PDA

View Full Version : 3G job I don't ever want to do again

w261w261
08-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm not much of a complainer, but I just gotta go on about this for a moment.

A relay, because it's a mechanical device, is going to fail eventually. And the Main Relay is an important one, in our cars especially so because it's really two relays in one shell, the 2nd one being connected to the fuel pump. So why in god's name did they put this thing where it's such a pain to get at it? The sonofabitch fought me at every turn. It was a hot, sweaty day, and I had other plans. But Saturday morning the car cranked and wouldn't fire on several tries. I let it sit for a moment and it finally started, so I figured that it was time for a new Main Relay. Ran up to a semi-local Honda dealer and for $64 had one to put in (at least one was in stock).

OK, where is this guy? Put my head under the dash and couldn't see shit. I might add that I'm 6'3 and also 63, so I have legs all over the place, and my focal point is out there in Arkansas somewhere. So it was cardboard on the driveway and heavy-duty magnifying reading glasses on my nose. Plus I have a big head, and a 5 speed car (more pedals). Like I said, I couldn't see shit under the dash.

Retrenching, I logged on and did a search. Read that you can see the beast by taking out the change drawer, so I did. There it was, back in there up on the left side, bolted in. I was mightily tempted to unplug the wire from the old one and let it sit there, then plug in the new piece and just push it back in the pile of wires. But I thought it might rattle, and anyway, the car deserves better, so I proceeded to take the old relay out.

I felt like a surgeon doing an artheroscopic operation. I had enough room for my hand, as long as I didn't want to do anything with my fingers, like grab something. Even the damn connector didn't come off willingly. I considered dropping the fuse block, but didn't know exactly what I might be getting into there, so decided not to. I couldn't get enough movement on a ratchet wrench handle through the change drawer opening, so I ended up using a deep socket, plus two long extensions connected in the middle by a universal joint (1/4" drive) to go kind of up and over the several wires, the frame tube, and assorted other impediments in front of the fuse block. Once the relay was out, then getting the new one back in with the bolt hanging through the mounting plate without dropping said bolt down to god knows where, well, that was more aggravation. The best part of an hour and all of my good will had evaporated. I was thinking bad thoughts, evil thoughts, about those Honda engineers who decided to put this relay where possibly only little Japanese hands could get at it. What did we ever do to them to deserve this? (OK, we did a couple of things, but that was 40 years before the mid-80's). I can't remember cussing out a car since I had my '85 Volvo, which is now, thankfully, history. I love my SE-i, and I can forgive something like the power antenna motor being buried back there, because (a) if you want the antenna in the A pillar that's where it has to go, and (b) a power antenna loss isn't the end of the world, but a Main Relay in that location?!. I mean, fuck them for this. Sheesh!

<End of Rant>. Now someone tell me that if I would have spent 2 minutes unbolting the fuse block the whole job could have been done in another 5, so I can slit my wrists.

Legend_master
08-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I was so pissed that I couldn't get to mine, I eventually just twisted it until the metal clip separated from the plastic. The damn thing is held on with two 10MM bold and all the interior body tubing doesnt allow for any tools to get in there :dunno: . They must not have expected those to go out so often.

lostforawhile
08-25-2007, 09:01 PM
most people just unplug the old one and leave it there,then zip tie the new one in place. it's actually really easy to drop the fuse box,disconnect the negative lead on the battery,a couple of bolts,and the connectors on the back unplug. much eaisier to do. hope you recover from the contortionist act soon.

w261w261
08-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Well, mine only had one bolt holding it. It's like most things, the first time you do it it takes forever, but I guess if I had to do it again, now that I have the technique down, it wouldn't be too bad, just a moderate pain in the ass instead of a frustrating slog. I'm just glad I had the U-joint for the ratchet extensions, because putting them together allowed me to arc up and over the frame tube and wires, and get some leverage on the bolt. I forgot to mention the insulation that looks like mouse fur getting all over everything too. It's on the ductwork.

But why put the relay there? Did they really think it was never going to fail? An uncharacteristic fuckup from Uncle Honda.

lostforawhile
08-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Well, mine only had one bolt holding it. It's like most things, the first time you do it it takes forever, but I guess if I had to do it again, now that I have the technique down, it wouldn't be too bad, just a moderate pain in the ass instead of a frustrating slog. I'm just glad I had the U-joint for the ratchet extensions, because putting them together allowed me to arc up and over the frame tube and wires, and get some leverage on the bolt. I forgot to mention the insulation that looks like mouse fur getting all over everything too. It's on the ductwork.

But why put the relay there? Did they really think it was never going to fail? An uncharacteristic fuckup from Uncle Honda.the gremlins decieded to put it there. it's almost as bad as getting to the cruise control. there is plenty of room under the passenger seat,and other controls are there. funny rant by the way. i'm no spring chicken myself anymore and i've been building hose feedthroughs under the dash by the pedals and installing linkages under there so i feel your pain literally. in the old days might have been laughed about over a beer,now it's over a glass of water and a BC powder.

LX-incredible
08-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Can't you just leave the bracket and case up there and just swap the internals? :dunno:

Oldblueaccord
08-26-2007, 12:01 AM
If you leave it loose you can grab it as a anti theft too.

wp

MessyHonda
08-26-2007, 01:28 AM
when i do a dash swap il make sure to not put it back to place.

2oodoor
08-26-2007, 02:31 AM
the gremlins decieded to put it there. it's almost as bad as getting to the cruise control. there is plenty of room under the passenger seat,and other controls are there. funny rant by the way. i'm no spring chicken myself anymore and i've been building hose feedthroughs under the dash by the pedals and installing linkages under there so i feel your pain literally. in the old days might have been laughed about over a beer,now it's over a glass of water and a BC powder.

Wow I feel a lot better now that I know I am among unsprung chickens....

yes anything under these dashes is a pretzel show. I guess maybe ensuring the battery and termnals etc. are always kept in tip top shape as a preventive maitenance to keep these main relays in good condition??
W261 I assume that fixed the problem? I am not against using tie wraps either. I feel your pain as well 6'5".. and a fresh epidural block :o)

Legend_master
08-26-2007, 02:51 AM
If you leave it loose you can grab it as a anti theft too.

wp

:werd: I do that, what asshole is going to walk around with a 3gee Main relay so they can steal my car? It really is the ultimate theft control.

w261w261
08-26-2007, 06:15 AM
:...what asshole is going to walk around with a 3gee Main relay so they can steal my car? It really is the ultimate theft control.

Probably a good place for a hidden kill switch behind the change drawer. Could be right in the fuel pump relay circuit.

MessyHonda
08-26-2007, 07:44 AM
:werd: I do that, what asshole is going to walk around with a 3gee Main relay so they can steal my car? It really is the ultimate theft control.

they can still tow it away tho.

2drSE-i
08-26-2007, 08:30 AM

true, but who is gonna go through that trouble over a 3g?

honestly though, if they wanna steal your car, they will

Legend_master
08-26-2007, 11:31 AM

Most thief's around here dont do anything that will bring attention, and towing a car is kinda noticeable :lol: .

thegreatdane
08-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Lol yea the fuse panel does remove very easily if you just remove those two nuts holding it and that would have given you a lot more space. Oh well too late for that now, but thank you for an entertaining read haha. I think most of us has been through the same annoying job.

MessyHonda
08-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Most thief's around here dont do anything that will bring attention, and towing a car is kinda noticeable :lol: .

yeah i bet most of the fixed up 3geez the owners have them in garages. i sure hope they do.

carotman
08-28-2007, 03:54 AM
Don't throw your old one out yet. You can just resolder the connections on the circuit board and it's going to be a brand new thing again.

lostforawhile
08-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Don't throw your old one out yet. You can just resolder the connections on the circuit board and it's going to be a brand new thing again.
if you don't know how to solder contact me and i'll do it for you. send it here and it won't take me any time at all to fix it and send it back. then you have a spare.

w261w261
08-28-2007, 03:41 PM
if you don't know how to solder contact me and i'll do it for you. send it here and it won't take me any time at all to fix it and send it back. then you have a spare.

That's very kind of you to offer, and I should have thought of the recycle potential before I threw it in the trash Saturday. Monday I took everything to the dump. It now sleeps with the earthworms.

lostforawhile
08-28-2007, 05:24 PM
That's very kind of you to offer, and I should have thought of the recycle potential before I threw it in the trash Saturday. Monday I took everything to the dump. It now sleeps with the earthworms.THREE G DUMP MEET TO SAVE W261W261;816151'S MAIN RELAY,BRING A SHOVEL AND NOSEPLUGS,CAH BRING YOUR CAR AND WE WILL GIVE IT A PROPER BURIAL

HondaBoy
08-28-2007, 07:29 PM
^:rofl:. yeah, hope i dont have this happen soon. i'll be cussing my car out like you cant imagine.

w261w261
08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
THREE G DUMP MEET TO SAVE W261W261;816151'S MAIN RELAY,BRING A SHOVEL AND NOSEPLUGS,CAH BRING YOUR CAR AND WE WILL GIVE IT A PROPER BURIAL

LOL! I bet we could get it out of the landfill easier than I could get unbolted.

2oodoor
08-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Can you say (sawsall) ? demolition blade is one wicked tool, you can have a moblie home cut into about eight flat pieces to load up on a flatbed truck all before lunch, Im sure you could get a piece out of a Honda in about a half hour
lol

Whiter
10-01-2007, 06:19 AM
son of a brewski in order to start my car after having the heater running i have to slam my door and it starts, people think its funny but i say fuck that im going to the scrap yard to see if i can get lucky with a new relay. not looking forward to this im quite tall as well.

also since i bumped this thread my rad is rotting away on the ac fan side at the bottom pissing coolant, should i go to the scrap yard and get a new rad or buy new i think the scrap yard should do it they have a 90 day waranty i can see if its screwed as well or not, also is this a hard fix i plan on doing it before night fall today (east coast) including the relay and checking out my oil leak near the drivers seat part of the engine bay it is fucking up my driveway

A18A
10-01-2007, 06:31 AM
THREE G DUMP MEET TO SAVE W261W261;816151'S MAIN RELAY,BRING A SHOVEL AND NOSEPLUGS,CAH BRING YOUR CAR AND WE WILL GIVE IT A PROPER BURIAL

bahahahahahahahah!!!

Tomisimo
10-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the input... I'll relocate mine when I get into removing my dash for paint and such... I might just know how you feel man. There was a time when I got to swap a AC regulator on a Suzuki POS. Hell I really didn't it was possible.. Something like that you tall us....

A18A
12-24-2007, 04:55 AM
the one in my car took a shit today, and since i was in a rush i didnt wanna bother unbolting the old one and bolting in another one, so i just let the good one hang... took all of 30 or something seconds to get it going again, or about a minute since i tried to start the car and noticed no click

AccordB20A
12-24-2007, 01:34 PM
i decided not to replace the main relay in my 1st efi accord. it used to piss me around and not work. for a quick fix that lasted 6 months i simply kicked the dash area where the relay is and click away it went lol

moonjaw2002
12-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Any time i work under the dash i remove the front seat,4 srews and it is out of the way.It makes it easy to lay in the floor and not have to fight the seat.
Mark

Blkblurr
01-02-2008, 01:29 PM
How many miles do those of you that have problems with this relay have? I have 253,000 miles on mine and never a problem

w261w261
01-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I started this thread at the end of last summer, and it had started about 3 mos before that. That would have put it at about 190,000 miles and 18 years. You could probably just wait until the symptoms start, if you know how to locate it so you can give it a whack. I'm more of a fix it before it breaks person, so I'd just do it if I were you.

2drSE-i
01-03-2008, 01:05 PM
mine started going bad a year and a half ago, about 17 years and 135k miles....mine didnt last very long mileage wise, but i think the issue isnt how much use the relay gets, i think its probably how much the solder is heated and cooled over the years (probably quite a bit with 120 degree summers here...)

justpassntime
04-01-2008, 04:28 PM
The only better place they could have put this main relay would be up behind the sunroof mount brakets! I had too change mine too mine didn't get bolted back in place either.

lostforawhile
06-22-2010, 04:06 PM
it's vibration on the main relay solder, the 120 degree heat isn't going to affect it. I would say zip tie it up under the dash, but put some kind of shock absorbing material between it and what it mounts to. it's probably some sort of resonant frequency the car produces that just happens to act on it.

Legend_master
06-22-2010, 04:41 PM
It's like traveling back in time, I still remember not wanting to remove the one on my second 3gee lol.

stat1K
06-23-2010, 12:25 PM
why are all these old posts being drug up.