PDA

View Full Version : tinted windshield?

winkie45
09-13-2002, 05:21 PM
does anyone here happen to have a tinted windshield? when i bought my car a year ago, it had a tinted windshield that was slightly purple. now it seems to be really purple, so i'm gonna take it off. but after living with a tinted windshield for a year, and without ever getting pulled over for it, i really want to tint it again. my windshield is 35%, and everything else is 5%. so i was just going to get 35% again, but my friend got his tinted 50% and it looks just as dark as mine. so should i get 35%, or would that be too dark?

A20A1
09-13-2002, 06:22 PM
50% would be da shit but is it still legal?

YK86
09-13-2002, 08:29 PM
It's illegal. Anyways, if you still want to do it, make sure you get a good name brand tint that's metalized and not dyed (dye ones are the cheap ones that turn purple). Also, I would not go darker than 50%.

Fascarz
09-15-2002, 11:16 AM
I had a car with 50% tint on the front and 15% all round and it was pretty dark. I did get pulled over once because of the front tint. Personally, I think if you're going to get front tint, it's illegal anyway so you might as well go for it and get the darkest you can (and still be able to see out safely), which would be 35% or even 20% with 5% all around. If you're going to get a ticket anyway, might as well go all out!!! :D

On my car right now, I have legal 35% with no front tint, and it sucks, but it's legal. I've been debating on whether to re-tint and go with 5%, but the problem is where do I go for a safety-check???

Micah 89LXi
09-15-2002, 11:41 AM
tint on windshield isnt legal period..except for the strip across the top..and ive heard its illlegal to go down past a few inches or something..i dunno my bro is a police officer thats what he said...i got the dark blue factory strip on mine..course we just did my friends windshield strip yesterday...i tinted my sinde windows..(im taking it to a pro to get the back windshield tinted cause that isnt gonna happen with just me)..does anyone know if 20% is illegal?....oh and something else somebody might wanna try...if u have any little scraps left over...u can cut out around ur corner light reflectors..and tint them..i dunno why i did it yesterday...but it looks awsome

Micah 89LXi
09-15-2002, 11:43 AM
get at least 5000 grade

A20A1
09-15-2002, 01:51 PM
Damn safety checks... they are killing the total # of possible leagal mods.
I don't care anymore... the only reason I need a safety check is to get onto the military base... other then that I wouldn't bother getting one.

winkie45
09-15-2002, 04:45 PM
well, you need to find a hookup for getting a safety check. i've got a hookup, but i'm sorry, it's somebody my friend knows, and i cannot start bringing everyone that needs a safety check over there.
i would go all out and 35 or 20 on the windshield, but it seems like the cops look for the cars with the more "extreme" things. meaning the cars that are an inch off the ground, or the cars with really loud exhausts. that's been my opinion cuz my friend has a car like that, and he has enough tickets to make wallpaper in his room, while i have zero.

Fascarz
09-17-2002, 11:32 PM
True dat about the cops targeting "extreme" IMPORTS. Of course they never hassle Harley's or "Domestic" American cars, even though some of them have exhausts that are way louder than any import car and sometimes the cars (or bikes) are HEAVILY modified! And what about those high 4x4 trucks? That height can't be anywhere near legal!

I have a friend that does safety checks but not sure if he'll do it because the cops are cracking down on the ones giving the safety checks too. I've been noticing that they're not hassling as much nowadays with the tint unless you've got front tint. Even if you have 5% all around except for the front, they don't seem to care. Of course it helps if you roll down your windows when a cop's around though...