PDA

View Full Version : headgasket

Civic Accord Honda
08-21-2007, 12:20 PM
hey y'all just wonder how hard is it to do a head gasket? is there a how to anywhere i searched but could not find anything it kept timing out :(

BITESIZE
08-21-2007, 12:23 PM
This would be hard for you. Don't do it.

evil88accordLX
08-21-2007, 12:40 PM
well you would have to remove the head, so you would have to drain the coolant, relieve the fuel pressure, remove the valve cover, intake and exhaust manifolds, top half of timing cover, timing belt, and the head itself. you would need to clean the mating surfaces, replace all the gaskets you removed, and reset the timing. if you are carbed, there are more hoses to deal with than FI. it can be done in a day if you know what you are doing, and if you dont really, just take your time and give yourself like a week so you dont get overwhelmed.

Civic Accord Honda
08-22-2007, 03:48 PM
if i do it i want to get another head from like a junkyard and have it rebuilt with new valves and shit

russiankid
08-22-2007, 03:50 PM
if i do it i want to get another head from like a junkyard and have it rebuilt with new valves and shit

Do a compression test before you do that to see if it is worth it.

Civic Accord Honda
08-22-2007, 03:53 PM
yeah i need to get a better tester

89T
08-22-2007, 06:54 PM
you dont need to take all the hoses off. just remove the black box off the firewall and unplug the harness.(there are acouple that you do need to disconnect (I.E.charcoal canister, master cylender.))
as for the intake and exhaust manifolds you can leave them on the head.
set your timming to tdc before you remove anything.(make sure the arrow or "up" on the cam gear is inline with the valve cover bolts.)mark a rib on the t-belt then slide it off the gear carefully(put a bungee cord on it to keep the belt tight on the crank.) and make sure it is in the same position when you reinstall it. as for swaping everything over to another head, it's easier to do it on a work bench.

Civic Accord Honda
08-22-2007, 09:02 PM
what i plan to do is:
get a used head from the junk yard take it to a shop have them rebuld it and install new valves and shit so its redy to be installed also since im there i want to replace the water pump and timing belt since my pump has a bad barring and my timing belt is due

labeledsk8r
08-22-2007, 09:18 PM
for one you should pick up a hynes book for the accord helped me out alot for the first time i did a head gasket, has all the tourqe numbers and such your gona need. also how much money are you dumping in this car? things add up quick when ou say oh ima just do this and that while im at it, so just think before you start spending, if your trying to get the car runnig to sell then spend bare min. have fun if you do this

snoopyloopy
08-22-2007, 09:20 PM
yeah, i'm gonna change the hg on my eclipse soon, i'll let you know how it goes. sure as hell beats the ~$1100 the dealer quoted me.

Civic Accord Honda
08-22-2007, 10:12 PM
yeah, i'm gonna change the hg on my eclipse soon, i'll let you know how it goes. sure as hell beats the ~$1100 the dealer quoted me.
yeah i called around out here thay told me $3500 i told them to fuck off il do it myself and hung up lol

evil88accordLX
08-23-2007, 06:55 AM
you dont need to take all the hoses off. just remove the black box off the firewall and unplug the harness.(there are acouple that you do need to disconnect (I.E.charcoal canister, master cylender.))
as for the intake and exhaust manifolds you can leave them on the head.

i just feel that is easier to get the head out without all that extra stuff connected to it. but if he is new to this and has enough brawn, yeah leave it connected. but if he wants to rebuild a head, it all has to come off anyhow. sometimes its just a bitch to get the head itself off, so the less crap attached to it the better i think.

A18A
08-23-2007, 07:25 AM
i would pull it all off at once, then pull it apart with it separated out of the engine

89T
08-24-2007, 03:54 AM
i would pull it all off at once, then pull it apart with it separated out of the engine
yea it is alot easier to do it this way!

it should only take about a half hour to pull it all at once.

for a head gasket all you need to do is unbolt and tip it back, clean, drop a new gasket and rebolt.

Kemikals
08-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Just remember, every bolt you take out, put it back exactly where you found it :)

88Accord-DX
08-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Just remember, every bolt you take out, put it back exactly where you found it :)
That & CAH, make sure you label every hose with masking tap to where it goes. That will help in the re-install. When you take the head gasket off, be carefull not to knick the head with the razor knife to deep. It is real important to clean it good. Hopefully it's not warped, cause you'll need a strait-edge to check it. Get the metal gasket by Fel-pro. Use a torque wrench to torque to specifications & in proper senquence. (now lets see it happen)

PIC for head & intake taken off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/A20A1intakebottom.jpg

Civic Accord Honda
08-24-2007, 06:16 PM
thanks everyone the project is on hold right now untel winter or untel mine blows wich ever comes 1st lol

snoopyloopy
08-25-2007, 03:21 PM
arp headstuds ftw while you're at it...

MessyHonda
08-26-2007, 12:56 AM

come on its CAH....and shit ....i was thinking about some studs but im not going turbo....the stock ones should hold just fine.

Civic Accord Honda
08-26-2007, 01:02 AM
im thinking more like oem replacement lol

HondaBoy
08-26-2007, 02:41 PM
yeah, in all experiences, i'd recommend replacing the studs. whether it be head studs, intake or exhaust manifold. like like to break off after you've retorqued them. so i never make that mistake again. the honda ones should be fine. i had to order mine though for my exhaust manifold. so why do you think you need to replace the head gasket?