PDA

View Full Version : Project, 5th Gen Map Sensor

mushroom_toy
08-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Hihi everyone. Well to start off with I know the map sensor thing is kinda played out but oh well lol. Anyway I was wondering well since the 4g map sensor tricks the computer such and you can feel a gain, then the 5th gen map sensor should as well maybe even a little more. I couldnt find anything about it on the forums when I searched so sorry if it has been done before. Comparing the two: 5g top, 4g bottom

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-1-59.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-2-45.jpg

I have decided to start a new project involving more than just the 5th gen map sensor, but some ideas must remain secret for now! :) If i get to make a stop at the jy tomorrow, the project will most likely be done by Sunday morning. Maybe the 5g map will give even more power/rape my mpg. Wonders if anyone has tried it yet?

A20A1
08-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Are you going to try the 5th gen TPS and distributor, or whatever the new accord uses also?

mushroom_toy
08-18-2007, 07:52 AM
^Nothing that extreme just yet, but everyone should see when I get back from the jy today. :)

mushroom_toy
08-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Well its time to show the secret. kind of a crappy secret but oh well. Here is my idea and what it looks like. I made a harness to plug into original map sensor harness, and any of the 3 map sensors can be used (one at a time of course.) The car runs on each map sensor, and driving test will be done tonight. I will be making a switch later on to add to the harness, so I can switch between the three map sensors. Cheers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-1-60.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-2-46.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-3-42.jpg

With 4th and 5th gen map sensors attached. (3rd gen is on car.) Of course you wouldnt run all three or 2 sensors at the same time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-12-11.jpg

Will let you guys know more about the 5th gen map sensor later tonight.

A18A
08-18-2007, 06:31 PM
lol i was thinking of something like that haha, are you gonna have all 3 vacuum lines in the manifold at the same time? you should try running all 3 at the same time =P

blh1983
08-18-2007, 06:53 PM
This is an interesting idea. Keep us posted on this. I'm more curious about the 5G map sensor and if it adds a noticable difference. I'm going to be listing something up for sale that you might be interested in. So keep an eye out for a post that I'll be putting up in just a few minutes.

mushroom_toy
08-18-2007, 08:38 PM
This is an interesting idea. Keep us posted on this. I'm more curious about the 5G map sensor and if it adds a noticable difference. I'm going to be listing something up for sale that you might be interested in. So keep an eye out for a post that I'll be putting up in just a few minutes.

I posted on it./

mushroom_toy
08-18-2007, 08:39 PM
lol i was thinking of something like that haha, are you gonna have all 3 vacuum lines in the manifold at the same time? you should try running all 3 at the same time =P

Dont think I'll run all three lol. Something bad might happen. But when I get to it I'll have them switched with 3 vac. lines running to all and just switch them for track use/other.

mushroom_toy
08-18-2007, 08:41 PM
On a note about the 5th gen map sensor. I did feel a power increase but not as much gain as when I switched to the 4g. The 5g feels like it added more torque to be honest. My wheels almost started to spin in an auto...in d4, never had that happen before. All in all it was worth it for free. :) It feels like it might have boosted the power up a little form the 4g. And my harness works perfectly and does exactly what it is supposed to do. I just plug one in and play!

MessyHonda
08-19-2007, 12:42 AM
i already Dynoed this mod.

A18A
08-19-2007, 01:10 AM
even the 5th gen map sensor? i remember seeing the 4th gen one but not the 5th gen one

A20A1
08-19-2007, 03:05 AM
On a note about the 5th gen map sensor. I did feel a power increase but not as much gain as when I switched to the 4g. The 5g feels like it added more torque to be honest. My wheels almost started to spin in an auto...in d4, never had that happen before. All in all it was worth it for free. :) It feels like it might have boosted the power up a little form the 4g. And my harness works perfectly and does exactly what it is supposed to do. I just plug one in and play!

I'm not surprised you unlocked the low end potential of the A20 :)

No one ever believes me but you can spin tires in the auto, with carbed motor, reguardless if carbs need pressure or not, if you add a Dial IN pressure regulator. Only downfall is a short life span because the fuel supply will lock up on you later on and then drain the fuel bowl, but till then enjoy the power. I stand by my statement though, because I've tested it 3 times with two of same reg. I have 2 because I thought the first one was defective.
Only later to find on an RX-7 forum someone had the same results.

sadly if the defect is what causes the bump in performance then it'll mean other regulators that don't lock up wont work :(

mushroom_toy
08-19-2007, 04:26 AM
i already Dynoed this mod.

Thought you only dynoed the 4th gen sensor.

mushroom_toy
08-19-2007, 04:26 AM

No one ever believes me but you can spin tires in the auto, with carbed motor, reguardless if carbs need pressure or not, if you add a Dial IN pressure regulator. Only downfall is a short life span because the fuel supply will lock up on you later on and then drain the fuel bowl, but till then enjoy the power. I stand by my statement though, because I've tested it 3 times with two of same reg. I have 2 because I thought the first one was defective.

sadly if the defect is what causes the bump in performance then it'll mean other regulators that don't lock up wont work :(

Indeed was fun, although they didnt spin but I could feel the tires slipping a bit.

MessyHonda
08-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Thought you only dynoed the 4th gen sensor.

yeah just the 4th gen.

didnt all 90-97 accords come with the same engine the f22.

mushroom_toy
08-19-2007, 09:43 AM
yeah just the 4th gen.

didnt all 90-97 accords come with the same engine the f22.

Dont know. Anyway I took it out of a 5th gen accord, and its diff. Even if the engine is the same the map sensor is different.

coope
08-19-2007, 03:17 PM
wow nice give us a how to on this

hanginbyaccord
08-19-2007, 05:43 PM
How To Please!

LX-incredible
08-19-2007, 08:17 PM
didnt all 90-97 accords come with the same engine the f22. Yes, but the later models were OBD II.

mushroom_toy
08-19-2007, 09:14 PM
I'll do a how to tomorrow...im tired!

MessyHonda
08-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Dont know. Anyway I took it out of a 5th gen accord, and its diff. Even if the engine is the same the map sensor is different.

maybe because its like OBD1 stuff.

mushroom_toy
08-20-2007, 04:45 PM
^guess so. Its a lot smaller than the 3g and 4g ones, i like it better lol.

lostforawhile
08-20-2007, 06:06 PM

sadly if the defect is what causes the bump in performance then it'll mean other regulators that don't lock up wont work :( this works,the problem is the fuel pump sucks. thats why you run out of fuel. you need the holley low pressure regulator for this to work correctly. 2-5 psi. i run 3 psi. i am putting in a walbro underbdy pump with more fuel flow capability to solve this problem.

mushroom_toy
08-20-2007, 08:25 PM
HOW TO IS HERE ----->>>> http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61700

DDRaptor
08-21-2007, 04:12 AM
I don't have FI but why does the different map sensors give power increases??

mushroom_toy
08-21-2007, 06:39 AM
I don't have FI but why does the different map sensors give power increases??

Because they basically tell the computer to dump more fuel.

DDRaptor
08-21-2007, 06:46 AM
these sensors measure airflow right?? so are the ranges of output are different. I'm thinking this sensor works like an potentiometer, or am i totally out in left field on this.

mushroom_toy
08-21-2007, 06:54 AM
I believe you're right. I think basically it just sends different electrical signals, so if yo could measure the signals voltage and replicate it , it would probably do the same thing.

cygnus x-1
08-21-2007, 10:01 AM
these sensors measure airflow right?? so are the ranges of output are different. I'm thinking this sensor works like an potentiometer, or am i totally out in left field on this.

MAP is an acronym for Manifold Absolute Pressure. A MAP sensor measures the pressure inside the intake manifold using ideal vacuum as a reference, which is why it's called absolute pressure. It's analogous to the Kelvin scale for temperature.

They don't measure airflow directly, but the airflow can be figured out based on manifold pressure and air temperature. So the computer uses MAP and intake air temperature (among other things) to know how much air is going into the cylinders, and therefore how much fuel to inject. So if you can alter the MAP or air temperature signals, you can change the amount of fuel injected.

Honestly I have to say that I'm a little skeptical about the effectiveness of swapping MAP sensors. I can't see why later generations of engines would use a sensor with only slightly different characteristics. I would expect them to either be the same or radically different. But a few people have tried this with supposedly positive results, so I can't really argue with that. It would be interesting though to do a pressure to resistance comparison of the different sensors. Something to do in my spare time. :)

C|

DDRaptor
08-21-2007, 10:51 AM
It would be interesting though to do a pressure to resistance comparison of the different sensors. Something to do in my spare time. :)

C|

bingo that's exactly what I was thinking then you can build and sell a potentiomter like those chips that mess with the IAT sensor that they sell on ebay. lol it's amazing how easy electronics can be tricked. Variable resistors rock. :)

mushroom_toy
08-21-2007, 11:52 AM
MAP is an acronym for Manifold Absolute Pressure. A MAP sensor measures the pressure inside the intake manifold using ideal vacuum as a reference, which is why it's called absolute pressure. It's analogous to the Kelvin scale for temperature.

They don't measure airflow directly, but the airflow can be figured out based on manifold pressure and air temperature. So the computer uses MAP and intake air temperature (among other things) to know how much air is going into the cylinders, and therefore how much fuel to inject. So if you can alter the MAP or air temperature signals, you can change the amount of fuel injected.

Honestly I have to say that I'm a little skeptical about the effectiveness of swapping MAP sensors. I can't see why later generations of engines would use a sensor with only slightly different characteristics. I would expect them to either be the same or radically different. But a few people have tried this with supposedly positive results, so I can't really argue with that. It would be interesting though to do a pressure to resistance comparison of the different sensors. Something to do in my spare time. :)

C|

Trust me I was skeptical too, but after doing this and making a simple harness to use either of the 3 I have, it just makes things much easier. There is definitely a gain in power, in which i will try to get dyno results on the 25th hopefully, if I can come up with $30.

lostforawhile
08-21-2007, 01:36 PM
map sensors have a voltage output,usually 5 volts in from the computer,which is a standard logic voltage,and the output voltage varies with vaccume to the sensor. for example on our 98 civic,you measure output voltage of the sensor,by removing it and hooking a mitivac to the vaccume input tube on the sensor body,then with the key on,to supply 5 volts in from the computer,you watch the output voltage on a multimeter and compare it to the ammount of vaccume you apply with the mitivac.

mushroom_toy
08-21-2007, 01:42 PM
map sensors have a voltage output,usually 5 volts in from the computer,which is a standard logic voltage,and the output voltage varies with vaccume to the sensor. for example on our 98 civic,you measure output voltage of the sensor,by removing it and hooking a mitivac to the vaccume input tube on the sensor body,then with the key on,to supply 5 volts in from the computer,you watch the output voltage on a multimeter and compare it to the ammount of vaccume you apply with the mitivac.

Nice. Lost at Commece Dragstrip there having Tunerfest on the 25th, if you can try to make it out, I'm hoping a couple 3rd gen accord and preludes will be able to make it out, as well as a lot of others. http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115863