PDA

View Full Version : Just want to thank the AC gods

Oldblueaccord
08-24-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't know what is up this year but the damn AC in the car has been flat out freezing. Its been record setting 3 day 100 temps. I guess I just got lucky this year. Usually in the spring its flat and I have to add 2 cans (134) to get it rolling and then add about 2-3 cans over the course of the summer. This spring I didn't need to add any and not one can all summer. On the way to work today 9 mile trip I had to turn it down one notch on the fan :wave:

wp

knarg
08-25-2007, 12:25 AM
my air conditioning is so damn good, i have to go on low after only a few minutes in 100F heat. it gets so cold, its amazing!

MessyHonda
08-25-2007, 12:46 AM
you dont need A/C in the bay area.

2oodoor
08-25-2007, 02:33 AM
I don't know what is up this year but the damn AC in the car has been flat out freezing. Its been record setting 3 day 100 temps. I guess I just got lucky this year. Usually in the spring its flat and I have to add 2 cans (134) to get it rolling and then add about 2-3 cans over the course of the summer. This spring I didn't need to add any and not one can all summer. On the way to work today 9 mile trip I had to turn it down one notch on the fan :wave:

wp
This is good to know you are getting good performance with 134, Nippo Or OEM compressor?
you better knock on wood it aint over yet!!! we have had 3 weeks of 100 degree plus heat, it is maddening.
I used to do without AC but it really helps with road rage.. lol.. I could do without it if I didnt have to run errands probably.
I havnt been driving the Accord, AC doesnt work although it may I never really tryed it, I was going to do some work on the front engine (oil pump sealing, cam belt and gear, and put a belt on the AC but it is too hot to even work on it) The guy I bought it from said he kept putting money into the AC with nothing but problems, he said it kept locking up and crap... I discovered last summer when I did the head and intake that the compressor was loose the whlole time, that may be all that is wrong.. not my luck really though.

mushroom_toy
08-25-2007, 04:53 AM
You are all lucky...I dont have ac anymore.....it was 102 3 days ago and I was sweating like a dog.

89hondaSOHC
08-25-2007, 08:14 AM
lol 100 huh? That sounds like a good day to me. Its 115 on average over here in phoenix and i work OUTSIDE. Its pouring right now though thatnk god.

DDRaptor
08-25-2007, 08:39 AM
lol 100 huh? That sounds like a good day to me. Its 115 on average over here in phoenix and i work OUTSIDE. Its pouring right now though thatnk god.

hey at least it's dry heat. try 100 in new york city right next to the atlantic. god it's like 120 heat index cause of the 95% humidity.

SHit i know a bunch of guys here who are planning on going to AZ i'm thinking about it too i can have an eco house full of solar panels.

Oldblueaccord
08-25-2007, 04:20 PM
This is good to know you are getting good performance with 134, Nippo Or OEM compressor?
you better knock on wood it aint over yet!!! we have had 3 weeks of 100 degree plus heat, it is maddening.
I used to do without AC but it really helps with road rage.. lol.. I could do without it if I didnt have to run errands probably.
I havnt been driving the Accord, AC doesnt work although it may I never really tryed it, I was going to do some work on the front engine (oil pump sealing, cam belt and gear, and put a belt on the AC but it is too hot to even work on it) The guy I bought it from said he kept putting money into the AC with nothing but problems, he said it kept locking up and crap... I discovered last summer when I did the head and intake that the compressor was loose the whlole time, that may be all that is wrong.. not my luck really though.

Its 134a and the compressor I have no idea.Its used one I got for a 100$. The whole thing was converted about 10 years ago when If you used 134a your compressor would catch fire< your family would die, and the EPA would put you in jail. I am surprised because usually at around 92-94 the ac does not work as well and is marginal. I have no idea what is making do such a good job. I swore last year that I would clean the junk outta the box and all but I never did it of course and its running. I have been parking with the right front lower so maybe more of the moisture is running out than normal. I usually have to fiddle with the drain a couple times a year.

wp

russiankid
08-25-2007, 04:41 PM
It hit up to 105F here with humidity, and i was nice and cool in the car :)

ghettogeddy
08-25-2007, 05:37 PM
you dont need A/C in the bay area.

hahahahahahaha i was thinking the same thing

LX-incredible
08-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Its 134a and the compressor I have no idea.Its used one I got for a 100$. The whole thing was converted about 10 years ago when If you used 134a your compressor would catch fire< your family would die, and the EPA would put you in jail. I am surprised because usually at around 92-94 the ac does not work as well and is marginal. I have no idea what is making do such a good job. I swore last year that I would clean the junk outta the box and all but I never did it of course and its running. I have been parking with the right front lower so maybe more of the moisture is running out than normal. I usually have to fiddle with the drain a couple times a year.

wp

The AC in most vehicles will be colder with a slightly low charge. There is a greater pressure differential, resulting in a greater temperature differential. The problem is it can start rapid cycling on cooler days, when the airflow through the condenser is increased, when blower speed is decreased, or at higher engine RPMs.

H2289Acc
01-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Sorry, but I wasn't sure where to put this. Was wondering if anybody knows...before I put my dash back in, can I remove the evaporator box and still keep my heat? I'm asking because I think the vents for the heating run through it as well, don't they? What A/C components can I remove from under the dash without affecting my heat?

Thanks

Greg

newaccorddriver
01-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Sorry, but I wasn't sure where to put this. Was wondering if anybody knows...before I put my dash back in, can I remove the evaporator box and still keep my heat? I'm asking because I think the vents for the heating run through it as well, don't they? What A/C components can I remove from under the dash without affecting my heat?

Thanks

Greg

yes, what your thinking of is the heater core. removing that will give you no heat, but removing the evaporator gives you no more AC. feel free to yank out every AC part to your hearts content, but unless your going to race or anything, that extra weight wont do much

H2289Acc
01-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks.

RamThis
01-16-2008, 10:22 PM
yeah friend of mine has some homebrew R-12 to R-134A connections, so we could evacuate the system, add in some fresh PAG oil, and refill with some R-134A with UV Dye to check for any new leaks. Prior to this, I replaced the manifold gasket on the AC Compressor because it leaked like a sumbitch. AC was putting out about 40* air on a 102F day, sitting in the shop idling. We drove the car from Fort Worth to Clovis NM, then from there to Roswell NM in July of 2006. With me, wife, 2 year old, all our luggage, cooler full of drinks and snacks, etc, car zipped along and we stayed nice and cool.

Shame that the car died a couple weeks later driving it to work......

Hope the refrigerant is still full when I remount the compressor and drop the other engine in this year so I dont have to screw with it!!