PDA

View Full Version : Strutbars and Swaybars.

mushroom_toy
08-16-2007, 02:12 PM
INSTALL AND DIY + PICS IN DIY SECTION!!

After driving in the mountains last Sunday I decided it would probably best for me to start upgrading some suspension parts. Going 70 and above up and down the mountain can freak you out. I was also getting some wheel hop I believe so hoping to change that. Well I decided I'll be picking up a Vigor Rear sway bar pretty soon, and I was just wondering if yall knew of any cars that come with stock strut bars. I know a lot of high end performance cars come with them like bmws, etc, even the nissan sentra sers have em. I'm looking for something I could score at a junkyard and mod slightly or redrill to make it work. Did any older Saabs, or just any older cars have em?

ghettogeddy
08-16-2007, 02:18 PM
After driving in the mountains last Sunday I decided it would probably best for me to start upgrading some suspension parts. Going 70 and above up and down the mountain can freak you out. I was also getting some wheel hop I believe so hoping to change that. Well I decided I'll be picking up a Vigor Rear sway bar pretty soon, and I was just wondering if yall knew of any cars that come with stock strut bars. I know a lot of high end performance cars come with them like bmws, etc, even the nissan sentra sers have em. I'm looking for something I could score at a junkyard and mod slightly or redrill to make it work. Did any older Saabs, or just any older cars have em?
i doubt it u would just have to take mesurment from strut bolt to strut bolt and match it up with something at a jy but most stock strut bars would prolly interfer with the intake mani ud have to find something that raises up high if i were u it would prolly be easyer to just build ur own all u really need is a welder and some skill with a mesuring tape

mushroom_toy
08-16-2007, 02:21 PM
i doubt it u would just have to take mesurment from strut bolt to strut bolt and match it up with something at a jy but most stock strut bars would prolly interfer with the intake mani ud have to find something that raises up high if i were u it would prolly be easyer to just build ur own all u really need is a welder and some skill with a mesuring tape

^Thats what I was gonna do, but I don't have a welder and don't really have any access to one either. :(

Legend_master
08-16-2007, 02:26 PM

EDIT: nevermind I thought you wanted factory sway bars.

mushroom_toy
08-16-2007, 02:27 PM
^ Oh I got it covered on the sway bars just wondering about strut bars.

Legend_master
08-16-2007, 02:29 PM
^ Oh I got it covered on the sway bars just wondering about strut bars.

I know a lot of newer GSR integras came with them. You might try searching Honda tech to see if anybody is selling there old ones for cheap.

mushroom_toy
08-16-2007, 02:36 PM
I know a lot of newer GSR integras came with them. You might try searching Honda tech to see if anybody is selling there old ones for cheap.

Unfortunately my cheap is about $11 bucks. If I could find a strut bar similar that would work at the junkyard I could get it real cheap.

Legend_master
08-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately my cheap is about $11 bucks. If I could find a strut bar similar that would work at the junkyard I could get it real cheap.

By a piece of metal cut it to the proper length, drill a hole on each end and bolt it down. Thats the only way to get an $11 strut bar. Also check out the old Mercedes, some of them came with 4 point sway bars.

mushroom_toy
08-16-2007, 02:42 PM
By a piece of metal cut it to the proper length, drill a hole on each end and bolt it down. Thats the only way to get an $11 strut bar. Also check out the old Mercedes, some of them came with 4 point sway bars.

Thanks will do. The jy im going to happens to have a lot of mercedes so I guess I'll see. btw if I find one that will work i can get the strut bar for 5-10 bucks and the Vigor rear bar for 11.32.
You dont happen to know a specific model do ya?

Legend_master
08-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks will do. The jy im going to happens to have a lot of mercedes so I guess I'll see. btw if I find one that will work i can get the strut bar for 5-10 bucks and the Vigor rear bar for 11.32.
You dont happen to know a specific model do ya?

Nope sorry, I just know I have seen them looking for turbos in the JY.

mushroom_toy
08-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Alrighty appreciate it, I guess I'll just browse, because I usually do that anyway. For anyone thats got the Vigor rear bar, did you use stock bushings, 4g bushing or other?

MessyHonda
08-16-2007, 11:55 PM
yeah that rear vigor sway bar should help a bit.

2drSE-i
08-17-2007, 12:00 AM
im not sure if anyone has actually installed the vigor bars...i know theres alot of talk about it though. I would just take the vigor bushings

86AccordLxi
08-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Yes people have. Yes it works. Yes it's bigger than the s/t bar and the addco bar (though I'm sure the materials are different). Either way, it costs a LOT less.

By far the best bang for your buck suspension mod.

Alex

MessyHonda
08-17-2007, 12:53 AM
yeah some one here had like 3-4 of them for sale...they are 16mm...so the same thing as a ST rear sway bar. but with out the poly bushings.

mushroom_toy
08-17-2007, 07:41 AM
yeah some one here had like 3-4 of them for sale...they are 16mm...so the same thing as a ST rear sway bar. but with out the poly bushings.

Yeah that was my friend Jason from Buford...or EstimatedProphet on here, althougyh havent heard from him in a long time.

2drSE-i
08-17-2007, 08:20 AM
the only real notable difference is that the oem bars are hollow and the aftermarket ones are solid, although no1 has proven the difference performance wise.

mushroom_toy
08-17-2007, 09:30 PM
I know many people have said there is definitely a difference in upgrading....but I guess I'll just have to see for myself after installing it after I get it.

2drSE-i
08-17-2007, 10:12 PM
I know many people have said there is definitely a difference in upgrading....but I guess I'll just have to see for myself after installing it after I get it.

oh i meant between solid vs hollow bars.

labeledsk8r
08-17-2007, 11:32 PM
you should look into seeing if sosmone is letting go a set of justins bars, i know he had made almost everything posible for bolting up includeing the front and rear tower bars, dont think he makes them anymore though so your gona have to find somsone to part with theres. and i dunno how cheep they will be but most likely not 15 bucks lol but might be something to save for

mushroom_toy
08-18-2007, 07:51 AM
you should look into seeing if sosmone is letting go a set of justins bars, i know he had made almost everything posible for bolting up includeing the front and rear tower bars, dont think he makes them anymore though so your gona have to find somsone to part with theres. and i dunno how cheep they will be but most likely not 15 bucks lol but might be something to save for

Actually I would do that, but Id rather modify or make my own. That way I possibly have the only one like that. :)

mushroom_toy
08-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Vigor bar going in shortly! Will get plenty of pics.

87lxiaccord
08-18-2007, 09:44 PM
buick regals have strut bars!

mushroom_toy
08-18-2007, 10:00 PM
buick regals have strut bars!

Too bad I didnt check any american cars today. T_T

knarg
08-18-2007, 10:43 PM
do you guys think the 4g suspension techniques bars would fit? yes?

they are about 27mm front and 20.6mm rear

MessyHonda
08-19-2007, 12:51 AM

the rear one is like 22mm i think...cuz i was looking at it. im not sure about the front. i need to get more money so i can order it and test it out

mushroom_toy
08-19-2007, 04:27 AM

Dont know if front will fit, but rear should.

87LXiR
08-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Dont know if front will fit, but rear should.

I tried both the frony and rear, they didnt fit. The 4g sway bars were slightly longer, about an inch or so. I couldnt get them to fit but i say hit up the jy and give it a shot. I also tried a 5g front sway bar which is MUCH thicker ( guessing id say26mm) was also too long. And tried the rear sway bar of two generations of Acura Legends( 88 and 93 i think), both of them were also about an inch longer then the 3g. Again, maybe i was doing something wrong but from my experience they dont fit.

Good luck

ps: howd that vigor bar affect your cars handling? ive been looking for one for months at the jy, but i guess they must have trashed all the Vigors in the San Fernando Valley seing as how there wasnt even A vigor in the jy.

mushroom_toy
08-19-2007, 06:44 AM
I tried both the frony and rear, they didnt fit. The 4g sway bars were slightly longer, about an inch or so. I couldnt get them to fit but i say hit up the jy and give it a shot. I also tried a 5g front sway bar which is MUCH thicker ( guessing id say26mm) was also too long. And tried the rear sway bar of two generations of Acura Legends( 88 and 93 i think), both of them were also about an inch longer then the 3g. Again, maybe i was doing something wrong but from my experience they dont fit.

Good luck

ps: howd that vigor bar affect your cars handling? ive been looking for one for months at the jy, but i guess they must have trashed all the Vigors in the San Fernando Valley seing as how there wasnt even A vigor in the jy.

It makes the car much stiffer. I need to get used to driving it. I dont hear as much squealing now! I did mess up last night and lost control of my car, but thankfully I only curbed one of my rims a bit. I need to get a little more used to this bar and the way it affects the cars stability.