the alternator up thru there.

:werd:

DDRaptor
08-15-2007, 07:30 AM
i used to get that all the time. this might sound stupid but make sure the postive terminal is on tight. it either clicks fast or i turn the key and just clicks once and the my lights dim.

blh1983
08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
I removed the bolts for the cruise control and the long silver thing next to it. And removed as many other bolts as I could. But I didn't get farther than that before I decided I needed to get my @$$ to work. I don't have the tools to remove that big @ss bolt on the bottom of the alternator. I'm sure the tool is cheaper than a mechanic.. But I'm just going to pay a mechanic to fix my alternator. I bought one, I just need a mechanic to install it. Anyone here from Salem a mechanic that would do it for $100-125?

Pico
08-15-2007, 08:09 PM
the bolt on the bottom is a 14mm socket the top bolt is a 12mm and the adjuster is 10mm,
you can grab a inexpensive metric set from kragen's/shucks/pepboys for under $25.00, you'll save $$$ and have the satisfaction of getting the job done yourself. Plus the fact if the alternator goes bad again you'll be able to do it with ease :D

blh1983
08-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I have a ratchet and a 14mm socket, but it just won't budge.. My elbow grease is not JDM. It's USDM, lol.
the bolt on the bottom is a 14mm socket the top bolt is a 12mm and the adjuster is 10mm,
you can grab a inexpensive metric set from kragen's/shucks/pepboys for under $25.00, you'll save $$$ and have the satisfaction of getting the job done yourself. Plus the fact if the alternator goes bad again you'll be able to do it with ease :D

russiankid
08-15-2007, 08:21 PM
My adjuster is a 12mm:wtf:

Anyways All you really need is some extensions, and possibly a break bar. After you get all the nuts and bolts removed it should come out fairly easy as Pico described.

blh1983
08-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Your right it's nippon seiki. LOL, wishful thinking that they'd be neuspeed..haha.
i would guess both, and do you mean from denso to nippon seiki gauges? i've never heard of neuspeed ones before..

blh1983
08-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Ok I took out the underside plastic thing so I can get better access to the alternator... But the problem is I stripped the nut that you losen off to pull the pin out. Should I use my dremel and cut the nut off? And if so what size nut do I replace it with? And is it safe to use a dremel with sparks flying and spots of oil in drip form here and there? It won't catch on fire will it? What's my next step... Please advise. Thank you guys!

A18A
08-15-2007, 10:49 PM
should be alright, i stripped mine too :( lucky for me it had enough left to use a 6 point socket on it, sparks shouldnt light oil around it, oil spends most of its time in the engine where its alot more hotter & it doesnt catch fire :)

blh1983
08-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks! But my next question is do you know what nut I replace it with? Or better yet can I find this nut somewhere else on my car? I don't want to goto a junkyard and wrestle another 3G just for a 15-18 year old nut, lol. Thanks..
should be alright, i stripped mine too :( lucky for me it had enough left to use a 6 point socket on it, sparks shouldnt light oil around it, oil spends most of its time in the engine where its alot more hotter & it doesnt catch fire :)

AccordB20A
yeah the best way to access the lower alternator bold it to take the wheel off and access it through there, then pull off the air filter box and it goes up there. you should be able to get vice grips on the nut if u take the wheel off and remove the plastic. good luck dooode

ghettogeddy
u can alwas go pic up a set or craftsman bolt offs i have a set and there i life saver and kmart or sears should have them

blh1983
08-15-2007, 11:12 PM
I'll be looking into this.. Hopefully I'll see these online. Now are these bolt offs just an assortment of nuts for the bolts? Or is it an assortment of nuts and bolts?
u can alwas go pic up a set or craftsman bolt offs i have a set and there i life saver and kmart or sears should have them

blh1983
08-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Are you referring to bolt-out? http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&pid=00952161000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Bolt-Out%2C+Taps+%26+Dies&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes ?

ghettogeddy
08-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Are you referring to bolt-out? http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&pid=00952161000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Bolt-Out%2C+Taps+%26+Dies&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes ?
yup best damn 19.99 i ever spent
had to use then quite a few time on the new motor im rebuilding lol

blh1983
08-16-2007, 02:15 AM
The car is running now! I was getting pissed at the bolt and I decided to give up. I was either gonna get that bolt of with what I had, or let a mechanic fuss with it. So I decided to put it all back together. Which I did. And for grins and giggles I cleaned the negative battery terminal, since the positive one is brand new. And after doing that I thought why not see if she starts up. And she did. Blue (that's what I call her) was just being hormonal. Still I am going to go and have the alternator tested. It can be tested while it's in the car can't it? While I was at it I decided to pull the EDM ECU to test a theory about why my AC Idle Boost Solenoid wasn't working, so I put the USDM one back in. And low and behold the AC works like it's supposed to with the USDM ECU. :(. I guess it will just have to be a winter ECU. So hopefully all problems are solved, and the car is now driveable. The USDM throws no codes so so far so good. I'm just glad she didn't breakdown at work, or somewhere where I would have to have her towed home. And not only did my car do me a favor by breaking down at home, she did it on payday; now that is Honda engineering lol. I'll let you guys know tomorrow if she starts up and what the results of the alternator test are.

HondaEnthusiast1980
08-18-2007, 02:37 PM
sometimes...the slightest off....could drain your battery....( Alternator connectors not being all the way on )

sometimes its the simple things we overlook! LOL

blh1983
08-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Battery kept a full charge, but I definately overlooked a simple solution. I don't know why I thought it was the alternator though. The last time I had this problem I checked the terminals and that was the problem. I guess that's why I overlooked that being the issue, lol.
sometimes...the slightest off....could drain your battery....( Alternator connectors not being all the way on )

sometimes its the simple things we overlook! LOL

StressSolutions
08-19-2007, 05:53 AM
While I was at it I decided to pull the EDM ECU to test a theory about why my AC Idle Boost Solenoid wasn't working, so I put the USDM one back in. And low and behold the AC works like it's supposed to with the USDM ECU. I'll let you guys know tomorrow if she starts up and what the results of the alternator test are.

I'm a little surprised...you know all about EDM thngs, but can't change the alternator...I can change the alternator, but have not a clue
:wtf: all that ECU EDM stuff is all about. Nor would I attempt changing gauges. Very interesting.

blh1983
08-19-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm a little surprised...you know all about EDM thngs, but can't change the alternator...I can change the alternator, but have not a clue
:wtf: all that ECU EDM stuff is all about. Nor would I attempt changing gauges. Very interesting.