PDA

View Full Version : distributor

igarut5410
08-25-2007, 01:22 PM
well my distubutor is starting to crap out and its time for a new one...
I might as well buy an aftermarket one....
I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to what distrubutor i should get...
examples.... msd ect

LX-incredible
08-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Good luck with that, our dizzys are expensive, and there is no performance ones whatsoever. TRY NOT TO BUY A CARDONE REMAN, do a search, many members including myself, have had problems with them. I have 3 completely rebuilt, except for the advance springs, and I still can't find the damn things. If anyone could point me in the right direction for these, it would be much appreciated.

A20A1
08-25-2007, 02:05 PM
We don't have a distributor market like domestic cars... so you're out of luck.

Depending if your carb or fuel injected you could pick up an EFI distributor, it will work for both cars, but probably if you're carbed just get a carbed distributor. EFI needs efi distributor.

shepherd79
08-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Good luck with that, our dizzys are expensive, and there is no performance ones whatsoever. TRY NOT TO BUY A CARDONE REMAN, do a search, many members including myself, have had problems with them. I have 3 completely rebuilt, except for the advance springs, and I still can't find the damn things. If anyone could point me in the right direction for these, it would be much appreciated.

if you wait a few more days i will post how to and solution for distributor springs.

igarut5410
08-25-2007, 07:39 PM
I have no problem getting an oem distibutor... I work at a shop and I priced an AC delco one for 145 my price... but I was wondering if there were any aftermarket ones for our cars... oh... btw... my car is efi

LX-incredible
08-25-2007, 08:41 PM
if you wait a few more days i will post how to and solution for distributor springs.

That would be awesome!

LX-incredible
08-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I have no problem getting an oem distibutor... I work at a shop and I priced an AC delco one for 145 my price... but I was wondering if there were any aftermarket ones for our cars... oh... btw... my car is efi
There are no aftermarket dizzys for our cars. $145 is a good price, if it's the EFI.

MessyHonda
08-26-2007, 01:23 AM
obd1 swap...im telling you guys...lol

Secondaries
09-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Hey Messy, any updates on your new dizzy? I'm itchin' to get things rolling and I need to know how much to start saving lol.

MessyHonda
09-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Hey Messy, any updates on your new dizzy? I'm itchin' to get things rolling and I need to know how much to start saving lol.

its in a friends house in storage...but my cam took a dump on me so i cant take pics

rjudgey
09-06-2007, 01:41 AM
You guy's crazy there's loads of aftermarket dizzy's it's just none of them use a dizzy!! All you got to do is get a crank fired ignition kit from Megajolt i think then rig up a crank trigger disk and sensor get some parts from good old mr ford job done, if you wnat something with a name on it, then electro motive do igntion only kits as do lots of other aftermarket makes.

The great thing about these crank fired kits is no dizzy and no dizzy parts to replace ever!! no caps rotors or springs to wear out so it will pay for itself after few hundred thousand miles !!

cygnus x-1
09-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Tell 'em Rich! EDIS is by far the way to go for stand alone ignition. Nearly all the parts are available from the junkyard. The hardest part is getting the trigger wheel and sensor mounted up. But once you have that, throw in a Megajolt Lite box and you have fully programmable electronic distributorless ignition. Now you can have any amount of advance you want at any RPM and manifold pressure.

C|

2oodoor
09-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Tell 'em Rich! EDIS is by far the way to go for stand alone ignition. Nearly all the parts are available from the junkyard. The hardest part is getting the trigger wheel and sensor mounted up. But once you have that, throw in a Megajolt Lite box and you have fully programmable electronic distributorless ignition. Now you can have any amount of advance you want at any RPM and manifold pressure.

C|

hey do you think this system could have potential say on a carbed, turbo set up? something to make the car DD, mutliuse..
I am trying to remember a ford thunderbird with carb and turbo 2.3 liter, did that car use EDIS crank trigger?
edit,, wasnt a carbed t bird, nevermind

cygnus x-1
09-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Don't know about the Ford but an EDIS setup is perfect for carbed cars, boosted or not. The megajolt uses a 10x10 MAP vs RPM table to set timing advance. Good stuff.

C|

2oodoor
09-09-2007, 02:33 PM
yes, I am sure before I went and bought a new dizzy for 150 plus duckies, I would put a little more in and get crank trigger set up.
The t-birds were supercoupes, 86-88 models , came with 4banger, turbo. I was thinking they were carbed. I did a little searching for carb turbo advice and came across some interesting stuff, it is indeed a doo-able project but as is supercharging. time to hit the junkyards