PDA

View Full Version : Save my accord!!!

che3wy
08-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Ok many of you know that my car was stolen and recovered. Now im in a pickle

My dad, (title owner) doesnt want to keep the car. reason being that it is a hassle to keep. i know i know everyone is gonna bash on how easy it is blah blah blah but he feels its too much trouble, but it is him that im trying to convince, not myself. the deal with the insurance company is as follows

my understanding is that the insurance company is offering around $1400 for the vehicle. and if we were to keep the car then i think its like $1250 and the vehicle will be considered salvaged.

yeah i know the money is very tempting.

if we were to keep the car we have to go through all these certifications on the vehicle in order to keep it. i did some research and found that in order to have a car certified to become salvaged you need the following: correct me if im wrong

-smog certification
-brake certification
-light certification

also the addition repairs are:
-ignition replacement along with rekey all the locks. (estimated at $500)
-body damage to the left rear wheel area. (plan on doing myself)

i know taking a salvage title is somthing painful but after thinking about it i know im not gonna sell this car unless i absolutley need to. other than that im gonna drive it to the 500,000 mile mark or to the ground which ever comes first

i need some opinions mostly from the older guys cuz you guys probably know more about this.

here are my questions:
-is the process to recertify a vehicle for salvage title expensive and difficult? (if you got prices i greatly appreciate it)
- is it hard to find places to do the recertification?
- anyone know of any hook ups they got to help me keep this?
- if anyone has ever done the salvage title process before PLEASE let me know and i need as much information as i can get.

my dad is a practical guy, he measures costs and benefits and i need to prove to him that keeping the vehicle is a better choice than taking the insurance money. money is not an issue in the family. he feels that putting money into the car is not worth it. however if i can convince him that the insurance money is more than enough to restore the vehicle to certified running condition then i have a chance.

shepherd79
08-22-2007, 07:10 AM
I am not sure about certification cost and what you need to do, but I have to Agree with your dad. if your car has salvage title, just junk the car. I had a hard time letting my car go, but I had to do. Newer car would be a lot better, trust me.

Just take the money and use it to buy a newer car.

evil88accordLX
08-22-2007, 07:32 AM
keep the car and buy it from you dad for the $150 difference. he will still be $1400 richer, and you will have the car. i dont understand why a stolen car would need a salvage title, especially if your dad has the title for the car. usually that only falls upon cars that have been totalled. sounds like the insurance company is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. after all, just because it has been stolen its still not their car unless it was involved in an accident and is considered totalled. even then you can research the used car market in your area and probably find the average market value to be more than they offer you for the car. you can usually get a dealer (new car lot w/ used cars, not jim bobs used car emporium) to help you with this.

MessyHonda
08-22-2007, 08:32 AM
well if you plan on keeping it just salvage it....but that just means you wont ever get your money back unless you part it out. keep a hatch on the streets!

Pico
08-22-2007, 09:24 AM
it all comes down to what you really want, do you plan on keeping the car for a long time? are you going to get tired of it in a few months/years.....?
Like Messy said do the salvage and keep the car, not too many of these around in the clean condition yours is in.

Cheeseburger
08-22-2007, 09:27 AM
dam another one bites the dust with the insurance company. How much is it going to take to fix your car back to normal? I would say if you really want to keep the car screw the insurance company and fix it yourself. About the certifications i think your local DMV would be able to give you more information on that. I am dealing with this issue too. i really don't want to have my car salvaged. The insurance company wants to give me $1,700 but thats not going to be enough to fix the car. I gave them until this Friday to come to an agreement, if they don't respond i will be suing the lady who hit me

frantik
08-22-2007, 09:57 AM
if money's not a problem you should have just fixed it yourself and not contacted your insurance.. :dunno: seems like contacting insurance for our cars can be a death sentence since almost all repairs to our cars done at a shop cost nearly as much as the car

Civic Accord Honda
08-22-2007, 11:39 AM
id say keep it salvage title means shit our 3gee hatch got a salvage after it was totaled the 1st time in 1992 also my geo had one and so did are trecel and thay where all good cars still ..
but if you want easy id say take the $1500 and buy another hatch and transfer all your parts over.

(i asked my step dad if he remembered about the process of getting a salvage but he did not remember what he had to do to get it)

ghettogeddy
08-22-2007, 11:50 AM

My dad, (title owner) doesnt want to keep the car. reason being that it is a hassle to keep. i know i know everyone is gonna bash on how easy it is blah blah blah but he feels its too much trouble, but it is him that im trying to convince, not myself. the deal with the insurance company is as follows

my understanding is that the insurance company is offering around $1400 for the vehicle. and if we were to keep the car then i think its like $1250 and the vehicle will be considered salvaged.

if we were to keep the car we have to go through all these certifications on the vehicle in order to keep it. i did some research and found that in order to have a car certified to become salvaged you need the following: correct me if im wrong

-smog certification
-brake certification
-light certification

i know taking a salvage title is somthing painful but after thinking about it i know im not gonna sell this car unless i absolutley need to. other than that im gonna drive it to the 500,000 mile mark or to the ground which ever comes first

i need some opinions mostly from the older guys cuz you guys probably know more about this.

here are my questions:
-is the process to recertify a vehicle for salvage title expensive and difficult? (if you got prices i greatly appreciate it)
- if anyone has ever done the salvage title process before PLEASE let me know and i need as much information as i can get.

my dad is a practical guy, he measures costs and benefits and i need to prove to him that keeping the vehicle is a better choice than taking the insurance money. money is not an issue in the family. he feels that putting money into the car is not worth it. however if i can convince him that the insurance money is more than enough to restore the vehicle to certified running condition then i have a chance.
like i siad befor dont re key all the locks just swap the ingintion and have 2 key for more security and save the 500 for a 2way pager alarm

MessyHonda
08-22-2007, 04:05 PM
like i siad befor dont re key all the locks just swap the ingintion and have 2 key for more security and save the 500 for a 2way pager alarm

he already has an alarm system....same kind of mine....but i have relays on mine so even if they get it they wont be able to start it with out by passing it and most thefts will just leave. im doing the keyless mod on my car. im 50% done since i already fixed the passenger side.

JTM
08-22-2007, 07:45 PM

-smog certification
-brake certification
-light certification

here are my questions:

Chewy I'm going through a salvage title right now. In CT it's an 88 dollar fee to get it inspected and 10 extra dollars if the car is 10 years or older. So 98 for a inspection fee. (to unsalvage it). Then you need to redo emissions most likely. Sounds easy. But you can't drive the car on the road or have any tire touching the road unless you have dealer or repair plates and are the owner of the dealership etc. If you don't have those then you must use a flatbed truck to bring it to the dmv. At least in CT.

che3wy
08-23-2007, 12:22 AM
if money's not a problem you should have just fixed it yourself and not contacted your insurance.. :dunno: seems like contacting insurance for our cars can be a death sentence since almost all repairs to our cars done at a shop cost nearly as much as the car

the reason why the insurance company knows was cuz we had to report it stolen. of course i dont want the insurance company involved but because it was reported stolen to police i had to report a lost vehicle to the insurance company to protect us incase of anything bad ie. car crash into a buuilding or damaging property

frantik
08-23-2007, 02:03 AM
ah word

MessyHonda
08-23-2007, 06:03 AM
man that blows. yesterday i fixed some of the wires for my alarm. cuz it was all over the place. now my antenna is up....and hidden.

evil88accordLX
08-23-2007, 06:11 AM
the reason why the insurance company knows was cuz we had to report it stolen. of course i dont want the insurance company involved but because it was reported stolen to police i had to report a lost vehicle to the insurance company to protect us incase of anything bad ie. car crash into a buuilding or damaging property

but if you just report it to them and dont file a claim on the car, they shouldnt be up in your business at all. especially if you have posession of the car and they dont.

che3wy
08-23-2007, 06:49 AM
but if you just report it to them and dont file a claim on the car, they shouldnt be up in your business at all. especially if you have posession of the car and they dont.

even still the police report will change the status of the vehicle at the DMV and then the insurance will notice the change. doesnt matter any more now...

evil88accordLX
08-23-2007, 07:01 AM
i hate insurance companies. they can eat the ass end of a dead horse.