PDA

View Full Version : locks

import racer
08-27-2007, 05:38 PM
ok on my 88 i just got the key only works the ign and pass door have to get to the j/y to get all from same car. do i need to get the whole handle or do the locks come out seperatly?

Legend_master
08-27-2007, 05:42 PM
ok on my 88 i just got the key only works the ign and pass door have to get to the j/y to get all from same car. do i need to get the whole handle or do the locks come out seperatly?

The locks come out separately, but be careful. Once you have pulled them out they fall apart, and have to be put together exactly the way they were disassembled.

Vanilla Sky
08-28-2007, 05:06 PM
I rebuilt the lock cylinders in my car. It took me about 30 minutes each to take them apart, clean them, reassemble them, and graphite them.

What is you're particular problem? I'm what I like to call a "hobbyist locksmith." This was honestly one of the easier locks that I've rebuilt.

Then again, I consider myself a "hobbyist locksmith."

import racer
08-28-2007, 06:01 PM
when i bought the car the key only fits the ignition and passengers door,need to have one key to work all locks.i think i'll get the whole handle for each door as well as the ign and trunk and back serat.

Vanilla Sky
08-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Ahh, ok. Junkyard for a whole set of locks and you'll be golden.

import racer
08-28-2007, 07:09 PM
do the door handles have to be off a 2 door or are 4 door front doors the same.

ryan2107
08-28-2007, 07:29 PM
when i did it i took the whole thing witrh the handles..... cause it had the key in the car so i took all of them off a black lxi its easier i think ...

LX-incredible
08-28-2007, 07:42 PM
do the door handles have to be off a 2 door or are 4 door front doors the same.

I remember them being a little different. I replaced a lock cylinder and was able to re-key it without too much difficulty. 3 of the pins worked in different locations and I was able to shave the fourth down with a pocket knife. The fifth pin didn't have enough metal to work with, so I left it out. I think if you get two from different cars, you should be able to find five pins that fit. It's really easy, insert pins into the first slot until you find one that doesn't stick out of either side, with the key inserted. Put it on a piece of paper and number. Repeat for the other pins. If some don't fit perfectly, find the closest with extra metal on the side that the key pushes up on. You then can remove the excess metal with a small knife. Took me like 15 min, much easier than pulling a door panel, ignition lock, trunk lock, seat lock, fuel/trunk lever lock.

EDIT: Maybe it was 6 pins... either way, it was easy.