PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love overheating

88accordSF
08-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Cruisin at 45mph, i start smellin a bit o coolant, and presto, here comes the smoke from the hood. Glancing at the temp gauge reveals the temp 2/3s of the way up to "H". pull over for the 10 minute cooldown, add coolant and make the drive home.

...$270 dollars and 4 hours of labor later...

just finished installing a new Koyo radiator, new fan temp switch, 180 degree thermostat, new upper hose, prestone extended life antifreeze. let the car idle for about 10 minutes and the fan didn't kick on, but the temp stayed nice n low right at the bottom of the D3 gear mark (where its always hovered at)

definitely time to build another motor PRONTO, in case the head slightly got warped

the new lower radiator hose i got from Napa is about 2" short... but its the right part number, make, model, year, etc... same thing with Kragen's hose.... wtf?

:banghead:

on another note: purchased the accord less than 5 months ago, already spent $3026 parts alone and put in 65.5 hours of labor. damn.

A20A1
08-26-2007, 02:31 AM
I know this is after the fact but

gotta be careful to rely on our temp sensor since the temp sensor for the manifold might not get coolant when coolant is low or there is a leak or air pockets, so the guage can be reading cool sometimes when it's actually much much hotter.

It's always a good practice to check the radiator level and look under the car for leaks, other that A/C leaking. Also if you hear any belt squealing you might want to check the belts.

2oodoor
08-26-2007, 02:49 AM
wow , that is a lot of patience and dedication $3026 worth of it :o)
The car looks good, beats a car payment... your motor may not be so much to worry about.. sounds like you have done all the same things the rest of us have had to do with a used Accord.
I see you have done your own work under there so you are paying attention, you probably know when something is going on now

88accordSF
08-26-2007, 09:44 AM
gotta be careful to rely on our temp sensor since the temp sensor for the manifold might not get coolant when coolant is low or there is a leak or air pockets, so the guage can be reading cool sometimes when it's actually much much hotter.

It's always a good practice to check the radiator level and look under the car for leaks, other that A/C leaking. Also if you hear any belt squealing you might want to check the belts.

did the initial coolant fill with the bleed valve open per service manual, waited for that to puke a few drops of water, closed it up, ran the car. waited for the for car to cool, added a bit of water to the radiator, ran it again. hopefully that should keep the air pockets out

no leaks so far.

ghettogeddy
08-26-2007, 10:19 AM
how much u pay for the koyo

bobafett
08-26-2007, 10:41 AM
honda oem radiator hose ftw. :)